Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

The difference in 4 months...

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by sunlit, Jan 6, 2015.

1. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your hair loss is going fast!! Androgenetic Alopecia is gradual!! At least that is what my dermatologist was saying. I also was very scared in the beginning I had Androgenetic Alopecia. Now four years later I am still shedding like crazy, but two biobsies ( years apart) confirmed : chronic telogen effluvium.

Yours sounds like TE, not Androgenetic Alopecia

I still think I might have some underlying Androgenetic Alopecia but is not the main reason.

2. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    front hairline.jpg

This has got to a point now where when I noticed this yesterday my reaction was just to go "oh, for ****'s sake."

3. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think that spot is from Androgenetic Alopecia. Do you have any concealing products yet? I use Dermatch, but I don't think it would work well in the front.

When do you expect your blood test results to come in? There MUST be an explanation for such dramatic thinning. Hang in there.

4. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I watched my grandmother and then my mother lose their hair to Androgenetic Alopecia. It was very gradual, and mostly even through the whole crown area.

I know everyone is different but I really don't think what you are experiencing right now is Androgenetic Alopecia, it does seem too fast and aggressive.

Keep pursuing answers with your doctors, there must be an explanation and hopefully a solution.

5. sunlit

Dislikes Received:
    Blood test results will probably come in about mid April. It's a longer wait than normal because I had to get them done at a different medical practice from usual... frustrating, but that's the way it goes. I'm scared the results will just be inconclusive and I won't have any more clues towards what this is about.

I probably ought to use concealing products by now - I'm sure other people have long since noticed my hair loss - but honestly, I've been putting off buying them because it seems like it'll be a lot of trouble... I know people say they're easy to use, but I'm someone who can't even put her hair in a tidy ponytail and keep it that way. I'm so bad at anything to do with hair, and also horribly, horribly lazy when it comes to these things... I wear the same jewellery every single day and basic makeup is my limit. I should probably be using concealing products, but I've just been going about daily life the way nature's made me, to be honest. I end up feeling like, "losing my hair is enough stress without having to worry about hiding it too".

fleur, rva and nerak, thank you SO much for your support. Your replies mean a lot to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I know my Androgenetic Alopecia worries probably seem really paranoid, but having seen several young women on this website get Androgenetic Alopecia after a sudden shed, it is a real worry for me.

6. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Based on your pictures I don't think you need any concealing products, sunlit (unless you'd feel more comfortable with them). It's probably way more noticeable to you or to other folks like us than to anyone else. I used to never notice thinning hair on women until I started having it myself and began studying everyone's hair.

7. ChrissyB

ChrissyB Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sunlit, I know I have said it before, but your hair really doesn't look bad to me. I just developed that thin patch in the same spot as you and it's driving me crazy. I only wish I had longer hair like yours so I could just put it up like you do. Some five or six years ago I remember having an issue such as this with my hair; I just don't remember it being this bad, but maybe it was. Anyhow, when I didn't obsess about it, it seemed like it just came back. I don't know any more. I wish I could just move on from it all, but it is driving me insane. I went to a new department store that opened up in my area today and my hair looked so horrible in the mirrors that I bought some new shampoo and mousse in the store and ran home and rewashed and styled my hair to try and fix it. It's getting really crazy.

8. NoodleHead

NoodleHead Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sunlit- pls update us with regards to your results. My hair loss kinda looks like yours right now. And I'm feeling a bit lost. I don't shed a lot so it makes me think I've got Androgenetic Alopecia. It's weird coz my parents and my twin brother don't have it at all

9. sunlit

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Noodlehead,

I got my hormone test results back a couple of weeks ago, and the results were 'all completely in the normal range'. I don't know the actual numbers, but I'm trying to get another dermatologist appointment so I can ask. Either it's only a very subtle imbalance or there isn't any problem with my hormones. The only thing that's been found to be wrong so far is my ferritin, but I've been taking iron supplements for a while now and my shedding isn't getting any better. I have no answers yet. I'm as lost as you.

