Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLS free shampoos)

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by kitkatkitkat3, Jun 19, 2008.

1. I’ve been noticing some odd patterns of shedding recently – it seems that one time I’ll wash my hair and I’ll have a relatively high shed the next couple of days, and the next time I wash it, the shed will be less. I didn’t really think about it until I was in the shower last night and thought ‘which shampoo is it today?’

I switch between two shampoos each time I wash my hair, and now realise that my shed is lower with an SLS free shampoo and higher with the shampoo which has SLS. This has been going on too long to be a coincidence.

As a bit of background, I’m a very allergic person – I’ve gotten worse as I’ve gotten older, and developed allergies to a whole series of products meaning I can’t use a lot of creams and perfumes etc. I’ve undergone so many tests I can’t tell you and there is so much I can’t use. Most recently I have discovered I’m allergic to lanolin, which is a product they put in moisturisers and creams that makes them smooth and creamy. So could I also be allergic to SLS (which they put in shampoo to make it foam up)?! I wouldn’t put it past me!

I am not saying that shampoo has caused my hair loss – I don’t believe that for a minute. And I also doubt this would be an issue for people who aren’t very allergic or sensitive to products like this, but in my case, I think that using this product could be making things worse. I will cut it out completely and see what happens.

Do you all think I’m crazy or does this sound feasible?

2. alicat

alicat Guest

You COULD be allergic to the SLS. I think that is the reason why some people avoid it.

I have been using shampoo with SLS all my life-- even when I had gorgeous hair! So for ME, it's ok, but maybe not for you?

3. hairyape

hairyape Guest

I, too, find SLS irritating to the scalp.

4. alicat

alicat Guest

Oh yeah...is there possibly anything else in the shampoo that could be bothering you. I know shampoo seems to have a loooong list of ingredients, so maybe it's something else?

What shampoo are you using?

5. HelenBrown

HelenBrown Guest

If you are an allergic person, it could very well be that SLS shampoos do no good for your hair. Maybe the sls irritates your scalp, and that's the reason why more hairs (that probably already were in the telogen phase) fall out.

But as you say, I don't believe it's the CAUSE of your hair loss either... It can be a contribution to it, but not a cause.

You do not sound paranoid at all, just stop using the shampoo and see what happens.

6. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Kit,

From what I understand about TE, amount of shedding can vary considerably from 1 day to the next.

I'm so happy to hear that yours is decreasing, though.

HA

7. Thanks guys,

Well I'm using bed head SLS free at the moment - and another one which I'll be stopping as of now! Does anyone use any other SLS free shampoos they can recommend? I like to switch products regularly!

Ali - I could be allergic to other stuff in there, I'm such an allergic person it wouldn't surprise me!

8. Pearl

Pearl Guest

I went SLS free a couple of months ago. I'm using Kiss My Face Big Body Shampoo. It's the only sulfate free shampoo I've tried, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Here are a few other brands I've considered but haven't tried yet:
    Beauty Without Cruelty - Volume Plus for Fine Hair
    Avalon Organics Thickening, Biotin B-Complex
    Burt's Bees Very Volumizing

9. Thanks Pearl - I wonder what I can get in the UK - I'll look those up..

You could also Bed Head Tigi Superstar for thick massive hair. It's SLS free and smells really nice

10. alicat

alicat Guest

smell is important to me. out of curiosity, i smelled some organic shampoo last night and man, can we say NASTY smell? ugh. i couldn't handle my hair smelling like that! i can't recall the brand i smelled, but it was strong and way too minty.

11. ttc

ttc Guest

I ordered some shampoo and conditioner online several month ago that called "Long Hair Lovers" (the irony...right???) but it's all organic and has emu oil in it. The shampoo is ok, doesn't lather at all, but I really like the conditioner. It smells mostly like lavender. Both are sulfate free.

12. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

I use Dr. Hauschka. Its organic and damn good! It makes my hair soft and shiny.

BTW: I did a experience with shampoo: I used a normal foamy one. I did not shed that much (a cheap shampoo). I used in the same wash Dr Hauschka and my hair came out, because it does not foam that much. Its just how the foam does not get a grip of the telogene hairs, because at the end I had the same amount of hair that was falling out (ofcourse) by washing it out. I thought that ws funny.

