Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Switching Birth Control

Discussion in 'Medications that can cause Hair Loss' started by Satine, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Satine

Satine Guest

Hi everyone …I was having a lot of shedding and hairloss before my Endo put me on Spironolactone and Biotin to get my testosterone and other issues worked out …after about 3 months of this my shedding came to a stop and my hair was looking a lot better …fast forward to now…about 2 months ago my Gyno put me on a new birth control pill ( Seasonique ) because I was having horrible cramps and headaches with the one I was on…now I have the shedding back at an alarming rate…I was wondering if any of you experienced this when switching birth control and if it straightened out after a while.

Thanks,
    Carri

2. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Seasonique has androgenic progersterone in it I THINK. It could be causeing the shed...

The only hair friendly pills there are are

Yasmin
    Diane 35
    Demulen
    and a few others.....

I would switch the pill!!

3. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

Hi Satine,

Seasonique has levenorgestrel as the progesteron hormone. This is a synthetique hormone derived from testosteron and it acts slighty androgen. If you have Androgenetic Alopecia, it is not the right BCP for you. Then you take a BCP like Bunnyheather says (anti-androgen BCP).
    I also had a BCP with levenorgestrel: after 1,5 years of that I noticed thinning and I have Androgenetic Alopecia. I switched to diane 35 and it lowered a bit my shed.
    For pain stomach and headache I can imagine that seasonique is not 'special' to that or so to lower that. But I am not sure of that.

This is seasonique from the FDA site:
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/seasonique.html

So, yes, if your shedding is because of hormones: switch.

4. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

other BCPS can help period pain. I have NONE now that I am on Diane 35

5. Satine

Satine Guest

Thanks for your help - I have never even heard of Diane 35 before I came her, my gyno has never mentioned it ...I have an appt with her in June, so I will give it until then to see if the shed decreases, otherwise I will have her switch me to the Diane or Yaz ...

6. alicat

alicat Guest

Diane 35 is acne therapy, not a BCP. It's also not available in the USA.

7. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

Its so strange that it is not available in the US, isnt it?

8. alicat

alicat Guest

I guess so? I guess they probably have drugs that we don't?!

9. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

Oh, yes that is for sure;-). But it so strange as it is a very common med in Europe..you would expect diane is also available in the us.

10. alicat

alicat Guest

I think I heard that Canada and Europe have the same sort of meds available.

11. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Satine, what birth control were you using before Seasonique? I would chose Yasmin if I were you, or Yaz if the one you were taking before is a lower dose of estrogen than Yasmin (Yaz is slightly lighter than Yasmin). I think Diane 35 is illegal or not availbale in the States, but there are ways to get it (ask Bunny). But it is the strongest, so I wouldn't recommend go onto it unless you really need it. I take Yasmin and I never have any cramps at all or headaches, and I always did before.