How long has your hair loss been going on for?

10. NoodleHead

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sunlit,
    It's been going on since 2012 and at that time I had blood tests and everything came out “within the normal range”. I have really thick hair to begin with so my parents or even doctors don't recognize the hair loss. My hair doesn’t fall out in clumps, but I’m gradually losing density all over my scalp and probably lose 100 strands of hair a day but i could lose more if i comb my hair lol. I’m mysteriously not getting any good regrowth :/ It’s really weird! Now, my hair is really see through and thin!

--- Does Vitamin or Mineral deficiency cause you to lose hair gradually? Or is it DHT that’s attacking my hair follicles or could it be another form of hormonal imbalance or autoimmune disease? If anyone has any idea, please let me know. I don’t know where else to look to get an answer :/

11. sunlit

Dislikes Received:
    Noodlehead, I saw the derm today and he said I had Androgenetic Alopecia (male pattern). My hormones are normal, but I have an over-sensitivity, maybe caused by family history (dad has full head of hair, but 2 bald grandfathers and my mother has Androgenetic Alopecia post-menopause). He's prescribed me Spironolactone to try to lower the hormones but isn't too hopeful that it'll help. I think it's curtains for my hair, tbh! I'm just going to have to find a way to come to terms with it. I don't have the mental energy to keep fighting against it, so I need to find a way to accept it instead.

12. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sunlit, I got that same spot when I was like 19 years old and had a TE bout that lasted about 2 months but I wasn't freaked out about it since I had really really thick hair. When I turned 18 I got straight bangs and so when I first saw that spot I thought it might have been traction alopecia from straightening the bangs...but fast forward a few years later it got much worse (at 24) and then sometime around 24 it moved up to my crown in an upside down christmas tree shape which was accompanied by excess shedding and now 7 months later I've lost lot of hair volume and its STILL shedding including the re-growth. I also have lowish ferritin (39) but confirmed Androgenetic Alopecia by biopsy.

How does your mom deal with Androgenetic Alopecia? And do you know when her onset is?

My mom has always had thin, straight hair while I seemed to have gotten my dad's thick curly hair but he's now in his 50s, silver thick hair and people tell him if he dyed it he'd pass for high-30s. While people think my mom is high-30s and she's turning 58 this year, same lack of thickness she always had but same amount of hair and few grey strands. I don't know where this gene seems to come from looking at family history.

If your frontal hairline is an issue you can try to hide it with bangs. No one could really tell I had experienced hair loss at 19 because of the bangs mainly.

13. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sunlit, the first derm I saw told me Androgenetic Alopecia, after having biopsies done twice it came back as telogen effluvium and no Androgenetic Alopecia as there was no thinning hairs, but a lot in shedding fase. I personally think derms cream Androgenetic Alopecia too soon.geting on Spironolactone is agressive medicaton!!

I sometimes think that besides my CTE there must be some Androgenetic Alopecia (contrary to what my derm now believes), but medication can come with more serious side effects than hair loss

14. Kelly7

Kelly7 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I asked my Endocrinologist recently, if Spironolactone would be helpful for my hair. He didn't think so since my testosterone levels have always been normal. He mentioned that people have to be on a really high dose in order for it to really help, which put me off because I'd be worried about the side effects.

15. sunlit

Dislikes Received:
    hairlosshelp - My mother doesn't 'know' she has Androgenetic Alopecia. Her hair has got much thinner as she's got older, but she maintains that "it's always been thin" and is in denial that it's really changed. She also thinks my hair is thinner than hers, which it definitely isn't, but I don't have the heart to tell her otherwise. She has loss at the temples and hairline recession like me, but she has a lot of loss over the top and crown, which I don't have - and still has plenty of hair at the back and nape, which I don't have. Her hair didn't start thinning until she was at least 50, and she's now 61, so it's been pretty gradual and was definitely only after the menopause. Her loss is noticeable to be honest, but it isn't unusual/remarkable for a lady of her age. She's always been very beautiful (she has amazing skin and bone structure, no wrinkles at all) but doesn't care about her looks at all so she doesn't really pay any attention to her hair or care what it looks like. Since I've learned about this stuff I've made gentle offers to buy her toppik or wondered whether she might like a topper for special occasions, and she just says "no, I don't care, it doesn't bother me like it bothers you".

