Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Stopping treatment for pregnancy

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by shis, May 2, 2017.

1. shis

shis New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair loss started 3.5 years ago. I've been using Rogaine and birth control pill Diane35 since, and the results are amazing.
    Most of the hair I lost grew back and I'm so thankful for that.

I'm now thinking about starting a family, which means stopping both Rogaine and the pill.
    I'm totally horrified to lose all the hair again!

I know I can keep using Rogaine until conceiving, and during pregnancy there's only minor shedding.
    Does it mean that if I continue the treatment right after birth I'll prevent the huge shedding?

Anyone care to share their experience stopping the treatment during pregnancy?
    Thanks!

2. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in a very similar boat. I honestly don't know if restarting Rogaine right after birth will help avoid TE or not, but if you're planning on breastfeeding apparently it's a no-go anyway since it transfers to breast milk. It's a really tough position to be in and I totally understand your concern.

3. Silvi

Silvi Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have to say I am too in a similar boat , my daughter is 4 years old and won t stop asking for a sister or brother. I am 35, and during my first pregnancy I couldn't stop wondering what will happen to my hair and I had postpartum hair loss and that was my third hair loss episode ..now for no apparent reason I am going through a 4th hair loss so having another child and making things worst for my hair? I don't mind my now saggy boobs, that my body is different that I can easily deal with but hairloss???god!

4. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I was reluctant to even get pregnant but my husband wanted more kids so bad that I finally figured I should just get on with it (hair wise- gawd how bad does that sound?) to start hopefully recovering sooner than later.

5. shis

shis New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Silvi, did you ever recover from the postpartum hair loss?
    I'm aware that I won't be able to breast feed, but if it means preventing the hair loss I'll go for it.

Are there any alternative treatments that are safe during pregnancy?

6. Silvi

Silvi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Shis if you search on my posts you will find my whole story. I did recover from the post par tum hair loss, one day without me noticing there was more hair on my head, and it looked pretty the end of 2014, the best in 2015, and something started happening by mid 2016, it started falling out. I have to say, every time I had a TE in the past, my hair recovered it took around 2 years each time, although it never recovered 100% it looked perfectly normal and the back had lots of hair so that helped even more, now this time, this TE I have loss all over I am not sure whats going on!!! The other times I knew what was going on an in matter of some months the TE stopped but not this time so I now think this might be turning into something else...