Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Spironolactone!

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by bella496, Sep 29, 2015.

1. bella496

bella496 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Everybody!

My shed has gone down but it's still significant and my doctor decided to put me on a low dose of Spironolactone to see if it does any good. I know that the most common side effects seem to be low blood pressure and having to pee often but I was wondering if any of guys have experienced any others? Everybody's bodies react differently to things so our experiences will be slightly different, I know, but I'd like an idea of what I'm getting into before I start on the medication.

Thanks,

Bella

2. Megan M

Megan M Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'd wait before starting Spironolactone. Spironolactone can actually do more harm than good. If your hair loss has decreased give yourself some more time.

3. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Megan, on what are you basing your statement that Spironolactone can do more harm than good?

If bella496 has Androgenetic Alopecia, Spironolactone should, at least theoretically, help. If she's not surethat Androgenetic Alopecia is causing her hair loss, then that's another story.

Spironolactone is said to only help causes of hair loss that are hormonal in nature.

Spironolactone has estrogenic functions, though, and it is widely believed that estrogen is good for hair. So in some cases, it's possible Spironolactone could help based on that alone, given whatever other causes of hair loss are also being addressed.

In response to the original question, Spironolactone, for me, has caused breast tenderness and enlargement, as well as spotting, in addition to the diuretic functions you mentioned.

4. bella496

bella496 Member

Dislikes Received:
    May I ask what dose you're on?

5. labellavita1985

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on 100 mg now, but started out at 50 mg, and increased by 25 mg every month. I'm also on Yaz, which contains 25 mg drospinenone, which is supposed to be the exact same thing as Spironolactone. So in reality my dose is probably more like 125 mg. My doctors and I don't think I have Androgenetic Alopecia, as my loss was sudden, but I have a hormonal imbalance and acne, so Spironolactone was a good option for me.

6. bella496

bella496 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, my loss was sudden as well and is more characteristic of CTE than Androgenetic Alopecia but it's been almost two years since I've started shedding and my estrogen is a little low (I've got hormonal acne, too) my doctor suggested this as option.

I just read a bunch of horror stories on the internet (I know, I know) about people gaining loads of weight on Spironolactone, amongst other unpleasant side effects and freaked myself out a bit.

7. labellavita1985

Dislikes Received:
    I've read a few things about Spironolactone and weight gain too, but have not experienced any. Spironolactone is actually also associated with weight loss, presumably a result of its diuretic functions.

Honestly, I think something like weight gain is mostly controllable. If you decide to get on Spironolactone, just watch your diet, exercise, and moderate your energy input/output ratio. That's something we should all be doing anyway; this is especially true for those of us who are overweight or prone to weight gain.

How much are you shedding on a daily basis?

8. bella496

bella496 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've never counted hairs but I can't run my fingers through my hair without losing strands and strands. At this point I'm guessing it's CTE with some Androgenetic Alopecia mixed in.

9. labellavita1985

Dislikes Received:
    I know that this probably isn't good for one's anxiety/depression, but my hair loss doctor said it's always good to count, if not everyday, every once in a while, so you and your doctors can have a better idea of what's going on. I agree with him. Otherwise, it's almost impossible to know if you are actually even losing hair, since it's normal to shed 100, or in some cases, up to 150 hairs a day. I count everyday.

10. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was terrified to start Spironolactone after all of the negative things I read on the Internet (I knew I shouldn't have done that) but did eventually start. I began with half a 25mg pill a day in June & now up to 150mg. It has cut down on oil production on my face & I think it has helped my shedding some but I can't say for certain. Since I went up to 125 I have started to get my period/spot mid cycle. Ugh. But my dr said this will most likely stop after 2-3 cycles. We shall see! As far as weight gain- I've lost weight every month since I've been on it. So much that I need to pack on calories daily to maintain my weight. Good luck!

11. bella496

bella496 Member

Dislikes Received:
    My doctor is starting me on 25mg a day (but I might cut them in half too--don't want to overdo it). Thank you both so much for sharing your experiences. :)

12. labellavita1985

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to say that Spironolactone reduced oil production on my face and scalp for me too, and I think it may have helped with my seb derm.