Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Stimulating scalp?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by kookla, Oct 5, 2005.

1. kookla

kookla Guest

Are you supposed to keep brushing your hair if you are in the telegen phase? Just wondered if it is ok to brush and actually good to stimulate the scalp or better to limit brushing if you are shedding?

2. krapiva

krapiva Guest

Kookla, personally i don't think it makes much of a difference...if a lot of your hair is in telogen, you'll see a lot of hair on your brush, which could be detremental for you psychological well-being...however these are the hair that will come out anyways within 2-3 months...

i brush my hair twice a day...in the morning and at night...and i also do scalp massages before going to sleep.

3. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

I would agree with Krapiva. The main thing is to use a very good quality brush - ideally one with a rubber cushion and pure bristles. OOPs, there I go again. You'll think I'm on commission with Mason Pearson...swear to God I'm not!!

4. Niki

Niki Guest

Recently, someone told me to lay with my head down lower than the rest of my body for 5-10 minutes to increase flow to the scalp...makes some sense for those of us (like me) that have poor circulation anyway.

5. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

I bend over and brush my hair from root to tip for about three mins every night before bed.

6. GoinKrazy

GoinKrazy Guest

Niki,

I recently read somewhere that said that being upside down won't do anything for hair growth. Sorry for the bad news, I wish that it would help....I'd be upside down 24-7.

7. redclaire

redclaire Guest

BUT, being upside down is good for you (general). Good for digestion ( I'm a yoga fan) which HAS to be good for your hair. The better your digestion, the more likely you are to absorb more of the nutrients you need.
    Poses where you are upside down or back bends ( done safely via yoga poses, of course) are also good for your well being. They release the chemicals that make you happy.

8. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Someone has posted here about scalp exercises which are posted at a website. If you use "exercise" as a search term, they should show up.

9. krapiva

krapiva Guest

i usually google for "tom hairloss reversable"...i spend a ton of time on there..

10. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone ever tried these exercises? It looks like he sells a CD for $20-25.

11. krapiva

krapiva Guest

i heard he doesn't have much more on DVD than on his webpage...i've tried, but i don't exactly understand what i am supposed to be doing...English isn't my first language, so when it gets too technical i usually misinterpret things...or may be it's my ADD and i can't concentrate enough to read the complete explanations...the idea is that it works kinda like rogaine by stimulationg the capillaries and blood flow...he is also advocating a good nutritious diet...because if you're stimulating blood circulation, you might as well give this blood flow some good nutrients...the way he came up with it, is that he's noticed that bald men have hair on the back and close to their ears...and these are exactly the muscles that get excercised while chewing food...Some guys on there boasted good results...Tom claims to have stopped/reversed his own loss...but he said it himself that he's never heard any testimony from a woman...this week i saw a post from a woman whoe grew her bangs back with the excercises...if nothing else, its free...and i think Tom is for real, i used to email back and forth with him for a while...

12. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I'll check it out. Although I think there are other reasons why men lose their hair in a different fashion than women (male pattern baldness vs female pattern baldness). Such a puzzle! By the way, you do very well in English, much better than I would do in a foreign language.

13. krapiva

krapiva Guest

Thanx, Lily...i've lived in US for the past 15 yrs, which is exactly 1/2 of my life at this point, i went to high school here, to university...so i am more american than russian at this point...But there're still words that i don't know...and sometimes the meaning that i derive isn't necessarily what's the author is trying to tell me ;) i get lost with all the muscle descriptions, and what exactly i am supposed to contract...i end up trying to wiggle my ears, which is pretty hopeless..

I think, and i could be totally wrong on this, is that high testosteron causes MPB thinning, and low estrogen causes more of FPB ro diffused thinning...Hence mose girls with PCOS and/or high testosteron have MPB type, and most peri/post manapausal women have FPB...but that's just something i've noticed...

14. kookla

kookla Guest

Oh heck krapiva, you mean perimenopausal means I'm probably now looking at FPB? My obgyn won't even admit to a connection between hormones and hair. What type of MD looks at that. I googled for an endocrinologist in my state that specialized in menopause. Came up with a big fat zero. In fact, I can barely find an endo in my area. SIgh.....Wonder why a larger number of women in peri aren't shedding and balding...Hmmmm.. this is so bizarre, I can't even find a doctor to treat me.

15. krapiva

krapiva Guest

wait, wait...remember it doesn't matter...between MPB and FPB pattern differes but it's all Androgenetic Alopecia...and we've seen cases here when girls had first thinning on the top *classical FPB*, then their temples and hairline would recede *classical MPB*...i've just noticed that MPB often goes with testosterone/adrogen dominance...and FPB with the lack of estrogen...

Now, the doctor who is responsible for your hormons is called endocrynologyst...it's not GYN, they're responsible for out paps, fertility...it doesn't matter which stage of your life you're in...so i'd schedule an appointment with some endo...for example, this is my endo's homepage: http://www.richardcherlin.yourmd.com/

Actually a LOT of women start shedding in their peri-post menopause, we just don't know that...remember, female hair loss is the best kept secret...my mom aparently was losing hair since she was 28...i've NEVER known...how about that...but also, what 'hereditary' really means is that we're susceptible to hair loss because of our genetic makeup...whether it actually occurs or not is the matter of circumstances, hormonal balance, lifestyle...sorta like if you have family history of diabetis you have to watch your sugar...except most of us don't realise we have a family history of hairloss till it actually hits...

16. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    One dermatologist I saw said that (if I remember correctly) she had higher testosterone and was experiencing male pattern baldness. I think that makes sense--it seems that most women have female pattern baldness and of course all women go thru menopause at some point in time. I do feel sorry for men who are thinning, but at least they have the cosmetic option of shaving their heads and still being in fashion. I don't think that's hit the runway yet for women!!

17. krapiva

krapiva Guest

well according to 'Bald and Beautiful' page it has :)...my only concern with shaving my head is that the parts that still have folicles will look black..and the parts where folicles died will look white...so it will be very obvious why i shaved it...