Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

sorry for all the posts, just trying to figure it all out..

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by gundy, Jun 9, 2006.

1. gundy

gundy Guest

I was wondering if any of you know if the quality of your remaining hair changes with Alopecia Areata or other forms of alopecia? My hair used to be very coarse and thick - especially the white ones - but now, what IS growing is coming in ultra fine and it's all I can do to hold it up with a comb and not have it flop over - -it's pathetic. Would this be an indicator that the rest of it is dying and on its way out as well or just that I might have more going on than PCOS? Any ideas? Also - do any of you get ingrown eyebrows at all? I had a sore above my eye this morning and it turned out to be an ingrown eyebrow - first one ever in my life. And my eyelashes - fugheddaboutit- they're mostly gone - but the ones that ARE growing back are growing back halfway DOWN my eyelid - and therefore they poke me in the eye when I close my eye - so I must pluck them - how annoying is this? They could at least have the common decency to grow back in their proper place - geesh, the NERVE of them! :)

2. maisydaisy

maisydaisy Guest

Hi Gundy, and welcome to the forums. I have Alopecia Areata, and although my regrowth is initially white, it always eventually grows back in the same as the rest of my hair. At least it has up until this point.

I really can't tell you whether your change in texture means you're going to lose what's left. I don't think anyone can really predict how much is going to go or when. Maybe some other ladies have experienced something similar in terms of a different hair texture growing in and they can speak up here and tell you if it signifies anything.

Best of luck and again welcome.

3. I can tell you from experience that when I was going through my bouts of Alopecia Areata what hair I had left looked horrible. It was very dry and brittle. I've had this condition since age 5. Remissions can happen at any point. This is an unperdictable condition. There is really no way to tell how much or little someone will lose.

As for the ingrown eyebrow. It can happen. If your hair is growing back in it sometimes is not strong enough to break the surface of your skin. When my Alopecia goes into remission I have the same problem. I use a shampoo called T-Sal by Neturogena. It does seem to help. Don't worry about asking all the questions. At one time or another all of us have been right where you are.

4. 53balder

53balder Guest

Kimby,
    You mentioned using TSal for when your alopecia goes into remission. Why would TSal help? Do you have dry itchy scaling scalp when it starts growing? I keep wondering what might help my scalp as far as shampoo since it's so dry, achy and with very fine dry scale (been told it's diffuse Alopecia Areata). I always thought TSal would be too irritating and drying. That's why I'm wondering how it helps you - does your scalp feel better, less tight?

Thanks,

5. Karen

Karen Guest

Hi Gundy

I have Alopecia Areata and at first it came in white downy like fuzz then turned brown and very curly and very thick. I never had curly hair before but that's what it's doing now.

6. Hi 53,

The T-Sal was actually recommended by a Derm I took my son to see. When my remissions happen my scalp gets itchy but besides that I get these ingrown hairs that form (for lack of a better description) a pimple. The T-Sal helps to calm the itching and the pimples. Plus it leaves my scalp feeling soft. You may want to give it a try. It's a little on the expensive side and the bottle is small. But what I do is use it maybe only twice a week. Then if I have a flare up I'll use everyday until it's back in check.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you give it a try and how it works for you.