Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Starting Rogaine: Severe Accutane Te

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by fairygirl, Aug 20, 2017.

1. fairygirl

fairygirl New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

I'm young and I've been dealing with severe Accutane-induced hair loss for over a year now. I've lost 70% of my amazingly thick Hispanic hair. I am so, so depressed. I'm moving to the US to start university, so I've decided to take the plunge and start 5% rogaine foam, which is what my derm recommended.

He told me that since I don't have signs of Androgenetic Alopecia (the loss is completely diffuse so I believe him.. seems like chronic TE), I can stop the minoxidil after 1-2 years. So, I'm using it to "jumpstart" my hair cycle and "coax my hairs into the growing phase".

I don't know how minoxidil works, nor do I know if he's just telling me pseudoscience. However, ALL my blood levels are fine and my ferritin is high, yet this is just not resolving.. so I need to try something.

I'm so, so terrified that Accutane has put my hair into non-stop shedding cycle, and that my hair will continue rapidly deteriorating until I'm in a wig at 21.Can't believe I went against my gut instinct and took this medication, knowing the risks.

Question: I have bought peppermint oil and want to incorporate it into my routine. I will apply the rogaine in the morning after washing my hair. Could I apply a hair mask containing peppermint oil to my head while the old rogaine is still on my skin, then wash my hair and then apply the new rogaine?

I'm praying I don't experience heavy shedding from starting the rogaine. Fingers crossed. I'll be updating here.

I'm also taking L cysteine and L lysine, zinc, D3, B12, biotin.

#1 fairygirl, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. Chillynorway

Chillynorway Member

Dislikes Received:
    The Rogaine needs 4 hours on dry scalp for maximum absorption. After that it shouldn't be a problem using hair masks etc.

3. Alice26

Alice26 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Fairygirl, I'm sorry you are going through this. I also have long-term CTE (just over three years, triggered by medical treatments) and have also lost about 70% of my formerly very thick hair.

No real advice, just wanted to say I relate. Also, I've never heard that CTE people could stop rogaine eventually. Interesting.

4. WJh

WJh New Member

Dislikes Received:
    When do you apply the Rogaine? On wet hair or dry? It is less sticky if I put it on when my hair is wet and then blow dry it. I also put on the topical steroid at the same time. What do people think about this regimen? My derm said I could put both on at once but I didn't ask about the wet or dry question.

5. Chillynorway

Chillynorway Member

Dislikes Received:
    Apply on dry scalp. Wet scalp and hair will dilute the Rogaine. I apply 5% liquid morning and evening

6. ladyfish75

ladyfish75 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, Fairygirl. So sorry to hear of your experience. I, too, first started losing hair after taking Accutane at age 21 -- I am 42 years old now, so it's been 21 years that I've been dealing with this. I also had a ton of hair to start. Unfortunately to this day I have chronic TE -- I do get periods of relative relief from it, when it's not as bad (some periods as long as a year). The good news is that I still have plenty of hair and while my hair is thinner than I would personally like and I hate the shedding everywhere, my hair looks normal to others. So don't despair -- you will not be in a wig! I am interested in how the Rogaine goes for you -- I have never tried it. Keep us posted and feel free to message me any time. Good luck!