Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Therapy suggestions

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by hairlosshelp, Jul 25, 2016.

1. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not really familiar with any therapy techniques that can help, but I don't really want to go on anti-depressants at this point. I have Androgenetic Alopecia, so coping with this is a lifelong thing and I'm in my 20s. I'm starting school in a new city soon and I don't know a single person there, I'm terrified and have no idea how I can live a normal, productive life with this. I've been using rogaine 5% foam for 4 months and had hope for the first time in over a year when I started back in March, but that hope has been slowly deteriorating to the point where I now think any significant regrowth leading to a normal looking head of hair is a pipe dream. Because of this I haven't been able to sleep for the past few nights and have been crying all day, quite similarly to when I first received this diagnosis back in Jan 2015. I feel like I was kidding myself because my hair loss is so advanced at only 26 years old. So I'm pretty much back at square 1...extremely depressed, just wishing for an end to it all because I have no idea how I can keep living like this. How have others managed to cope? I feel like I'm being tortured and will be tortured for the rest of my life because it has been 600+ days of daily reminders like "look at the hair on your pillow", "look at the hair falling on your arms/lap/the floor", "look at your scalp showing".

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so sorry when I read of young women going through this. My hair loss started in perimenopause - I'm now 68. I started wearing a clip-on topper when it became obvious that nothing was going to work for me - and I tried everything. I now bond because my bio hair is too thin to clip securely. It's s big step but maybe you'd want to consider talking to a stylist in your area who works with hair replacement clients - I'm so lucky to have found mine who works exclusively with that population. The initial consultation was free. My hope is that you are young enough that some weird science will provide an answer for you.

3. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your understanding, Lily! I've been scared about replacement hair because of my natural texture and how I usually wear it (I have curly hair that I've only worn straight for 13 years). My hair will mostly stay straight but that is very weather dependent so I'm worried about those days where the difference will be very obvious. I've been looking at potential treatments and some people are very confident about some major developments becoming commercial around 2018-2020, but I'm not so optimistic.

My hair currently is thinner than the majority of 80+ year old women and I'm just shocked at everything given the original density and thickness of my original hair, my parents lack of hair loss, etc. To have this issue and have it be so advanced at such a young age when thick hair that needs to be thinned is the most common thing in my family will never make sense to me, especially when I see other men and women my age with bald fathers that show no signs of losing their hair.

4. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Talking to others who are dealing with the same issue really helps. I did go on antidepressant for a while due to my hair loss mainly because I was afraid that the depression and anxiety of the hair loss will make it even worst. But ultimately, like you said, hair loss is a lifelong thing and you have to learn how to cope with it. I suggest making a decision that allows you to control how you look. I am not a type of person to wear wigs, but I can do hats and scarves. I always thought if things get really bad, I will shave and wear hats and scarves. I have a friend with Alopecia that does the same exact thing and has a normal life. Looking at her helped me realize there are other options. Hang in there. You are not alone. It will take a while to come to accptance. If you need to talk, message me and we can exchange numbers.

5. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    I only know 1 person who has dealt with hair loss from PCOS but it's nowhere near as advanced as mine is. We haven't really talked about it for a year since then as she doesn't like mentioning it at all. Other than that I only have my parents and siblings who understand the impact it has on me as they can see how I've been for the past 2 years, but they don't actually truly understand the lifelong struggle of it and feel pretty helpless even now. I don't want to emotionally drain them.

Something that has really helped for quite a while is looking at others who are still living a normal life despite what has happened to them. People like this model: https://www.instagram.com/paola_antonini who doesn't cover up her prosthesis and hasn't allowed it to stop her from living her life. She lost her leg in a car accident at the end of 2014 and had overcome the physical limitations of it quickly, has been so positive and is doing the unbelievable. I wish I had her strength or even a small percentage of it! She's been an inspiration.

6. Scorpi08

Scorpi08 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I totally understand how you're feeling. Sometimes it just feels hopeless and unfair, and like we'll never be beautiful again...but it's just not the truth. There's always hope that a treatment will work, or you'll find the perfect topper, or that you'll come to a place of acceptance. For me, I have good days and bad days. And just like you, seeing other women who are living with hair loss and rocking it gives me hope that I can do this. Actually, we've GOT to do this...we have no choice. I will say that I've been in therapy for a long time, long before my hair loss started and it's changed my life. It can't hurt to go and talk to someone who can give you the tools to deal with so many big changes. I think it's a great idea to use all the resources you can. Have you looked into scalp concealers yet? Like Toppix or Boost and Blend (I think that's what it's called)? It could be a great way to help thicken your bio hair and give you confidence while you do everything you can to heal.

7. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I used to wear concealers last year but after about 4-5 hours of having it on, my scalp started to pain. I tend to have very sensitive skin, so it didn't really surprise me that it would pain like that unfortunately :(
    And I really get what you mean. I did have a period of optimism for about 4 months but I'm confronted with a harsh reality every single day that has just shrouded it. I didn't need another thing to be self-conscious about, especially what used to be my best feature. That's why I really feel like I'll never be beautiful again.

8. Scorpi08

Scorpi08 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know there aren't words to make it better other than to know that you've got our support and that you're not alone. The only constant in life is change...so know that you won't feel like this forever. Maybe, for now, just let yourself be sad and grieve.

9. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    For mental health stuff, I recommend Cognitive Behavioral Therapt (CBT) highly. It helps break negative thought patterns. Look into it if that idea sounds appealing. I was paralyzed by anxiety and depression in my 20s, and CBT got me mostly unstuck and I love it now (after skepticism and work). I also agree that letting yourself be sad for a bit is a healthy move. But you don't have to stay there forever.

10. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I found that covering almost all my bio,hair with a topper works best. The shine of replacement hair, tenture, etc. always seemed obvious to me when I wore my earlier, shorter toppers.

11. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks ladies! That's what I'm worried about - staying in this place forever. When I started using Rogaine, it rapidly improved my mental health just knowing that something was being done about this that could work just based on the results of all the wonderful ladies here who have shared their progress. What has made things difficult is how different my hair looks in different lighting and even when I'm standing in the same position under the same lighting taking a picture or just looking in the mirror. I don't know what to trust and I don't want to have to monitor my scalp several times a day...for the rest of my life.

12. Justiinaa

Justiinaa Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just chiming in to say I know how you feel and it is awful. I'm also 26 and going through the same thing. I cry every day. I am crying now as I sit at my desk at work and write this to you. As dramatic as it sounds, hair loss sounds like a death sentence to me. My hair was the only thing about myself I ever really loved, and now I am literally losing that. Like you, I am hoping for new advances that will make a difference. As of right now, all I do is obsess over my hair, constantly look at other girls hairlines, and wonder how I will ever find a boyfriend or a husband and build a family while I'm going bald. It truly is a horrible feeling