Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Struggling With Hair Loss Since Puberty

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Struggling, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Struggling

Struggling New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,
    I'm an Indian origin woman who had really thick hair until the age of 15. It runs in the family...my mother also constantly loses hair. It has become a joke in the family to find my mother's stray hair in unexpected places at home. I also inherited her oily skin and mild acne that has continued to middle age.
    I just have been shedding hair all the time..some times of the month are worse than the others, right about a year after I got my first period and until now...I'm 41. Four children, loss of sleep, stress and a busy lifestyle has reduced my hair to a ghost of itself. I also suffered from hypermesis for each time I was pregnant which lasted the whole 9 months! But the good thing about being pregnant for me was that the hairfall would mysteriously disappear and so did the dandruff. Every pregnancy did that magic for me and this lasted for 2 months after my delivery after which the dandruff would return and the hair would start falling all over again.
    I've been reading some stories here which makes me realize I'm very lucky. My hair grows back all the time and I dont look bald in any way. But I wish I could get it to stop falling and finally have the thick strong hair I had as a child.
    The dandruff is easily controlled by going shampoo free-even organic ones-I use reetha powder to wash my hair and stay dandruff free.

2. sunshine21

sunshine21 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Snap! I have had the same experience with hair loss and thinning since puberty. My dad would often say “when your mum looked after your hair it was long and thick”. As a child I washed my hair once a week, used a mix of jasmine and coconut oil and it was incredibly thick! I would have two plaits, one being the size of an average persons plait. I thought I was the only one as no one in my family had this problem.
    Now I’m 39, mother of two and my pony tail is the size of a 1p coin. My saving grace is that it’s curly so I can hide it well. Topically using minoxidil 5% once a day. Whilst it worked for 7 months, in the last three months I have lost any gains. I don’t understand why. So I’ve started taking 1000mg omega 3, zinc & a silica supplement, I also have a teaspoon of msn powder daily, with a squeeze of lemon. I’m hoping it will make a difference.

Struggling likes this.
  3. Struggling

Struggling New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, so there are other women like me! Im currently struggling with perimenopasual symptoms as well..acne on the chin and jaw line that starts usually around my period along with mild irritability and insomnia. Taking 1 teaspoon each of coconut oil, flaxseed oil and wheatgerm oil along with 1000mg evening primrose oil helped with the acne and the fatigue. I never had PMS before when I was younger, could sleep normally. Now I hoping my current supplement regime will help with the insomnia. It doesnt seem to have made a big difference to my thinning hair, though. Whats msn powder and where can I get it

4. sunshine21

sunshine21 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry MSM powder!!