Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Telogen Effluvium v. Androgenic Alopecia

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by pollymaggoo, Jul 5, 2015.

1. pollymaggoo

pollymaggoo New Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first time experiencing either TE or Androgenic Alopecia. I've had a full head of thick hair forever and I was under a lot of stress with moving and anxiety. I noticed my hair shedding 2 months ago and 3 weeks ago pretty severe change in the crown/scalp area. I went to a dermatologist and the test results say 15% TE and the rest non-scarring cicatricial alopecia. Considering there is no hair loss in my family and my hair is shedding like crazy, not in clumps but every time I touch my head and during shower, styling, etc. I'm not sure what to believe.

I'm 33 years old. Has anyone else had experience with TE? I can't imagine my hair being fine 2 months ago and now I'm losing my hair because of androgenic alopecia. But anything is possible.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

2. Sakura

Sakura Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    hi and welcome :) i've been shedding from stress since november but i don't know if it's just TE or if it's Androgenetic Alopecia too.
    did you get a biopsy? if the diagnosis was just TE you will be fine!!

3. raven-haired

raven-haired Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi pollymaggoo,

I'm 37 and fairly sure I went through a bout of TE last year following an ectopic pregnancy. Unfortunately, I think it's now CTE and definitely unmasking Androgenetic Alopecia. I can't be sure, but I do have two appointments with different dermatologists coming up.

How did your dermatologist diagnose you? Did he/she do a biopsy or anything more than a quick examination of the scalp? If you are doubting the diagnosis definitely seek a second opinion.

4. pollymaggoo

pollymaggoo New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sakura, thanks for the welcome.
    I did get a biopsy to which they said it was 85% non-scarring alopecia and 15% TE. The doctor thought it was from just getting older and thinning, which is very hard for me to believe considering my hair 2 months ago, my family history and the amount of shedding. I read somewhere non scarring alopecia could be CAUSED by TE? Doesn't make sense, but trying to stay positive.

5. Sakura

Sakura Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    non scarring alopecia just means your follicles aren't gone or scarred like in lichen planopilaris or frontal fibrosing alopecia. your biopsy showed TE and not Androgenetic Alopecia, so don't worry about that. i think you have all the chances to grow back your hair!

6. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a pretty good diagnosis to me and I agree with Sakura that you have a great chance of recovery.

I lost a good portion of my hair following illness, hospitalisation, strong medication and all the associated stress. In the last 8 months I have recovered a good amount of that and it continues to improve.

You didn't say whether your doctor has suggested any treatments. I would explore every option and be proactive, I credit my success to hitting it hard and fast with everything and anything my doctor offered!

7. pollymaggoo

pollymaggoo New Member

Dislikes Received:
    He did a biopsy of 17 follicles and said 85% Androgenetic Alopecia but non scarring and 15% TE. Will most likely get a second opinion if things don't change soon. :/

8. mandym

mandym New Member

Dislikes Received:
    didn't know there was tests they could do...

My dermo always just looked at my scalp and pulled a few hairs. Didn't know she could biopsy my scalp. After 2.5 years of losing hair to the point of shiny scalp showing through I am sick of no tests, not even bloodwork.

9. Tinker

Tinker New Member

Dislikes Received:
    mandym, my last derm told me she would biopsy me if I was African-American but she was sure that it was Androgenetic Alopecia. The endo did run a few tests but thyroid, and other tests were ok. Ferritin was 58 and she said that was ok but I've read here that it should be over 70. Hair loss has lessened to only 30-40 hairs / day so maybe it's done shedding. Sure hope so.

10. mommybetts

mommybetts Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    hey

HELLO,

Sounds like we may be in similar boats. Earlier this year I had a bad case of what we thought was TE until four months into I begged for a scalp biopsy. Low and behold........Androgenetic Alopecia!!! They did not give me percentages like yours, but did say"early changes in Androgenetic Alopecia". What are you doing for treatment? If you go to the introductions you can see my pics of where I am at, 11 months later. Did I just say that? omg it sounds crazy I have been on this crazy journey for that long already. Did you have your ferritin levels checked? I know a lot of people say that iron may not be the main area of concnern, but let me tel you, since my iron levels have gone up, I have seen a nice change. I am also using DE and gelatin, Spironolactone, and oxycyclen. Basically tackling it head on!!

