Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

testosterone? Hair loss at the temples

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by mycurlyhair, May 11, 2012.

1. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Still doing lots of research on all of this. I just found this at forhair.com. It seems like my hair is thinning quick and at the temples and my bang area. Could this be why? I also have alot of scalp itching. Which doctor would I go to and ask to be tested for testosterone? Anyone here with temple loss/thinning been tested for this and did it help?

"Other females do bald in more of a male pattern with recession of their temples and loss of hair over the vertex of their scalps. This form of hair loss has many similarities with standard male pattern baldness and can be exacerbated by androgen (testosterone) hormonal therapy."

2. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I have had this very same kind of thinning for 4 years, now... (most of it quite rapidly in the first year) and I am quite LOW in testosterone. So, for what that's worth...

any GP can have you tested for this, and actually, the online order your own bloodwork sites offer it, too.

3. hope4hair

hope4hair Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am loosing hair on one temple but not the other. Its all broken and thin, whereas the other side is full. Then I'm also loosing my hair on the top, but same side near my thinning temple. Weird- because my testosterone level was low,. :(

4. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping to go to my endo and get tested. Mine is worst on one side too!

5. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am also losing a lot on my temples and my bang-area...
    But my testosteron was very low..
    I think in some people high testerone can be a cause, but definitely not all. I believe it is the sensitivity to the testosterone that can cause hair loss... even if it is low....

6. raji

raji Guest

Exactly same here..Do you know the reason?
    My testosterone is 27
    Free T is 0.5

I am trying Vitamin D supplement..Hopefully, my hairloss atleast slows down.

7. waterbaby

waterbaby Guest

I think I may just have an answer why you all have hair loss even though you have very low testosterone.

According to this study that came out a few months ago, low testosterone may actually be the REASON for your hair loss! I posted about this already today but here's the link again.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 655.x/full

It was a large study following 284 women with testosterone implants over a year. Not one of them complained of hair loss and 63·2% of patients who had had thinning hair reported hair regrowth (on the head).

The results were very unexpected and completely contradict current ideas about what causes diffuse hair loss in women.

For some women the testosterone treatment didn't work...those who were obese, suffering from Hashimotos or with iron deficiency ... but not one patient in that study reported hair loss as a side effect even though they'd spent a whole year on four times the maximum levels of testosterone that women normally have. Facial hair was a problem, but those doses are really high so it was expected. The hair growth was not!

8. raji

raji Guest

DHT is converted from Free T or Total T..any ideas?

9. waterbaby

waterbaby Guest

Well as your free testosterone is much lower than your total testosterone, I'd guess too much of your total testosterone is being converted into DHT. Can't you ask your doctor to get a blood test to test DHT levels rather than testosterone levels?

10. HL Detective

HL Detective Guest

Hi Ladies,

I just thought I would chime in. I too have hair loss in the same pattern (male pattern). I started out with really thick hair (most people say my hair still looks really thick - but I know how thick it used to be) but now it is thinner. My loss started out in only one temple (around 14/15 yrs old) and the rest of my hair was normal. By the time I was 19 that same temple was worse and I noticed the rest of my hair was slightly thinner but I just brushed it off as my imagination. Then by about 22 I was sure my hair was thinning but no docs would really take me seriously. My T levels were "normal" (TT- 1.3, FT 0.5 - i might have been on bcp during these tests not sure anymore) but anyway I continued to thin but in a diffuse pattern. Then by 27/28 my crown started to thin more noticeably but only one temple really seemed thin and my hairline was only slightly thinning. By 32 I don't know what happened but now my hairline has drastically thinned in addition to both temples and my crown.

Anyways, let me cut to the chase already, I was always told I had normals levels of everything. Then this year I decided to pay for a DHT and SHBG test b/c I just had to know for sure. Well , tada!

My DHT is around 2900 and the range went up to 1290. So I'm about 2.5x the maximum of the upper range!!
    :crazy:

My SHBG is decent being in the middle of the reference range.

I would recommend those of you that don't have elevated androgens to do a DHT and SHBG test!! At least you'll be able to rule something out or in!

11. hope4hair

hope4hair Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Detective-

So now what do you do with the information you know? Curious because I've got one really bad temple and hair loss at the top right behind my bangs.

