Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Telogen Effluvium Shedding Stopped. Now What?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by grace90, Nov 27, 2018.

1. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know there is an existing thread that's similar but I wanted to start a new one.

My TE shedding has all but stopped. I started shedding in early May (maybe late April) and continued through the end of October, so about exactly 6 months. My shedding started fluctuating and tapering off mid-September (so a month and a half of a fluctuating shed). My shedding has been normal for a month now. You can read my story here: https://www.heralopecia.com/interact/threads/hair-keeps-falling-im-losing-my-mind.30545/

What can I expect as I navigate the recovery process? My hair is still thin, there are still sparse areas (although I do see little sprouts of new hair), ponytail still small, and virtually no padding on the sides. I would love to hear from women who have been through the recovery process and what their timelines were like, how they managed the stress/anxiety of waiting for your hair to grow back, any tips or product recommendations, etc.

TinaM1968 likes this.
  2. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had two TEs in a year - the first due to crash dieting/iron and vitamin D deficiencies and the second due to crash dieting.The second TE was way worse than the first. I will definitely post updates (I don't feel good enough to post in the Success Stories section yet), as there are so few stories of women who have come out the other side, and I want to help anyone who is going through this.

3. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think I have TE that unmasked Androgenetic Alopecia (although I’ve gotten different answers from different doctors, so not 100% sure on that), but I can tell you about my temporary recovery.

My shedding started at 22. At 26, it slowed down and tapered off over a few months. By this point I had extremely thin hair that I would only wear pulled back or with extensions. When I noticed the shedding was finished, it was October of 2015 (though I think it slowed down much before that based on when I look back at photos). By February 2016 I felt comfortable wearing my natural hair down with no extensions in, and by July 2016 my hair was completely back to baseline. So it was about 9 months from when I noticed normal shedding until my hair was completely recovered.

Unfortunately for me, my shedding started again February 2017 and has not stopped. The silver lining is that it was so thick by the time the shedding started again, it didn’t start looking thin again until summer 2018, so my temporary recovery bought me 2 full years of gorgeous hair :)

Hope the timeline helps!

TinaM1968 and sunlit like this.
  4. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that your shedding has returned :( but thank you for the timeline help! Hoping mine follows a similar pattern, and fingers crossed that your shedding lets up.

5. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Update: It's been a month since I last posted about my hair situation, so here's what's happening now...

The front/top/bangs area of my hair (where I experienced the most noticeable loss) is filling in nicely. I still have sparse areas, but it's a lot better than it was at its worst. I've attached two photos - one from three weeks ago with harsh bathroom light, and the other from a week ago with my normal bedroom lighting (with bonus errant grey hair). I still have a ways to go, of course, but I'm happy with the progress in this area. You can see that my hairline is starting to tighten back up.

Unfortunately, still no progress re: thin ponytail and lack of density on the sides (especially on my left side). Sometimes when my hair is a little greasy and I tuck my left side hairs behind my ears, you can see scalp :\ This is my biggest concern now. I know it takes time for new hairs to make its way down, but I have to figure that some new hairs should be sprouting from the bottom half of my head too!

Shedding has mostly been normal except on Christmas Eve, when for some reason, I had the biggest shedding day since my TE peak in Aug/Sept. However, I recalled another thread here where someone in recovery randomly had one day of high shedding and then went back to normal, so I didn't really panic about it, although it did upset me.

I'm on month 5 of viviscal - still not sure it's really helping anything with the hair (although it makes my nails extremely hard). I'm going to finish this month and then do one more to make it an even 6 months of viviscal.

As always, I hope everyone is doing well. Please feel free to ask any questions or share your experiences, talking to people on here always makes me feel better, and I hope to do the same for you all.

Attached Files:

6. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Feeling kind of crappy today. My hair shedding has been normal since my last post about three weeks ago. My hair is looking thinner than ever. No change in density in months. In fact, I think it looks worse. I'm extremely worried and anxious that density will never recover. At this point, I think it's safe for me to say that Viviscal has not been helpful.

I would really love to hear from anyone about how long it took for their density to recover after a TE. I'm about three months into recovery now.

7. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I had an answer for you, my hair slowed in dec after 4.5 years then a few rounds of antibiotics due to a abcess and stress over that brought on more shed. I wish I knew so tired of this crap

8. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    back with an update - progress is so slow, but i do think there is some...

my scalp looks like it's sloooooooowly starting to fill in. here are two pictures, one from Feb 9th and one from April 2nd. The sparse area on top looks better to me.

I haven't really noticed any density improvement. I feel like my shed has picked up ever so slightly in the last week or two but that could just be due from brushing my hair or a regular/seasonal shed. It's still nowhere near what it was at TE levels.

Attached Files:

• apr.jpg
      apr.jpg
      File size:
      84.5 KB
      Views:
    • feb.jpg
      feb.jpg
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
    TinaM1968 likes this.
  9. anxiety43

anxiety43 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely see improvement! Congrats! It doesn’t look like the front is bad at all? Do you take supplements?

10. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    thanks! the front is definitely improving but its not far along enough for me to stop using toppik to fill it in. i'm hopeful that in a few months, i can stop using toppik!

i take vitamin D, iron, fish oil, and ashwaganda supplements.

11. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if anyone reads this thread, but I need to vent. I've had a really bad couple of weeks, mentally. I'm about six months out from when my high shedding stopped (about a year out now from when this nightmare started), and I'm not sure that I really see any regrowth or change in my scalp. I think I was deluding myself with lighting and different ways of parting my hair, and thinking that was progress made. My hair when wet looks the same. My scalp is shinier in the front that it previously was. Does regrowth normally take this long to appear??

I don't know what to do. I feel like I've wasted my time. All I want to do is cry.

Attached Files:

12. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t know the answer all I know is I’m in the same boat. All I tried to ever do was stop the fall. I don’t ever see any regrowth maybe it’s there and I just don’t see it I’ve deluded myself many times thinking it’s better but after 5 years I doubt it. life for me changed so much during this time. I just hate it. I still come here because I can vent. Everyone in my life thinks I’m crazy (that’s only because I can still hide most of it) it’s hard walking this path alone.

13. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    you're not crazy! its hard for people to understand how hard this is unless they are going through it. if you ever need to vent, feel free to PM me

TinaM1968 likes this.
  14. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you ♥️ Please do the same if you need too. Just so tired of it all talked to my dr again today since dht and prolactin came back normal. All of a sudden now she’s back on a thyroid kick. Idk she’s tired of hearing me as well