Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

telogen effluvium and androgenetic alopecia

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by vesperbell, Jun 4, 2013.

1. vesperbell

vesperbell Guest

Hi all. I'd like to introduce myself after lurking for a long time (I once registered but forgot my info). :$

I started to lose hair on the sides of my head a few years ago. After some negative experiences with dismissive physicians I finally got one at a walk-in clinic to refer me to a dermatologist. The dermatologist was awful to me and in hindsight I should've just picked up my purse and left but she told me I had androgenetic alopecia without any blood tests or a scalp biopsy. She put me on sprionolactone and yasmin but after almost 2 years I could no longer deal with the side effects or the fact that I had a new bald spot growing right in the front of my head so I went off the medications.

I went to go see another dermatologist for an unrelated issue and she had me tested for a whole bunch of things that no one else ever bothered with. Because of her, my new physician has put me on levothyroxine for hypothyroidism and b12 injections for a deficiency. I have no idea how long my issues were going on but THANK GOD for her.

My physician also sent me to a new dermatologist for my hair loss. She did a scalp biopsy and the result came back as a mixture of telogen effluvium and androgenetic alopecia. I was told allowing the underlying cause of telogen effluvium to go untreated can lead to an early start to androgenetic alopecia so that's probably what happened there. She has put me on 5% foam rogaine.

TL;DR: Good and thorough doctors make all the difference in the world!

2. nikks2

nikks2 Guest

Glad you found someone to help you. I havent read much good stuff about derms on this site, and I had a bad experience, it seems a general lack of interest from them, and yet they are who we are referred to for help ?? I'm glad you had a different experience the second time :) Good luck.

3. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm...I thought TE and Androgenetic Alopecia were two different things. Hope your treatment has success.

4. vesperbell

vesperbell Guest

The way she explained it to me, I started out with TE and because the underlying condition wasn't treated for years it triggered my Androgenetic Alopecia. She sort of implied that I would've developed Androgenetic Alopecia anyway but it would've happened later in life rather than in my 20s if I hadn't gotten the TE as well.

Yeah the doctor situation was terrible at first. I became very concerned about thinning in my mid 20s but I had to wait to develop several bald spots and have abnormal blood tests before I found doctors who took me seriously.