Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Support System

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairlosshelp, Jul 18, 2015.

1. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Even though my parents refuse to believe my hair loss is genetic and they don't have the same experience given that neither of them have lost their hair nor do they have a clue about what causes it and what available treatments are there, etc they have been so supportive through this all. I was initially a bit surprised by such a high amount of support because my parents had never raised me to place such a high emphasis on looks, my mom has never bothered with things like makeup nor extensive skin care systems and my dad despises people who make a big deal about things like acne, wrinkles, aging, etc. I've always felt it's because they're genetically lucky and had never really had any particular points of concern in regards to their appearance and look attractive so I didn't think they would understand as my femininity was being taken away from me through this whole thing. I don't look and feel like myself anymore and they've really understood the devastation this has had on me.

My parents and my siblings have been extremely supportive going out of their way to help me with little things. I'm just so grateful because at this point in my life I don't have anyone else. None of my friends have reached out to me for a few months now and I haven't made an effort with them because all are making such great progress in life and while I don't envy them for that (except for their hair!!), it's been hard to talk to them when I have nothing positive to share about my life since January. I've really lost myself and my family is the only tie to the person I used to be 7 months ago. I really hope to return to the person I was last September which was easily the best month I've had in a long, long time and they're the main reason why I even still have that hope that it is even a possibility.

2. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome that your family/parents are supportive. I've got kids, 22 and 19, and I'd absolutely support them if they were experiencing hair loss, acne, etc. I had fairly bad acne as a teenager and I always swore that if any of my kids had acne, I'd get them to a dermatologist right away. Fortunately for them, both of my kids have beautiful skin. I'm a bit surprised about your dad's attitude toward those who gripe about acne because acne can be a scarring skin condition that is not only unsightly but also painful. Hopefully, he'd understand that people don't want to live with scars or pain!! Anyway, how wonderful and reassuring for you to know that your parents "have your back" on this hair loss issue. I wish you the best of luck and success with your hair.