Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Spironolactone Making Skin Breakout?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by mrvitous26, Feb 21, 2016.

1. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all,

So I need to see a dermatologist asap because I have been getting red bumps and spots and rashes on my body... I am not sure if it is from the Spironolactone or what...

What's odd is that I have been taking 50 mg of it for over a year and this is only starting to happen now...

I am however thinking about going off of it because it makes my skin feel weird and I think that much of my success is from Rogaine and not the Spironolactone...

Have any of you had a similar experience? I really would like to hear from you as this is such a big decision to make... I can't wait to see my dermo to get this figured out.

Thank you for reading.

-Michelle

2. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on double the dose of Spironolactone you are on, and have not experienced any negative skin changes. Spironolactone has improved my skin dramatically, I cannot even believe how clear my skin is after over a decade of persistent, moderate acne. It has dried out my skin a little I think, mostly my lips and hands and my face (although that could be from the topicals I'm using as well,) small price to pay for almost 100% clear skin.

As far as discontinuing Spironolactone and whether that's a bad idea, it depends, almost entirely, on what type of alopecia you have. If it's androgenic or in any way related to androgens, such as hair loss caused by PCOS, then it might not be such a great idea, although you are on such a low dose that I cannot imagine the Spironolactone having a significant anti androgenic effect (or at least not enough of one to treat/reverse hair loss.) Spironolactone's anti androgenic properties are really only supposed to manifest at doses of 100 mg and higher, although smaller doses are used to treat hormonal acne with success, so even doses under 100 mg obviously have some effect on hormones. Maybe you are right in thinking that most of your regrowth is from Rogaine, I can't tell you with certainty.

That's my $0.02! Sorry I can't help more and that my response is all over the place.