Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

There is hope...

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by mrvitous26, May 1, 2017.

1. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,

I am just checking in. It has been about 6 years now since my hair loss journey first began and it is hard to believe. I have had great success with Rogaine and 50 mg of Spironolactone 2x daily. I started Rogaine 2x daily, but about 2 years ago I started to use it once daily. With schedule changes, it was beginning to be impossible for me to keep up with it twice a day. I also figured if I am going to do this for the rest of my life, I have to make it work for me...

It doesn't seem like it has made much of a difference. I have attached some photos for you to see. For those of you who don't know me, I had a lot of thinning mainly in the crown area. I had dermatitis and used a prescribed shampoo by my dermo to get rid of it. If I would have been patient, who knows, maybe in time the hair would have grown back on its own. But who knows? I also think the reason I have had so much success is because Androgenetic Alopecia runs on my mom's side of the family. Personally I think that using the Rogaine early on saved my hair. Also, please keep in mind that I did go to a dermatologist and they did a scalp patch test and confirmed that it was Androgenetic Alopecia. For those of you who do not know what is causing your hair loss, I would recommend first, before you do anything to get a patch test done. Please also know that I can only speak about Androgenetic Alopecia, as there are many different forms of hair loss, all with different treatment approaches. 20170419_150820.jpg 20170318_191844.jpg 20170316_162553.jpg 20170315_141602.jpg

This was a very painful process for me, as I know it is for many of you. I wanted to post this for those of you who are losing hope. Just hang in there.

Some things I have noticed since starting this whole process:

1.) Hair definitely is more course
    2.) LOTS of shedding, EVERYDAY!!! It never seems to stop but I guess I don't really think about it anymore because I see new hair growing in. I don't always take a shower everyday, so I notice more hair loss when I do wash, the more showers I skip the more hair I see fall out... That's why I think it is better to wash every day just a touch on the crown area... No crazy suds or anything. When you have this type of problem, I don't think the dry shampoo, or skipping washes, is really appropriate. But again just my opinion! I know everyone is probably different in terms of how oily they get!!! I use TOPPIK from Sally Beauty. I think they are discontinuing the product, so I hope to continue finding it online otherwise I do not know what I am going to do. So many products seem to irritate my scalp. This is the only one I have found that is gentle and seems to clean my scalp.
    3.) I don't use a lot of products in my hair as that seems to irritate my scalp. I use bed head, but most of the time nothing at all except water.
    4.) I don't straighten or style often at all. This is the worst possible thing to do to your hair when it is so fragile. When I get it cut I will have them do it for a treat, but honestly I think it looks better natural. I know boring... :p
    5.) For now, I do not dye it. When I start to gray this will change. I am not looking forward to this. I am sure I will stick to semi-permanent. Honestly I plan to put this off for as long as possible...

Alright well this is me, I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Off to work soon so it may be a while before I respond.

Thanks!

Michelle

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Good for you! I think being younger helps - before menopause rears its ugly head...

3. Chasrogers01

Chasrogers01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    When did you reach your maximum benefit with Rogaine?

4. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think so too... In some ways I think its good I started with the rogaine earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure what you mean? About 3-4 months into it I knew it was definitely working and it has been working great every since.

- - - Updated - - -

My mom is 62 and she doesn't want to try it... I don't know why as she is very thin so it wouldn't hurt. I guess I understand but at the same time since it has been working for me I would think it would make her want to give it a shot.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought more pictures posted... I always have trouble posting them on here for some reason.

5. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    mrvitous, you say that you still shed a ton but is it less than pre-Rogaine levels? Just curious!