My dad is 67 with more hair than I've ever had in my life and his hairline is still a NW1. I find it really funny that I'm going bald before he is. Meanwhile, my great aunt of 85 has thick hair that's still black, and my aunt of 58 doesn't have a single grey hair yet. I did have two bald grandfathers though, which according to the dermatologist is what screwed me over. He didn't even think it was my mother I got it from, because apparently I have an obvious male pattern.

fleur - it's possible it is CTE rather than Androgenetic Alopecia, but to be honest I agree with the dermatologist's diagnosis - it sounds right to me. Even if it is CTE now, I'm sure it would turn into Androgenetic Alopecia further down the line because of my family history, so I guess I'm just beating it to the punch. I've read online about spironolactone side effects and they are pretty bad, but I have decided to give it a try for now - it's worth it.

Kelly - my testosterone levels are normal too, but the dermatologist said my problem is caused by an oversensitivity to a normal level of hormones, so they need to be lower than the normal level for me. He's starting me on a low dose to see how I tolerate it and will either raise it or discontinue it depending on whether it seems to be helping/harming. He wasn't hopeful that it'd help at all but I don't have many other options. It's worth a shot because I don't want to use minoxidil at all, so this seems like the only treatment option for me.

16. Kelly7

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Sunlit, I asked my Endo if my follicles could be sensitive to testosterone eventhough my levels were normal and he said he didn't think they were sensitive. He doesn't think I have Androgenetic Alopecia though, so I guess that's why he probably didn't think Spironolactone would be good for me. I thought maybe I could take a low dose, but I learned that wouldn't be the case. Like you, I also don't want to use minoxidil. I hope it works well for you. Good luck. :)

17. sunlit

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Kelly! Good luck to you too - hope your endo finds the cause and a good treatment! Has he got any ideas yet?

18. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's good that your mom doesn't seem affected by it, though! Although it's much more different to deal with that during 50s vs. 20s. My mom keeps saying that she prays for me to get all my hair back and that she will take having Androgenetic Alopecia instead so she would just get a curly wig since she hates her straight hair lol. And yeah my grandfathers reached a NW6 and NW4 in their old ages like 70s past and didn't deal with balding before and none of my female cousins from mother or father's sides seem to deal with hair loss with all of them having thick hair so I have no idea how this hit me. I've started minoxidil...it pains me to know that this is going to be something I have to use daily for the next 50+ years and so I'm just trying to view it as the equivalent of like using moisturizers, lotions and lip balm even though it's not the same. Let me know how the Spironolactone goes for you! I want to try that as well.

19. Kelly7

Dislikes Received:
    Sunlit, my Endocrinologist doesn't think my hormones are causing my hairloss. He is just treating my thyroid, which could be contributing to my hairloss. I still think my follicles might be sensitive to testosterone. My Dermatologist believes my hairloss is from hypothyroidism and ferritin not being high enough.

20. NoodleHead

Dislikes Received:
    I've read that most women here experience a lot of shedding and it may be because of TE or Androgenetic Alopecia. Mine doesn't seem to fall out much, and I'm negative on the hair pull test performed by my derm. He keeps telling me it's stress. But I don't believe it is. He keeps telling me that I don't have to worry. I've lost about half of my hair density in three years and I don't even shed excessively :O so of course, I'm worried. I'm only 21! no one in the family is balding but I don't know much about my great grandparents so much of this is still unclear to me. My endocrinologist told me I don't look like someone with a hormonal imbalance and since all my blood tests were within the normal range, she was quick to dismiss me. Oh well, I gotta find new doctors who can really help me with this.