Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

The difficulty with human hair

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by sunlit, Jan 5, 2015.

1. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure how or if I can find something that can believably match my hair.

My natural hair has always been thin, fine, flat and very straight with a silky texture. I've been looking into hair extensions, wigs, toppers and other hairpieces and... all of the affordable human hair seems to be sourced from Brazil, India, China etc. It's too thick, heavy and plentiful to pass at all as my own hair. It wouldn't look believable for me to have lots of hair. Also, the virgin hair is dark, and the amount of chemical processing needed to lighten it to my kind of colour (light brown) seems to damage the hair a lot. When I look online at virgin hair wigs, they look silky and beautiful... when I look at coloured wigs, the same often can't be said. It does seem to vary from vendor to vendor, but you can't tell which have just been smoothed by hairspray for a photograph.

Another poster on here suggested U-part wigs and I thought they were a very good option, but I'm really having doubts about whether I could blend in my real hair believably. Even leaving colour aside, I'm scared that the difference in heaviness/density would be too much, especially as a lot of the hair has a natural wave and my biohair won't hold a curl.

I'm not really sure what way to go at the moment. My bio hair has always been mousy, thin and lifeless, but at this point my ponytail is probably less than 1 inch thick. When my hair is down, it straggles gappily around my face and looks pathetic. I know they damage your hair too much to wear every day, but I was thinking about buying some clip-in extensions to wear when going out. Not for a few months yet, because I want to wait for my shedding to slow down or stop (fingers crossed). Am I right in thinking that the difference in texture/thickness of strands would be less noticeable with extensions than a topper/wig/etc? Also, how much hair do you need to have to be able to hide the extension clips?

My hair loss is totally all-over. My parting is wider but the main problem is the severe drop in density.

2. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the same position. My own hair was naturally blond, straight and fine. It was never thick so to suddenly add a ton of hair would not look natural. I also don't want to look like I've got a nasty dye job - I loved my natural blond hair!

I bought 2 toppers, one human and one synthetic. The human one is actually quite a good colour match but does need to be thinned out a bit. The synthetic one looks like Barbie hair and was probably a waste of money.

unfortunately I can't wear it until my hair grows a little more as I don't want to cut the human hair one short, it cost an absolute fortune.

I'm new to this too but I think the trick is to get it cut in to blend with your own hair by someone who knows how to work with toppers. We have a couple of places in Auckland so that's what I plan to do.

even if (when!) my hair grows back I think I will wear toppers anyway for going out. I like the idea of having more/better hair and wish I'd known about them sooner.

3. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am so lucky to have found my stylist who deals exclusively with hair replacement clients. I wear a clip-on HH topper and very little of my bio hair shows. When she did the cut in, she also thinned and shaped the piece so it looks natural. No matter what you do, it will be a big change when you start "wearing hair." One idea is to grow your bio hair longer, then cut it when you get a topper so that hopefully people will notice the style more than the hair. When I wore my first topper, I told everyone a partial truth - that I was going to a new stylist who was much more talented in cutting and coloring my hair. In retrospect, I wish I had been brave enough to say "I have an issue which hasn't been kind to my hair and sometimes you have to help out Mother Nature." People could then think what they wanted.

4. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    LH Hair in Charlotte - lhhair.com

5. mvgirl

mvgirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair thinned a lot from glued extensions too. I wore them a year, while it looked great but when all was out I saw the overall thinness. Def not recommended:-/

6. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm beginning to feel like my hair isn't going to stop falling out. or if it does, I feel like it will be too thin by that point for me to use extensions (maybe it already is?). I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better just to get a full on wig without stopping halfway at a topper, because my hair is as thin on the sides and back as it is on the top... I was looking at the prices of HH toppers and they seem to be pretty much as expensive as a wig, so I don't want to invest in one only to find I lose so much hair I need to end up wearing a wig in a few months anyway. how long do these things last before you have to replace them?

7. mkp

mkp New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sunlit,

Our stories sound very similar. My fine hair has thinned so drastically I can not wear extension either. I have wasted money on awful wigs. The money and stories are big, so I will spare you. I have been in a topper by featherlike wigs. I fought wearing a topper (what I feel is a wig) for years! I look fantastic, the owner did a perfect match to my own extremely thinning hair. The unique thing is the owner makes a front called a "thin front", and you just blend it in with the hair you have. I have to be honest, I literally forget I have this thing on. It is comfortable! It is kept mostly in place with clips, but I do have a small tape tab in the front that I could glue if I had to. Truth is it stays in place just fine with the clips. The only downfall is a wait time. You have to pay and wait for the order for months and they are costly. It was worth every single penny however.!!! I feel like I have my life back. I didn't realize how depressed and how recluse I was becoming because of my hair. I NEVER have a bad hair day now. I would like to add that my scalp is super sensitive and I have absolutely no itching or pulling. This is just my story, and I wish you the very best!

8. askalice

askalice Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    If you can find a salon/store in your general area, that can order Gemtress toppers or wigs that would be a good place to start. The human hair is not super fine but it is not so coarse either. Of course Featherlite uses great hair, but many of us are not able to go up to that price point.

9. DonnaL

DonnaL Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    mkp- can you let us know what the round about price of your featherlite topper was? Where are they located? Were you able to go in the shop for help selecting a piece? Thanks :)

10. WANTMYHAIRBACK

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in a full Flora wig. By the time I HAD to get a wig, I struggled trying to find something that wouldn't sound quite as terrifying as a WIG. I ordered extensions and never used them. I even ordered a beautiful Flora fall and never used it either. My ponytail had gotten so so tiny. There was no way I could wear it down, and it looked absolutely dreadful even up. I then lost almost every bit of my hair, and when I had to get a wig, I was so worried about the change in the amount of hair I then had. It was so much hair compared to my tiny crappy little pony tail. But you would not believe the people that I see all the time that just looked at me and wanted to know what I had done. They thought I had colored my hair and that I looked younger. Most people looked confused, but just kept telling me how good I looked. (My hair had never been down from a pony tail in years, and now it was down and beautiful.) It was so so scary, and at first I would tell people it was a wig. But it didn't take long before I just accepted the compliments bc I realized that I didn't owe anyone an explanation. Flora told me when I sat in her chair that people are so worried about their own stuff that they aren't paying attention to yours. I honestly believe that. The difference in my hair was so so obvious to me that I thought it would be impossible for others to believe. I wish I had gotten my wig earlier. I wasted years of my life being unhappy.

11. iisara21

iisara21 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    WANTMYHAIRBACK, I agree with this 100%! I couldn't possibly quantify for any of you how many times I worried about (a) what other people were thinking about how my bio hair looked, and (b) whether or not they could tell I was wearing a wig and what their opinion of it was. In the 6 years that I've owned a Flora wig, not one person has ever guessed that I was wearing hair, and when I tell them, I've been met with nothing but surprise, kindness, and compliments. Plus my wig allows me the luxury of not having to worry about whether or not people can spot my hair loss and imagining what they must be thinking. In my wig, I feel 10 times better. I feel like the old me...the one before my hair loss started, and I wish I hadn't spent so many years being unhappy and worrying about everyone else's opinion because like you said, they're usually wrapped up in their own stuff and tend not to notice yours either way. "Just do what makes you happy" is the lesson I learned from this strange odyssey. :)

12. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have really fine. thin light brown hair too. The toppers I have from Dov blend really well. The hair is not coarse at all and no one has ever guessed I am wearing hair except someone else who lost her hair.