13. Well I thought I'd update after a week...

I've been recovering from my TE for a while now, and my shed was already dropping - but in the past week, my shed is now completely stabilised - as soon as I stopped using the other shampoo the shed stopped fluctuating every couple of days. It's steady at 20-40 hairs a day - and about 10 of those I usually pull out in the morning (I dont yank them! After I style my hair I just separate my hair in two and run my hands down the length of it - which usually yields about 10 hairs which were just loose in there and would've come out during the day anyway - then I flush 'em!)

The itching on my scalp I was also suffering is much improved too.

I cant believe I didnt think of this before..I shouldve known something like this could cause me extra problems. I've had severe excema since I was a kid, and had a massive flare up when I was about 19 and had to start cutting out a load of products..I guess this is something else for me to avoid.

Product wise, I might try Dr Hauschka - is it expensive goodyear?
    Pearl, what do you make of the one you're using?

Thanks girls!
    Kit

14. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Nice, happy, good-news story!

Keep going!

HA

15. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I recently discovered organix shampoo... and YUM!! it smells sooooooooo good... the website is http://www.organixhair.com/ it says that it's sulphate free... so i guess that's better than containing SLS... but it still has some form of Sodium blah blah something... ;p But no sulphates... if y'all see it in the store, open it and smell it... seriously... i have the Coconut one with Egg Whites (sounds gross, but it gives you a lot of volume) and also a tea tree mint one which smells like an andes candy (those chocolate mint ones)... i sat there and smelled all of the varieties that the store carried and they all smelled YUMMY!!

16. orbit

orbit Guest

Interesting about the SLS free shampoos.

Did you know that that same SLS is used in many of the big brand name toothpastes also? It helps the toothpaste to foam on your mouth. Recently at my house we switched to a SLS free toothpaste. I was experiencing reoccurring mouth irritations in the form of canker sores. After much research on diet and changing my foods things weren't improving.

Now that we've switched to "Biotene" toothpaste and mouth wash things are much better. That brand is marketed to persons that suffer dry mouth. In regular toothpastes the SLS actually strips the good enzymes, naturally occurring protective saliva and good bacteria from your mouth, leaving it vulnerable and exposed. The Biotene still has all the good stuff you need in toothpaste but minus the paint stripper effect.

Anyhoo, I just thought I'd add that in the SLS free thread.

Have a great weekend ladies!

17. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Orbit, that is VERY interesting... i always get those canker sores in my mouth and they are soooooo painful! Maybe the next time I'm at Whole Foods, i'll look for the SLS free toothpaste.

Oh, i also wanted to say that the Organix shampoo i mentioned above is completely SLS free.... i was comparing its ingredients to those of some Aveda SLS free shampoo and they contain the same things... so, y'all should give it a try. I also wanted to mention that they have mousse too, BUT it doesn't dissolve in my hair. It's a really weird consistency, so i've been mixing just a little bit of the Organix mousse with my regular mousse and it works well :)

18. Pearl

Pearl Guest

KitKat - Kiss My Face Big Body is alright. The fragrance is Lavender/Chamomile, but the chamomile is dominant. It does a pretty good job at volumizing, but my main issue with it is that it leaves my hair very tangly and rough. I will probably buy it again since I don't really care what my hair looks like :hairy: , but I can't say that I would recommend it.

Angela - Those Organix shampoos sound yummy! I'd like to try the mocha-espresso, but I'm afraid I would drink it.

19. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Tell me about it, i was tempted the other day with the coconut one ;)

20. Thanks guys!

Angela, those sound gorgeous - do you definitely recommend them? I've found them online but I cant get them in any store in the UK, I can order from amazon - they seem to be a pretty good price. How big is the bottle? Do you also have the conditioners? And if so, are they any good?

I've looked at the flavours..they all sound good! I'm torn between Shea butter, coconut milk, and citrus mango....did you smell those? And can you remember what they were like?! I dunno what to try!

Kit

p.s. I am continuing to use sulphate free shampoo and my scalp has pretty much stopped itching completely!