Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLS free shampoos)

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by kitkatkitkat3, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, Kitkat... I will say that I LOVE the coconut one - i think the whipped egg whites really give your hair body and again the scent is sooooooo yummy!! I have smelled the shea butter and it smells really good (like suntan lotion) . The store had the mango one but i didn't smell that one because i'm allergic to mango when i eat it and i didn't want to fall in love with the scent and rationalize to myself that i'm SURE it would be fine to use it topically and then come to find out that i'm allergic to eating mango AND rubbing it on my head... sorry that was the long way of saying i didn't smell it :) I also have the tea-tree oil and mint one. That one works nicely and smells like a chocolate mint candy.

I haven't tried the conditioners, so i don't know whether they're good or not. I would think so, but i don't know personally :( The bottles are about 13oz... so it's not a huge bottle, but it's not really small either. I tend to mix up my shampoo during the week.... i have about four that i rotate through, so they all last a long time for me :) It wouldn't hurt to order one bottle and if you like it you can always order more later... or maybe you can email someone at the website and see if they can send you samples. They might be willing to do that especially since you're an international buyer and you can't get it at any stores where you are... it might be worth a shot to ask :)

2. Thanks Angela!

I love coconut so maybe I'll give that a shot first and order it soon...no idea what 13 oz is though! We use ml over here..but it's only 4 quid so I'll just try and see. If I like them I can bulk order a few different ones!

Its much cheaper than the bedhead stuff I'm using now so will see how it goes.

My boyfriend has inherited about 5 shampoos I've now discarded cos they have sulphate in!

3. Hi Angela - I ordered the coconut one today. Lord - it's expensive here cos of the postage and packing. I can only get it through amazon and the company charges quite a lot! I reckon I could save on it if I order it in bulk but want to give it a go first before I order a tonne of the stuff. I hope its good!

4. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    oh no! I'm so sorry it's so expensive. I really hope you like it, or else i'm gonna feel guilty :( Well, if you DO like it, i could always get it for you here and ship it to you and you could just reimburse me through paypal or something :)

5. Aw you are such a sweetie! Am sure if I like it and buy it in bulk the shipping will be better value. And dont you feel guilty if I dont like it - but I'm sure I will!

6. forks

forks Guest

I just bought the Organix shampoo (shea butter) at CVS for $6.99 (with a mail-in rebate for $6.99!). Thank you for the recommendation Angela!

It has Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate.... is that bad?

Unfortunately I haven't been impressed with Wen so I'm hoping this is better for me.

7. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Hair*Envy,

I was about to purchase that same shampoo (Organics) but then noticed the sulfate-based ingredient and changed my mind.

How is it working for you?

PS.

I don't understand how a product can cal itself organic when sulfates are used in it :thumbdown2:

I think there is a distinction regulated by the FDA between "organic" and "100% organic". If it's not 100% organic, some synthetic or non-organic ingredients may be contained.

8. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I noticed that too, but that is EXACTLY the same thing that's in the Aveda shampoo that i bought. They claim to be all plant based and organic too and they charge you a crapload more... so i figured if Aveda's shampoo has it... then it's okay :)

9. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the definition that i just got on the web for it "Extra mild and natural cleansing agent derived from vegetable oils. Not a sulfate. Found in Alchemilla Foaming Facial Cleansing Gel."

10. hairyape

hairyape Guest

That sounds pretty good :woot:

11. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you should give it a try :)

12. forks

forks Guest

I'm going to try it tomorrow - can't wait! That's good the DLS isn't the bad stuff.

13. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Let me know how you like it! Can't beat the price you got it at though, so if you don't like it, at least you didn't waste any money :) Just don't forget to turn in your rebate :)

14. forks

forks Guest

HAHA - I mailed the rebate in first thing this morning!!! ;)

15. Helloo!!

My coconut organix shampoo and conditioners arrived this morning (in amazingly large and well protected packaging!) Oh my life - it smells GORGEOUS!! Almost want to wash my hair now but gotta go to work! The bottles are a pretty decent size too - I usually switch between 2 shampoos during the week so it should last me a while...fingers crossed it gives me volume and I dont have any adverse reactions! I'll report back!

Hair envy - how did you like it?

16. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, kitkat and Hair*Envy, i want to know how you both like it (or don't like it).... so post when you get a chance :)

17. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I am going to buy some shampoo today and I am going to a beauty/salon supply store that has ALL the name brands..

I need a thickening shampoo that wont dry out my hair....tricky huh..!!!

What is the best shampoo and conditioner for thin, dry, processed hair??

THANK YOU!

18. Try Bed head tigi superstar for thick massive hair - its what I use. Its volumising and it really makes my hair soft and shiny - doesnt dry it out at all. Plus its SLS free. You could try switching to SLS free if you haven't already. My shed has been lower and stable since stopping shampoo with sulphates...

Im gonna wash my hair with the new organix stuff in about half an hour....will post back my thoughts!

19. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Thanks kitkat!!

20. Well - I tried the organix coconut!

Love the bottle, and the smell is absolutely gorgeous! I did lose more hair than average in the shower but Im not sure its anything to do with the shampoo!
    My hair has dried naturally now - its very soft and shiny, and smells delicious. It doesnt give me as much volume as the tigi does, but so far I like it! Will see how it holds up after some more washes!