12. HL Detective

HL Detective Guest

Hey Hope,

Finding out my numbers hasn't really changed anything for me in that I've already known about the traditional pharmaceuticals I could try for my hair loss if it was caused by high DHT levels. It was just confirmation/validation after years of being told that everything was "normal" when I knew it couldn't possibly be the case but really wasn't sure whether it was DHT or some other hormone that might have been overlooked.

I haven't started any treatment yet because I've been reading a lot of studies concerning vitamins and their effects on hormone levels as well as the effect of gut bacteria on hair cycling and gluten intolerance on hormone levels in women. All of these new ideas (which I never would have given any credence to in my younger years - I was a 100% believer in pharmaceuticals only!) have made me question trying to first get on a drug/herb specifically to attack the excess DHT without addressing the true cause of the hormone imbalance. I used to really believe that women with high DHT just had a genetic predisposition that made hair loss an inevitability for us....but now I am not so sure about that theory. I am starting to wonder if like gluten intolerance and celiac its not just a case of a gene that makes us susceptible to a certain outcome and that we are somehow guaranteeing that outcome by unknowingly/knowingly ingesting something that is not compatible with our genetic makeup. Anyhoo, sorry if this post has bored anyone reading it. I just find this stuff fascinating. I really went into the wrong line of work. I should have been a research scientist.

So anyways, I'm planning to try the natural route and see if my shed reduces before I go back and try a pharmaceutical or herbal like Saw Palmetto or the like.

How bout you? What are you taking/or considering?

13. waterbaby

waterbaby Guest

How about using anti DHT treatments topically too so that you target the DHT actually affecting the hair follicles? eg avocado hair masks and hair rinses containing ingredients like stinging nettles. I'm wondering if my onion treatment affects the DHT in my follicles as well. Onions contain B sitosterol and they are known to lower blood cholesterol .... and both testosterone and DHT are made from cholesterol. :dunno:

14. Smartypants

Smartypants Guest

I have the same problem (thinning at temples), and also mainly on one side. It's been getting worse over the past ten years, and now looks like the other side is starting to thin as well. Anyway, I had my testosterone and DHEA measured, my testosterone level was slightly higher than normal (sorry, can't remember numbers, will try to dig those up!) and DHEA was in normal range. Although, as far as I understand, if you are sensitive to androgens you can have hair loss even when testosterone is in normal range. So it might be worth getting tested, just don't let your doctor brush you off if your results are "normal"! An anti-androgen like Spironolactone (and rogaine) could still be very helpful.

As for doctors, all the dermatologists I have seen refused to test hormone levels. So if you want that done, maybe see a gynecologist or an endocrinologist? Or a naturopath, even if you don't want to go the herbal route they would probably be willing to assess your hormone levels.

Hope that helps a bit, hang in there :) You are definitely not alone.

15. Smartypants

Smartypants Guest

Forgot to mention earlier, mycurlyhair, I've had scalp itching as well in the areas where I am suffering hair loss. I don't think this actually helps with the hair loss, but I've found that mixing about 5 drops of jojoba oil into my shampoo each time I wash my hair has pretty much gotten rid of the itching. It shouldn't make your hair greasy if you mix it really well (and I have really fine hair with oily scalp already). So at least you could get some relief :)

16. tawnie

tawnie Guest

I've heard free T

17. youngandlost

youngandlost Guest

Hi, I'm 17 (only since last friday) and for the past few years I've been very concerned about my hair. It seems to be pretty thin towards the front and recently my left temple seens to be really thin, my right is pretty much ok, maybe a little further back than it used to be but nothing major.

I'm not sure about testostrone levels as I'm from the UK and have no idea how I would test that as my doctor is complettly useless and told me there was no medicne for hair loss when there are actually loads. He also told me that a broken blood vessel on my back was down to acne; which I don't have anymore! I thought my acne medication that I took when I was younger may have caused it but I can't be sure as this problem has got worse now that I'm off it.

I have a LOT of body, on my arms especially. I had think eyebrows but after 3 years of waxing them they grow slower now (or so I think.) seen as I have a lot of body hair does this mean that hair loss in my temple is not to do with hormons?