Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

TE Maybe?

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Nochangeforyou, May 4, 2017.

1. Nochangeforyou

Nochangeforyou New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I went to my primary care doctor last November complaining of hair loss. She didn't seem to think it was a big issue, but ran a single test for my TSH, which came back normal. I was referred to a dermatologist, and had a full hormone and full thyroid panel, everything came back normal. When I visited the dermatologist he looked through the blood work and examined my scalp. He told me he could say with some confidence it was TE, because my hair loss is all over my head, and not just on the crown. He said the best thing to do was to wait 6 months, and if it hasn't improved we can do a scalp biopsy to verify.

Looking back at pictures though, I think my hair has been thinning out for a while now. I have always had thin hair, but looking at a picture of myself from 2012 vs. 2015 you can see my hair thinned out quite a bit. I had been taking a very high androgen index birth control since 2013 (Ogestrel/Ovral), so I switched to Desogen just to be on the safe side.

Below are some pictures of the current situation. I couldn't get a picture of the back of my head, but the doctor was right, it look that thin around all my head. It looks worst at the "widows peak" area of my head though. Any thoughts or advice on what to try would be appreciated.

hair_min_opt.jpg

hair2_min (1)_opt.jpg

hair3_min (1)_opt.jpg

2. Chasrogers01

Chasrogers01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I'm sorry you are experiencing this. I think you should get the scalp biopsy. If it comes back positive for female pattern hairloss, go ahead and start rogaine. It's better to start it while you still have quite a bit of hair instead of waiting.

Also, get your ferritin checked. Optimal reading is 70. This is rarely the sole cause of hair loss but could help the Rogaine be more effective.

Good luck and keep us updated!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, I'm sorry you are experiencing this. I think you should get the scalp biopsy. If it comes back positive for female pattern hairloss, go ahead and start rogaine. It's better to start it while you still have quite a bit of hair instead of waiting.

Also, get your ferritin checked. Optimal reading is 70. This is rarely the sole cause of hair loss but could help the Rogaine be more effective.

Good luck and keep us updated!