Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Sudden Extreme Hairloss

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by LisaRenee, Aug 17, 2011.

1. LisaRenee

LisaRenee Guest

I am 44, active and healthy. I noticed an egg shaped bald patch on the back of my head after seeing more than normal hair loss after conditioning. That was June 8, 2011. Today I am at about 90% hair loss and am wearing a wig! My co-workers and some aquaintances think I've had a makeover and compliment my new "hairstyle". I hate it! My hair was past my waist two months ago! I cut it to my shoulders a month ago because the amount of hair that fell out daily caused lots of tangling not to mention the tears and stress that came with it! I thought that leaving enough to hold a fake ponytail in place would be a good idea. But.. I have absolutely no new growth and my eyebrows seem to be thinning now as well! The only change I've noticed is that my scalp is very oily by the end of the day. Never had oily hair! I had bloodwork which came back "normal". No known alopecia in family. I've spent countless hours online researching and feel like I'm reading the same thing over and over! What I haven't run into is.. someone who has lost their entire head of hair in just two months!! My doctor says this is "very common" with women "my age" (LOL) and wants me to see a dermatologist. Since I am uninsured and have to save up again after one visit and multiple labs cost me $1100! What in the world?? Has anyone experienced rapid hairloss and gotten reasonable answers?

2. RatsNest

RatsNest Guest

Hello LisaRenee
    I think your doctor need his head examined!!! 90% hairloss in a 44 year old woman is not THAT common. Hair does start to thin as we age, but your loss sounds pretty dramatic. The founder of BeauBeau hair scarves had a similar experience of rapid hair loss and so have a few of the women n this forum. I had to pay the same outrageous amount for all my blood test(all "normal")too. Hopefully your dermatologist will have more answers and a plan of action.

3. Marsen

Marsen Guest

I´m glad your blood work came out normal, that´s the most important part ;)

At 44, I´m gonna guess it´s hormonal, due to menopause. Can you apply for charity at a clinic so you can see a derm and gyn?

Another possible cause is stress. Did you have a stressful episode 3 months prior to when hair loss started? Are you seeing hundreds of hairs in the bathtub? It´s called TE and it´s sudden and severe. Good news is it´s totally reversible, you just have to wait it out.

Good luck, glad you´re healthy though.

4. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I lost about half my hair at age 42 in 6 months. Not directly comparable to you, but still .. it started VERY sudden. Handfuls of hair every morning. Yeah they - MANY doctors - told me the stress BS and the age BS, too. I didn't and still don't, believe that. I personally do not think it is necessarily so that 'it is TE and it will grow back' if you lose hair suddenly. I'm still waiting, three years later. For me, after stable loss (if very little if any regrowth) of two years, I am suddenly having the MOST massive shed ever... handfuls of hair every time I practically touch my head! and I'm probably now down to about 70% of the hair I started with.

i think there are seldom good answers to hair loss in women. I'm sure it happens, but.. not often. For the financial burden it would cost you in your situation.... I have to say, I'd sooner save money for a rockin' wig. I've personally given up on doctors for answers about my hair.

Not to be a downer.. but I'm being what I think is realistic!
    :heart:

welcome here.

5. Losin it

Losin it Guest

Is it possible that you have alopecia areata? Dramatic hair loss like that can be seen with Alopecia Areata - frequently there is also loss of eyebrows and eyelashes...

Another possibility is hypothyroidism - it can cause extreme hairloss and many also lose the outer 1/3 of their eyebrows. If I were you I'd try to get in to see a dermatologist and/or endocrinologist as fast as you can in case this hair loss is reversible. Are you having any hypothyroid symptoms? Fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance? One way to tell is to take your body temp as soon as you wake up - if it's low its a sign of low thyroid....

Hope you get it sorted out! At least you don't have a family history of Androgenetic Alopecia so maybe yours is treatable and/or reversible!

Hugs!

6. LisaRenee

LisaRenee Guest

Thank you everyone :) I have to admit... my "Stevie Monofilament" Wig by Rene of Paris is pretty real looking. The best and closest I could get to my own hair without the embarrassing questions and comments. So far, only my immediate family and one close friend even know :) I did see my OB.. He was first on my list because I read so much regarding hormonal changes at my age. I have regular cycles and all of his tests also came back normal. He says that I am healthy and suggested that my stress level could be the culprit. I only had one patch and thinning at the hairline at that point. He recommended that I visit a dermotologist if it worsened. My primary however... says it's very common! I don't know anyone with any level of alopecia and if I do, they too are keeping it under wraps as I am. I'm feeling fine and have had no weight changes or any other health issues. In the meantime, I will continue to read through forums, wear my wig and scarfs and see a dermotologist as soon as I can. Thanks for the support :)