Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Thinking About Wearing Hair? This Is My Psa.

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by HopefulMama, Aug 17, 2018.

1. HopefulMama

HopefulMama Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi friends. I haven’t been here in a long time and I actually have deleted a lot of my posts which is probably frowned upon but I did it because they really chronicled my whining and despair at my hair loss and wouldn’t have served anyone looking for inspiration and hope. They came from a deep place of insecurity and sadness and I don’t live there anymore and I don’t ever want o contribute to anyone feeling like losing hair is a thing they should be sad or insecure about.

All that said, what I do want to say is this: I started wearing hair full time two weeks ago. I’ve wanted to do this for years and I finally got the courage to do so and while the transition has been extremely emotional and challenging, I can tell you the only true regret I have is that I waited this long. I lost my hair at 17 and wasted two decades hoping and praying I could figure out a solution. I’ve spent thousands on every possible remedy and I’ve counted hairs during sheds and I’ve cried and wailed and avoided going out and the whole gamut. And now I have the hair I NEVER had, never would have had and even never did before hair loss, and I wish I could explain what that feels like. I got myself a nice piece and had it cut in by my stylist and I’m still learning how to work with it and it absolutely is not perfect, and I can still stand here before you and say if you are on the fence about wearing hair, if you are anything like me where you want to take the leap but are letting things hold you back, LEAP. Please. Learn from my two decades long mistake.

I am happy to help with any questions too. No matter where you are on this journey, I’ve been there. Sending love and strength. XOXO

jenh526, Emily! and Farrah711 like this.
  2. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Is it any particular brand you are wearing ?

3. HopefulMama

HopefulMama Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have a wefted human hair topper from Gardeaux right now. It’s a good starter piece for me because it’s kind of half way between a topper (which wouldn’t have been enough coverage) and a full wig (which I wasn’t ready for just because I didn’t know enough about them yet.) There are amazing things about it that I really like: Gardeaux does great coloring work and the part is AMAZING, for example. But also I struggle with blending the hairline in with my bio hair like we all do with toppers, and that’s been a big source of insecurity. I do think I’m getting better though. I have a couple more pieces on order that are longer because my plan is to move into longer hair (I’ve never had long hair in my whole life and would just love to) so I will definitely be playing some more with some other options. For me, this was about making myself take the first step. I do think that’s the hardest one.

Farrah711 likes this.
  4. bluestone66

bluestone66 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking forward to receiving my first one next week! Feeling apprehensive about so many things, mostly how my hairline will appear. My decision to move forward with one was accelerated by my stopping my Rogaine,hair vitamins and laser therapy. Fast forward 6 months and it is shocking how much hair I lost. I never thought any of regime was growing anything...well it wasn't but it was helping keep what I did have.
    Do you have any tips for new hair topper ladies? Did you choose clip in or semi perm? I ordered human hair as well and asked stylist to make mine with as little hair as possible. I wanted to ease into this and not feel like I have a mop on my head.
    So glad you are enjoying yours!!

5. HopefulMama

HopefulMama Member

Dislikes Received:
    My advice so far would be to get it cut in by your stylist so it suits you and then just do it. Seriously, it will never be as hard as that first day. And I say this two weeks in- it’s still hard. It’s like every emotion I ever had about my hair loss has come to the surface now that I’ve made his decision. But also, I finally feel ready to process those things and let them go. There are good options out there and I plan to have some fun with a whole heck of them. I hope you do too. Let me know how it goes!

Farrah711 likes this.
  6. Farrah711

Farrah711 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi
    Thank you for your insperational story.
    I dont know what a Topper is.
    I live in Canada. Is there a website u order from?
    Thank you!

7. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello guys ! I have already posted here about this Chinese site for wigs. Had very good experience with them and highly recommended for people who are may be on a budget. Hair has excellent quality, non-stop customer service online and really they jump out of their skin to please you. I ordered 1st wig and returned it because was not so happy with a color, the 2nd one was just not suiting me, but they were full lace wigs of excellent quality. They reimbursed me as promised. The only expense which was lost, were these 60 Euros which I had to pay to DHL delivery person, because it is coming fm China, customs duty. Anyway, the site address is www.lacewigsbuy.com

8. jenh526

jenh526 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've wasted 3 decades. :) But I have started looking into buying a wig, just not sure where to start. I live in a fairly rural area. There are maybe 3 wig shops in 300 miles. I would prefer to start at a wig shop because I can try them on before purchasing. The thing that is scaring me, and I know it shouldn't, but how did people that know you react? I'm mostly concerned with coworkers, since the people I work with are not very friendly. One of them has actually pointed out my hair loss to me several times, making me feel even more insecure about it.