Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Suggestions needed, Please

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by dragonfly, Apr 10, 2011.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,
    My daughter has a 33 year old friend who has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. The treatments have ravaged her hair. She is going to Hawaii on the 23, as she has always wanted to go there so her ex-husband is taking her. She is not expected to live much longer. Anyway, I have a synthetic wig I am going to give her along with all of the shampoo etc. to go with it. I will also include headbands in case it gets windy there. Anything I'm forgetting? Thanks, ladies, I really want to make it as good as it can be for her.

2. FLgirl

FLgirl Guest

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that, how very sad. :( I don't know a thing about wigs, but wanted to say that is very sweet of you...

3. littlenewo

littlenewo Guest

Sorry to hear that dragonfly. How sweet of her ex-husband!

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's honestly one of the saddest and at the same time heartwarming stories I've ever been involved in. She has two little girls, one is 23 months, and the other is 9. When she got real sick she moved back in with her ex, and he's been taking care of her and the girls; one is his and the other is not, but it doesn't seem to matter to him. My daughter and other friends do all they can with assisting with child care when needed, and spending as much time with her as possible. Giving her this wig seems like such a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but I know how bad it is to feel horrible about your appearance, and I just want every minute she is in Hawaii to be the best it can be for her. Thank you for your kind replies.

5. starbabies

starbabies Guest

It sounds like she has everything she needs in this dark time- she is surrounded by people who truly love and care for. At the end of the day that is all we could ever hope to have. My thoughts go out to her 2 young children.

Susanna

6. Janie-Ann

Janie-Ann Guest

just a thought -- maybe also a nice head scarf or turban. Some people's heads are really sensitive and/or there might be times she might not want to wear the wig...

7. RugBug

RugBug Guest

wow...well, there you go...that shot of reality we all need.
    My heart goes out to her, her children and that lovely ex-husband! Where, in Hawaii, do you know? pm me if you'd prefer....I'd like to see that have a nice dinner while they are there....

8. aries

aries Guest

I will also include headbands in case it gets windy there. It actually was windy when I went in September. It also depends on what island you are on, weather can be different on each. I love the head scarf or fun hat idea. It was a long plane ride for us (east coast) and a nice scarf might be nice for the airport and plane ride. I'm so sorry that this poor women has to go through this. My prayers to her and the children!

9. RatsNest

RatsNest Guest

I think the headscarf for the plane trip is a good idea too. The site 4women.com has these things called beaubeaus which are pretied scarves with a scrunchie for different looks and they come in 3 or4 sizes. They look really cute and require no tying skills! I hope she has a peaceful and happy trip full of love.

10. GoddessJoyce

GoddessJoyce Guest

Donna,
    So sorry to hear this news. As someone said "the most important is that she is surrounded by all that love her."
    Joyce

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone for your warm and thoughtful responses, and the good suggestions. I will definitely check into a scarf for her to put in her vacation package. I will be visiting my daughter in the next couple of weeks, and will take everything with me then.