11. cleopatra81

cleopatra81 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,
    I went to a famous clinic ( don't want to mention it ) and one of the dermatologist which I really didn't like told me that there is nothing to do for Chronic Talogen Effluvium.The the one agreed with her as well as that a biopsy didn't say if it is Androgenetic Alopecia or Talogen Effluvium Chronic but can provide some information of the cycle of the hair as well as tissues of the skin. One of them told me that I may have some information from a genetist. Anyway the one that I like most told me that I have Talogen and Androgenetic Alopecia that' sounds me possible as I had Chronic Talogen Effluvium for many years without miniaturization of my hair. It has started on april of this year. I also have some relatives with it from both my family sides. So that I decided not to make any biopsy of my scalp because according to both of them there was no cure for Chronic Talogen Effluvium. Maybe I could do it in the future but I don't think so. I went to that clinic as I have different serious health issues and I was fed up of all that tests.Anyway one told me to use rogaine 5% while the other that it helps for women after menopause in another kind of alopecia. Anyway I decided to try it as I don't any other suggestions and see how it goes.It was told me to wait to see the benefits .I also was told that I will not have more hairs but that minoxidil was going to reduce this progress of Androgenetic Alopecia. I don't know but what else could I do? Help me please.

12. DisTressing

DisTressing Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It is true, you can have both CTE and Androgenetic Alopecia at the same time. CTE can uncover an underlying case of Androgenetic Alopecia. Is that the diagnosis they made? Minoxidil may be right for you, although it does cause some additional shedding for many people at the beginning. That is the only type of medication that is proven to regrow hair. If it isn't Androgenetic Alopecia, and only CTE, then any underlying medical issues that might be causing your hair loss need to be addressed. So this is probably one of the places you should look first. Did you ask your doctor which if any of the health conditions you have, or the medications you take for them, may cause or contribute to your hair loss?

13. cleopatra81

cleopatra81 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Distressing I made a general check up and it was told me that I had chronic pelvic pain and Fybromalgia.I don't have any tiroids problem, neither liver etc.
    It was told me that I have Androgenetic Alopecia and CTE and it was suggested to me to take minoxidil 5% during the night as I wash my hair in the morning.They also gave to me Ketonazole shampoo to alternate with a normal one due to my seborrhea.I developed this pain two years ago but I have had this CTE for more than 15 years.Could have been Androgenetic Alopecia?I didn't have such thin hairs,I only used to loose hairs.I am sorry for my English,it is not my mother tongue. I forgot to ask to the dr if the medications or my health conditions could contribute to my loss.Furthermore I actually don't have a dr and have to find one.I was diagnosed in a famous clinic into the USA but I live in Europe.I took Lyrica for 2 years and now I have been taking Gabapentin for a week and I read it could bring alopecia.It is a mess because I have to take medications for my pain otherwise I would get crazy for it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have had this thin air in all my scalp since April 2015 .Could have been Androgenetic Alopecia started 17 years ago or not? Before my scalp seemed normal but I was losing 200 hairs per day.Now they are thin, difficult to brush,I also have been losing short hairs that are trying to grow that didn't happen to me before theese thin hairs appeared.

14. DisTressing

DisTressing Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    have you had an internal exam such as an ultrasound to rule out any problems with your ovaries or uterus? POCS - polycystic ovarian syndrome, can also cause hair loss. Fibromyalgia is usually diagnosed if there are no other explanations for a wide variety of symptoms like chronic fatigue, joint pain, etc. CTE is not supposed to last longer than six or seven years. It does sound like it may be Androgenetic Alopecia, and that would cause you to see thinner and thinner hairs over a longer period of time, but I'm not sure it would take 17 years to thin out. It is a much more gradual loss than CTE. Minoxidil could be right for you if you do have Androgenetic Alopecia. Some even use it for CTE, but because it often can cause hair to shed more when first using it, you may not want to try. According to the manufacturers of Rogaine, it is only recommended for use by people with hereditary hair loss.

So though it may be harmless to try minoxidil, you should try to find a dr. who you can talk to about your health issues and how they could be affecting your hair. You should also ask whether other medications you are taking are adding to the problem. You can usually contact the manufacturer of the drugs you are taking for information about their side effects. You can also look on drugs.com and check if your medications are listed there. If hair loss is a side effect of any medication you are taking, you should ask your dr. if there is a substitute that would work for you.

If this is not Androgenetic Alopecia, then any underlying medical issues must be treated and under control to ensure they are not contributed to the hair loss.