Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Supplements - Question for Joann

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by ginawat, Apr 18, 2008.

1. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Joann,

In a different post you stated:

With Alopecia Areata you have to be careful with supplements. The immune system is alreday in overdrive and you sure don't want to boost it even more. I'm not familiar if they are helpful with other types of hairloss so I can't give an opinion if that forum would be beneficial or not.

Can yu tell me which supplements folks with Alopecia Areata should steer clear of. I have not be formally diagnosed (go for a biopsy on 5/12) - but I'm thinking I either have a very strange form of Androgenetic Alopecia or possibly difuse Alopecia Areata. I takes lots of supplements and never made the connection. I just want to error on the side of caution until I get a formal diagnosis.

Thanks!
    Gina

2. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Can I comment? I know about this! I have researched a lot tro try and prevent an Alopecia Areata outbreak but I know I cant control that.

Anyways, anything that BOOSTS the immune system is bad. Avoid immune boosters of any kind.

Echinachea
    Astragalus
    Vitamin C in high doses
    Zinc (a little is fine)

There are others. WHat we want is immune REGULATING herbs. So when you are researching look for herbs that dont stimulate or boost the immune system. But ones that regulate.

3. Nesi

Nesi Guest

bh so antioxidants are bad then????????? If i take supplements could they make the Alopecia Areata worse??

it's very confusing! :shock:

4. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

hmm......

what kind of anti oxidants?? Vit E is fine, C in moderation, ZInc in moderation......you just dont ever want to take herbs that boost immune system. Vitamins are safer.....

5. suzi79

suzi79 Guest

Heather

I will have to disagree with you on the Zinc, there have been several studied about Alopecia Areata that Zinc actually helps with Alopecia Areata it promotes healing and in turn promotes hair growth.
    I have seen numerous posts on Keratin.com, MSN.com, NAAF.com that Zinc helps with Alopecia Areata in fact all antioxidants help with Alopecia Areata.

6. suzi79

suzi79 Guest

Gina,

I am in the same boat as you, although I did presend with spots back in May of 07 all of them have now filled in except I have diffuse loss but not in Androgenetic Alopecia form.

For the past months my hair loss has increased, but no idea why! I lose all kinds of short hair, thin, thick, tappered, and the exclamation point kind but to this day my hair is visable to me and the people closes to me.

I am strongly thinking of going to another derm and convince him that I need a biopsy.

7. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I was treated with ultra high doesages of zinc for a TE and an Alopecia Areata spot, by the same derm that treated my Alopecia Areata as a teen.

Ultra High does of zinc lower immune system function=good for Alopecia Areata

Moderate Zinc helps the immune system=bad for Alopecia Areata

Mild Zinc=good for Alopecia Areata

That is what I have read.

8. Nesi

Nesi Guest

So basically i shouldn't boost my immune system? Dont quite follow...
    Can you pleaseeee explain!

9. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I have researched the hell out of Alopecia Areata and other Autoimmune diseases. WHat I have read, is that the immune system attacks the hair follicle basically. If the immune system is weakened, it is less likely to continue the attack. That is why they treat Alopecia Areata with immunosuppressants.

If you have active Alopecia Areata, you do not want to heighten your immune system. That is the theory I have read. Certain herbs/vitamins enhance the immune system therefore it would make sense to avoid them. But there are also herbs said to help balance the immune system and make it work more efficiently. You really need to do your own research so that you can come to your own conclusions. Like Suzi said, she disagrees with me which is totally fine.

:mrgreen:

10. Nesi

Nesi Guest

Thanks...makes sense.
    When you were taking zinc for TE did it help?
    How long did you take it for and what dose? Did you test your zinc level?

11. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I went to the derm for a small patch of Alopecia Areata, they shot it up with cortizone. Also I was DX with Androgenetic Alopecia for the first time at the same visit!!!! :(

Well, I wasnt satisfied so I looked up my old derm from when I was 14 (awesome Dr!) and he was like, 80 now! LOL anyways he looked at the spot and said it did not look like classic Alopecia Areata because the patch was not completely round and he did a pull test and the hairs around the patch did not come out.. He said I had TE...?? So he Rx'd Zinc Sulfate (You cannot buy it OTC) and I took the whole bottle, months worth. My hair DID recover but I had also started using rogaine about the same time for the Androgenetic Alopecia. I do not know if the Zinc helped. And it made me really naseous....I actually took it on an empty stomach once and puked 5 minutes later! ANd I NEVER puke!

The Dr is now retired :( And everyone else sucks!!! he was so PROGRESSIVE with his treatments! I mean, high dose of Zinc?? WHat Dr does that?? Also when I had Alopecia Areata at 14 he gave me these topiclas that were totally top of the research stuff at the time (1991). Now they use the same stuff all the time for Alopecia Areata....

Did that help??

12. Nesi

Nesi Guest

Yes :) :) thanks.

13. suzi79

suzi79 Guest

zinc doesnt sit well with me stomach too.

I get and upset stomach 30 min after taking Zinc, but it does go away after an hour or so.

Heather, So reg Zinc is different than Zinc sulfate? Thanks I will ask my next derm..

14. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Yes the Zinc Sulfate you cannot buy. I have Looked!! The only place I found it was online through a chemistry site!! LOL!!

http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Zinc-S ... 3C670.aspx

Its only by RX only. Tell your Dr that you heard that high doses (can be dangerous if not controlled or supervised) of Zinc Sulfate for a time can lower immune function and thus help autoimmunity. :)
    If he says he has never heard of it, ask him if he is willing to TRY....??

15. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

16. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Gina,

I don't have or know of an actual list of supplements that should be avoided. I have learned from being on the NAAF boards that one has to be careful about trying homeopathic products in hopes of halting their Alopecia Areata as the immune system is already overactive and taking a combination of things can have the effect of really putting into overdrive.

BH seems to be more knowledgeable on what to avoid than I am.

Sorry I can't help more.

Hugs, Joann

17. peekaboo

peekaboo Guest

Well this totally makes sense now. I went to see a hollistic doctor and he put me on so many vitamins, it made my hair loss soooo much worse. Before that I was taking a hair vitamin and I had flakes, tons of them (it could of been psoriasis) with lots of hair loss. Biotin made me shed more. My problem must be auto-immune related :$ How can I get my immune system to go down?????

18. suzi79

suzi79 Guest

I am supposed to see a Chinese herbalist in May. Now I am a little scared to go and see him because right now my shedding is probably between 100-150 hairs a day and I don't wanted to get any worse.

When you tell people that your hair is falling they assume that aren't healthy meaning that you don't eat healthy or are missing essential vitamins, but us with Alopecia Areata we have immune problems so our hair loss should be looked in a different way.

I must say this that when my hair started falling diffusely I started taking MSM 2000 mg a day I swear to you guys my head was no longer itchy, and my hair loss slowed down quite a bit. After 5 months on MSM I stopped because I didn't think that I need it anymore, but after 2 months not taking MSM my scalp started itching like crazy and more shedding. I started MSM again no more itching within 3 days.

As far as Biotin, I read a study that was conducted by two doctors that are on the board of NAAF and they say that BIOTIN does not grow hair...it might help with nail dystrophy, but it will not grow hair.

19. peekaboo

peekaboo Guest

I just got off the phone with the hollistic doctor, and he said everything is fine except that my magnesium is in the gutter. He wants me to take 4 pills a day. Do you think the magnesium has something to do with my hair loss? Or will the magnesium make my hair fall out more? should I stay away from this?

20. suzi79

suzi79 Guest

Yes magnezium does play a role in hair loss, I myself take magnesium 2 times a day with my calcium for better absortion.

I started taking magnesium 1 hours before I go to bed, and it really relaxes me.