Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Starting Rogaine On Monday.. Tips??

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by tula, Nov 24, 2018.

1. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    I finally ordered it. I am so nervous, but it's time. I have now come to grips that I have very similar thinning to my mom, temples and frontal. You can't see her scalp at all, but it's very thin. But my hair loss started about 25 years before hers did. :( So who knows how mine will be at her age.
    Her sisters and my grandma do not have loss. My grandpa had thinning. It must be us getting those lucky genes! Ugh. SO disappointing to think I have to use this stuff for the next 40+ years. I can't even imagine.
    Of course, that is if it works.
    My biggest concern is it making my hair worse or my scalp being too sensitive for it. I got the foam.
    Any tips or good stories?? I have seen a few positive stories on here.
    I will try and do updates and photos once I get going.

TinaM1968 likes this.
  2. Amanda30

Amanda30 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tula,

I have been using Minoxidil (along with a few other things) since January. I was so terrified when I put it on for the first time and cried the whole time because of the dreaded shed!! But I have to say, yes, my hair shed a bit for about two weeks. And it was scary and I cried the whole time. BUT my hair has improved!! I had some headaches and scalp irritation the first week or two as well which also went away. My part has improved and there is a noticeable difference. Everyone is different but to me it’s worth trying. Any loss, if it works or not, will grow back. I would say If there isn’t improvement with side affects or shedding after a couple weeks just consult a dermatologist to check in. I know it’s scary but it was worth it for me! Good luck and hope this was helpful!

3. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:

At what point did you start shedding? And was it substantially more? I am about 3 weeks in (I didn't start when I posted! I was nervous and waited.)
    I don't think I have much shedding going on more than normal. Which is good, but also makes me think it might not work for me.
    Also, do you think it only works where you apply it or does it work all over? I wonder if I need to be more careful in applying.
    I have had no side effects so far. I actually have itchiness from Seb Derm and it seems to help it. Which is very odd. Lol
    I will just keep at it for the next few months and hope for the best.

4. Clare

Clare New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tula,

Just curious how you are getting on? Did you experience much shed after? I am going to start on minoxidil this weekend, I’m terrified of what will happen. But also terrified what will happen if I don’t try!

5. Simona1986

Simona1986 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My experience... my dread shed start after 3 weeks i think and i had it for 4 months. And now i have perioads when i shed more than normal when i wash my hair for a weeks or two. My shedding never stopped completely or how was before but my scalp it's not visible and i have regrowth.

6. Amanda30

Amanda30 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tula! I started shedding about two weeks in and I would say it lasted about a month. After there I would shed maybe like 5 hairs a day. I also showed significant regrowth, but again was on some other things and was told it was likely due to being on both Rogaine and Spironolactone. But due to it helping with shedding I feel it was working. Therefore shedding amount I do not feel directly correlates with success. I will say (been on it about a year) did have a three month more than normal shed due to the minoxidil aligning hair phases for all follicles but have been told that’s normal. Rogaine is systemic so it should work all over. Hope this helped!

7. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have not had a shed at all at this point. I am about 2 months in. I have some new hairs along my hairline, nothing significant. No change in my temples. I am thinking that either I will be lucky and have no shed or I am not s good responder to Rogaine. My center part looks worse. Maybe I am shedding extra just not enough to notice? I dont know what to think. I am going to keep going with it though.
    I have not had a shed at this point. It’s been about 2 months. I have a few new hairs along my hairline. Nothing significant. I can’t seem to get a good photo.
    No change to my temples. My front center part almost looks worse. So maybe I did shed a little but didn’t notice? Not sure. My thought is either I am lucky and I won’t get a bad shed OR I am not a good responder to Rogaine. But I am going to keep going with it and see what happens!

8. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi!
    I am not expecting a full recovery, I just want it filled in enough that if the wind blows my hair and certain parts are exposed, it will not be embarrassing!!
    I have a pixie cut right now that really hides my thinning. Mine is almost all in the front and temples. Some thinning toward the back but nothing too visible. I hope Rogaine at least stops any more loss.
    Glad you are having a pretty good response to it!

TinaM1968 likes this.