Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Spironolactone working for everything but hair loss?

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by coveredmirrors, Nov 3, 2013.

1. I've been dealing with hair loss since I was around 17, and am not 24. Yasmin seemed to be working for the hair loss until I stupidly went off of it. After a horrific episode over last fall/winter/early spring (during which I went on Spironolactone, Progesterone, resumed Yasmin, and Metformin for a brief time) I finally got the shed to normalize for a few months. There might have even been some regrowth, as my hair seemed denser during the summer. The pill helps regulate my periods and the Spironolactone has done an incredible job with reducing my excess body hair. The amount of body hair has stayed the same of course, but it is infinitely lighter and finer. Unfortunately, my hair shed has started again the beginning of Oct. It seems so strange to me that I had success with the pill (which essentially has .25mg of Spironolactone in it, which is presumably the reason it helped my hair loss in the first place) before but not now. Especially since I take 200mg of Spironolactone daily on top of that. I know Androgenetic Alopecia (going to derm this month to confirm that's what I have) is very difficult to treat, but wouldn't you think if the meds worked so well for reducing the hirsutum caused by excess androgens it would for the hair loss as well? Anyone experience the same? Thanks for listening...it is great to have a sounding board for all these questions :)

2. GypsyKate

GypsyKate Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    No matter what I do, my shed picks up in the fall - every year like clockwork. It took me a couple of years to realize it. I'm not sure if it's some sort of biological cycle or because my work always makes me crazy in the fall. I think it's likely the latter.
    Stay on the meds.
    What's your Spironolactone dose? For hair loss it should be 200mg/day. I've been on 100mg/day for years, knowing that it will do little for my hair loss.

3. ichabod_lovesme

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been on Spironolactone and natazia for over a year - started to actually see some weight loss, hair on body is finer, hair loss is the same - ive moved on to a topper and am now moving into a full cap - letting go of this last batch of hair -