Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Success Story (i Think?)- Minor, Laser Comb, Metformin -pics

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by asa, Feb 22, 2019.

1. asa

asa New Member

Dislikes Received:
    ive been diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia, TE, and PCOS.

I am 33 years old and my hair has been thinning since I got diagnosed with Pcos at the age of 19.
    ive had several bouts where there was no shedding and just a maintenance of the condition.
    however it really amped up after I turned 30, and I started shedding triple the amount as my twenties.

I finally found a doctor who told me that despite my BMI and healthy habits, I have "thin Pcos" and insulin resistance bc my dad has t2 diabetes. that is causing the hormonal imbalance, low progesterone (lack of ovulation), and bouts of shedding. he put me on metformin which traditional doctors never thought to do. ive been on met 1500mg for 2 months and my shedding has totally improved to normal levels (10ish hair shed every 2 days). other indices of hormonal health also improved - acne, PMS/mood changes/breast tenderness, hirsutism.

im also on rogaine foam, however I had been on this since age 25. for the most part it grew hair but the hair was downy growth. also, as my FPHL condition progressed, the hair grown added little cosmetic value.

SO in September 2018 I added the laser comb.

the reason I feel as though its a success is bc in the pic it seems the laser comb has converted a lot of the downy thin short growth into more robust hair. as you can see, some of the thinner hair is still there (indicated by the red arrows) and im hoping it will cycle through and get thicker. I used to have a part line of entirely those types of hair.

my feeling about this device is that it WILL work if you have an active viable follicle and you're not necessarily trying to regrow hair. you're only trying to thicken existing hair. for gals with Androgenetic Alopecia, this is ideal, because the sickly/short strands is truly what contributes to the diffusely thinning look. my part line def looks tighter.

let me know what you guys think - does it just look like a progression of the FPHL or success?

Attached Files:

#1 asa, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    TinaM1968 likes this.
  2. Jayne01

Jayne01 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have a similar story to you but started with a laser comb when I was 20 years old. I stopped laser comb and contraceptive pill between when I was 23 which led me to lose almost 50% of my hair and now clear balding. I have now restarted contraceptive pill, inositol (helps with insulin resistance), oral Minoxidil and Spironlactone and am just hoping for the best!

I too noticed that my regrowth is not viable but restarting a laser cap has def helped and you're totally rigt about it strengthening exsisting hair.

Wish you the best

TinaM1968 likes this.
  3. Jammer

Jammer Member

Dislikes Received:
    Very interesting! I'm a thin PCOSer too and no one really knows how I should handle because I'm healthy and good BMI. One doctor did suggest metaformin/inositol even without insulin resistance. Did those help regulate your periods and balance hormones? I think I want to try inositol soon. I also may try the laser comb in the future, as I have a lot of very fine hair, so just need it to grow thicker/stronger.