Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Stopping regaine and starting spironolactone

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by hair of the dog, Jun 19, 2017.

1. hair of the dog

Dislikes Received:
    Hi I have used 5% regaine for nearly two years now. It has not been as good as I had hoped, not much difference between before the major shred and afterwards. Not enough for me to keep up with it anyhow.

So now I want to try Spironolactone.

Can I get it from dermatologist / GP in the UK?

Should I wait till I get regaine out of my system and shred ? Or use Spironolactone straight away seeing as I would be getting hair loss from both stopping regaine and starting Spironolactone? That's if I can get hold of some soon.

I believe it takes 6 months to notice any improvements?

Thanks in advance

2. pebblesrocks81

pebblesrocks81 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same exact situation and question. Following

:eek:
    I have the same exact situation and question. Following

3. NancyDC

NancyDC New Member

Dislikes Received:
    You can take both

I'm currently using a compounded formula with minoxidil (the active ingredient in Regaine) and Spironolactone. (I've also added Dutasteride, but I took the two you are discussing for about 10 months first)

My Spironolactone was prescribed by my GP after a dermatology PA recommended it to me. (I'm in the states, but I think it will be similar.) There's no reason that you'd only have to use one and if you read as many hair loss articles online as I do, you'll see that combination therapy is frequently recommended. You'll need to have some blood work with Spironolactone because it can cause an increase in potassium, but I haven't had any trouble.

I personally haven't noticed regrowth, but while I notice my hair shedding when I wash it, I haven't notice that it's thinner looking on my scalp either. So, my hope is that I'm maintaining my current hair and I'll be grateful for that!

4. hair of the dog

Dislikes Received:
    Hi
    I realise that both can be used together but I am stopping regaine anyhow. It hasn't been as good as I'd hoped so just want to try something else.
    Just need to know what the best protocol would be? Probaby lose loads of hair because stopping regaine and start Spironolactone at same time so want to know if anyone has done it like this ? How bad was it ?

5. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:

You are taking a chance stopping it since 2 Doctors told me it can help you maintain or slow your loss of hair without giving you regrowth. you may shed.

6. Mina

Mina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Did u stop rogaine? Did u have a shed then?