Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Spironolactone For High Levels Of Dhea-s And Testosterone

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Myles, May 5, 2019.

1. Myles

Myles New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank god for the people behind this forum and for all the users who are providing information and stories.

I noticed in February that my hair was breaking but I attributed it to potentially the winter weather and simply got a cut. Then in March I noticed quite a bit of shedding and that my hair felt less dense. Long story short I went to the doctor and we ruled out PCOS through ultrasounds. However, the blood work shows specifically very high levels of DHEA-s and testosterone. Everything else is normal (including other hormones, thyroid, iron, etc.) We did two rounds to confirm.

Now I am on spironolactone 100 mg/day (as of week or so; taking it in the evening with dinner) and I understand the max is 200 mg. I also started using Rogaine and am going through the dread shed which feels like the scariest thing of my life (the shed started about 2-3 weeks, and I am at week 5). What a vein thing to say but it is how I feel and I am having a hard time not having a melt down.

I understand it spironolactone is not effective for all - particularly those with DHT sensitivity to even regular hormone levels. But my question for others on here is how successful spironolactone worked for those who were able to confirm that they had high hormone levels?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some feedback. Grateful for this and trying my best to stay positive.

2. Kiki

Kiki New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately for me, even though spironolactone brought my levels down (my T is low normal, DHEAS is now in range and serum DHT is minuscule), my hair loss has not stopped. I finally brought my ferritin up to 80 so maybe that will help.

3. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My testosterone and dht levels are fine for me it’s dheas that have been slightly elevated. I haven’t a clue how to bring them down. I did lose a little weight and cut dairy and sugar of any kind down a couple years ago and seemed to bring them in range. I do think diet plays a role in hormones somehow