Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Telogen Effluvium Success Story, It Lasted 9 Months!

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Lostinhairloss, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Lostinhairloss

Lostinhairloss New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to report that my telogen effluvium is (for now) over. It has lasted 9 months, the excessive hairloss stopped around 4 weeks ago. My hair is slowly getting back to its original thickness. The scalp shine is gone, which is a good indicator that my hair is filling in. The hairloss didn't stop from one day to another, it was a slow, probably 2-3 month long process. It has started to fall less and less around May. Now it isn't falling at all, probably around 5 hairs a day, which was my normal prior to hair loss. My telogen effluvium was caused by an extensive 5 month long infection caused by Epstein barr virus. I've been sick from August till December, hairloss started in November.
    What worked for me: unfortunately not much. I've tried a variety of anti hairloss treatments, very expensive natural ones, vichy dercos neogenic and many others. Spent a fortune on those, and i can't say that any of it helped. In my case, it was all about boosting my immune system, so i think taking my vitamins was crutial, but i don't think by any means that vitamins are a cure for telogen effluvium. The only thing that really helps this condition is time. And, the most important thing in the meantime is taking your mind off of your hair loss! I had very very long hair, so my hairloss, even if it was just a couple of strands, was very noticeable for me. So, for the first time in 10 years, i decided to get my hair cut into a long pixie. It was a very good decision. It suits me, my hair feels thicker, and also, it helped me with the emotional pain of losing my hair. I just realised that hair is not important. I'm pretty with a pixie, long hair isn't everything.
    Feel free to ask any questions, i'm here for all of you. Don't give up hope, but also, try everything you can in order to get your mind off of this mess. Stressing over it just doesn't help. Big hug to everyone!

winwin, Libby Smith and skat79 like this.
  2. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Is your regrowth thick thr strands? Did ur hair strands go finer? My shedding seems to have slowed weigh down.my hairs are finer regrowth too. Hardly any rgrowth

3. Libby Smith

Libby Smith New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My

4. Libby Smith

Libby Smith New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My telogen effluvium started about the same time that I had knee replacement surgery which was five months ago. It appears that it is all going to fall out even though my research indicates that it doesn’t usually all fall out. My knee surgeon said he never had a patient mention hair loss after knee replacement but the dermatologist said the surgery was the cause. I’m prepared and bought two wigs and wig supplies but it is difficult to think about wearing a wig on a windy day. I guess I’ll figure it out.

5. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Libby,

I had hair loss from surgery too. I shed for 4+ years and it never all fell out, just got thinner. My hair is still shedding (at a lesser rate) but I've also had some regrowth, so my hair follicles are still working. I expect it'll be the same for you. The only thing that slowed down my hair shedding and started the regrowth was to stop worrying and lower my stress levels. The more you worry and spend time thinking about it, the more stress hormones your body releases, and cortisol causes testosterone to rise, causing more hair loss. So if you don't worry (which I understand is difficult) then you'll be giving your hair the best chance to recover.

As far as a wig on a windy day goes, I don't wear a wig myself yet, but you can buy wig grips (which I believe are a bit like velvet headbands) to wear under a wig which make sure it stays on, or you can use skin-safe tape or skin-safe glue. I've also heard of people using hair products like Got2B Glue. There are lots of blogs with more info, such as Corner of Hope and Mane who is also on Youtube. Also look at Fabricating Fringe on Instagram.

TinaM1968 likes this.
  6. Libby Smith

Libby Smith New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for all of your great tips. I have enough left right now that I haven’t needed the wigs and the loss has slowed but not stopped. Did you ever try Rogaine?

7. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have never tried rogaine but I bought some yesterday and am thinking about trying it! I'm scared to try it because of the risk of side effects, but I've seen people have had good results.