Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Starting to lose faith in Histogen...more delays :(

Discussion in 'New Research, Studies, and Discoveries' started by Nilli57211, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Nilli57211

Nilli57211 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I read somewhere that now, they've scheduled the phase I/II trials for men to begin in May 2011. 6 months ago, they said these trials were going to begin in February. And a few months before that, they were supposed to happen in Fall 2010. That's nearly a year of delays now. And not to mention, these are just the trials for MEN. They did say they were hoping to start the female trials and do them concurrently with the male trials, but they would definitely need to get these male phase I/II trials underway and get good results before they're even able to start anything having to do with female trials.

Why should we have to wait longer than men do? None of us are getting any younger. I've accepted the fact that I'll probably not have my hair back anytime in my 20s (except for the moderate difference Rogaine has made, which, don't get me wrong, I am grateful for). But with Histogen, I thought at least I had a decent shot at being able to enjoy most of my 30s with the thick hair that used to be my pride and joy. But they keep pushing it back and pushing it back and pushing it back. I'm wondering if we can even count on them starting these trials in May, or if they're just going to delay it again.

They had predicted a market release date of 2013 in Asia for men, and now they're saying "late 2013/early 2014." I'm fine with this, because honestly it's not that much of a delay on its own, but what if they keep doing this again and again?

Their research is very promising, and their product/technique is as well. But how is that going to help anyone if they keep delaying things indefinitely? And I want to see at least some kinds of concrete plans for FEMALE TRIALS too. It's not all about balding men.

*sigh*

2. As324

As324 Guest

nilli have you found the reasons for your hair loss yet?

3. Kamille

Kamille Member

Dislikes Received:
    I understand your frustration. We all would like to know for sure when a treatment will be available. Unfortunately I think nobody knows. We have to keep on with our lifes in the meanwhile, thinking it will finally happen in a few years. In 2014, maybe later. Maybe that doesn't change a lot finally.
    Medias and laboratories don't communicate a lot about women suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia. It makes me upset too but I still think we'll benefit from Histogen or Aderans, or any treatment of this kind.
    There is a recent interview of Dr Craig Ziering (Histogen) on The Bald Truth website. It doesn't give a precise timeline but it sounds pretty optimistic. Of couse, as usual, nobody mentions women.

4. As324

As324 Guest

by reasons I mean have you had blood tests and panels done?

5. Kamille

Kamille Member

Dislikes Received:
  6. ninanajna

ninanajna Guest

Kamille , i saw you asked a question, but i assumed it's no hurt that i ask some, too :whistle:
    as i want them to be aware this is a women problem also.
    this is the answer
    http://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/showthread ... 66&page=17

(so far the're saying it's going well and promising)

7. Kamille

Kamille Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ninanajna, yes, I finally asked the question myself directly. Thank you for putting the link to the answer you got. I'm happy to know some trials will be done on women, even if I would like a more precise answer about possible dates of such trials.
    Here is the link to my question and the answer by Dr Craig L. Ziering:
    http://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/showthread ... 66&page=11

8. kaebea

kaebea Guest

Hi nilli, ive worked in pre-clinical research labs for years and it is COMPLETLEY NORMAL for studies to be delayed!!!!!!
    it's all based on preliminary findings, writing up proposals, deciding on parameters, getting funding, writing protocols, getting the right people to sign an approve the right documents before proceeding, finding test subjects. all drug testing goes like this.
    nothing moves as fast as initially projected, there are too many factors to contend with.

9. Nilli57211

Dislikes Received:
    Hi As324, sorry it took so long to reply. I have Androgenetic Alopecia. I've had a biopsy done, and all my bloodwork, etc. came back completely normal. It really sucks, because growing up, I had super-thick, amazing hair that EVERYONE commented on. Now, on top, 80% of the follicles have miniaturized, and I sadly have to admit I have thin hair now. Rogaine has helped quite a bit, but it's definitely not what it was pre-hairloss. But then, I've only been using it for 7 months, so I may see more improvement yet...but still, what I really want is a treatment that can give me my thick head of hair back without having to do some ritual every single day.

Hi kaebea, I also work in research (though not clinical research, we don't do anything with human subjects), so I understand that delays are nothing out of the ordinary. But at this point, Histogen has delayed the start of their trials by almost a year, three different delays. I understand it, and I know particularly in their case, they've had the lawsuit to contend with which must have been hard on the funding end, but it's still frustrating. And it makes me wonder if we really should be so hopeful for this coming out in the next few years.

I think I would feel much better if I knew that *something* was in the works for women. But their focus is on men. People don't even realize that this problem affects us too. Every article I read about a cure for baldness talks mostly about how this problem affects men all over the world, and how this cure will improve the lives of many MEN. Never mind that for a lot of men, balding isn't even a big deal. Some of them wouldn't even bother to get the treatment because they're fine with being bald. How many women with hair loss have this mindset??? Honestly even if this treatment ends up costing hundreds of thousands of dollars (which I don't think it will, but just trying to make a point) I WILL FIND A WAY TO GET IT!!

Whenever this stuff comes out for men, since they're backburnering women the way they are, we'll possibly have to wait years longer than men will to get this procedure. And that's just not fair. The 2013 date that they keep throwing out is for men, not for us. Who knows when it will be for us. And if they keep pushing back the date for men, it'll push back our date as well.

And...what I'm wondering is...if they KNOW things are not going to move as fast as initially projected, why can't they account for this typical situation in science when MAKING the estimate in the first place? Don't get everyone's hopes up and say 2013 when you know very well it's probably not going to happen before 2015 because of other issues...

10. Nilli57211

Dislikes Received:
    The Asian phase I/II trial is now scheduled to begin in early June 2011, which is both good and bad. It's bad in that the trials were originally scheduled for June 2010, and that's a full year of delays. But it's good in the sense that previously, the trial was scheduled to start in late May, and they've only pushed it back to early June. Now they're only pushing the trials back by WEEKS instead of MONTHS, which tells me that they're getting closer to actually starting. I would be worried if they were pushing them back to August or September, but as of now that's not the case...

I just (and I know I've already said this, but I can't say it enough lol) really wish they were including women in these trials. I don't understand why they couldn't just do what Trichoscience is doing and have both male and female participants. I know they say they are planning a trial for women as well, but why are we secondary to the men? If this ends up being the cure we've all been waiting for, we'd most likely have to wait longer than the men to get it just because they didn't make us a priority during the trials. Women with hair loss suffer just as much or more than balding men; it shouldn't be all about men.

That is the main reason Trichoscience has become my new favorite. :)

11. kaebea

kaebea Guest

i vistited the trichoscience site. they didn't have as much information as histogen.
    do you have any more info on their procedure/ research?

12. Nilli57211

Dislikes Received:
    Hi kaebea - a representative from Trichoscience posted that they have started clinical trials and should be through the phase I/II trials by late 2013. Here is the page:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/ ... ia&rank=10

I don't know a lot of details (they're probably keeping those under wraps to protect their patents), but if what I read is right, they have started trials. What they're offering could both create new follicles and rejuvenate miniaturized ones - much like Histogen, except Histogen hasn't started trials yet and is focusing on men.