Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Strange experience with castor oil

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Barbarina, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies !

How can it be ??????? yes, I had seasonal shedding which stopped in Dec. since then I was losing may be max 10-20 hairs a day what is normal. Last night I applied castor oil on my scalp and hair and suddenly in one day I lost may be 200 hairs. ???? Oil supposed to be good for your scalp etc. Any ideas ?

2. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe those were hairs that had been shed but were caught up in your other hair? Maybe the castor oil helped them to slide out?

3. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dont think so. I always give my hair a good brushing prior washing them - dont want the bathtub to be clogged. Oh welll we see if that continues.

4. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, evidently this is the mechanism behind Wen shampoo that causes hair loss, the fact that it's a mixture of oils. I kinda can't see how an oil wouldn't cause shedding, especially castor, being so thick and difficult to wash out. This is why I'm only interested in using orally. It's supposed to be better at stimulating growth taken orally anyway. Maybe you will want to try that way, OP?

5. Leelees

Leelees Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I just started using a castor oil/coconut oil/rosemary oil treatment. I did it last week and was pleasantly surprised at how few hairs were shed. I just did it again this morning and had a lot more shedding :(

Can you ladies please share how your experiences have been lately? Thank you!

6. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I researched this alot last year when I bought some. Turns out alot of people shed from this. :( I wouldnt use it again! Sure you wont. Sucks because what is good for one isnt always good for the other.

7. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I put a drop of Rosemary essential oil in my shampoo each time I wash my hair. It hasn't affected my shedding at all. when I am going through a shed I shed and when I am not, I don't shed if I use the oil. I use rogaine and it helps prevent the SD from Rogaine. Also, it is a great volumizer of the hair and I have dark hair, so it gives it an un believable shine.

I tried rubbing a mixture of oils in my scalp a couple of years ago and I also experienced the shedding you all talk about, but I think that was due to the rub, and not the oil. everytime, you rub something on your scalp that you are not used to, you will shed some more hair, but if you keep doing it, eventually, you will stop shedding as much.