Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Thinking Of Starting Rogain. Te/cte/Androgenetic Alopecia , I Have No Clue

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Sunnyday, Jul 27, 2017.

1. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I dont know what my trigger is. I thought it was the month of severe stress and weightloss Couldnt eat couldnt sleep. Felt awful had to take sleeping tablets to sleep for that week. Then a week after that i got flu which mostly affected my throat rathwr than chest nd couldnt eat anything for a week. Lost a stone in a week. My hair pretty much started tangling up that month when it was washed. The hair hasnt stopped shedding. I would never have noticed hair fall except when straightening my hair you could tug on it and nothing would come out. You lift it now and lots come out. If i kept touching my hair all day i am sure well up above 200 a day. I tie it up in bun out of my way. Over 60 percent lost. I see scalp everywhere. Part and temples awful. Thin regrowth not much of it at all. Nothing is growing back. The derms lifted by hair and looked at it. No machine used or anything to look at it just by eye. I have vertical ridges on my nails they may be starting to fade now i only noticed them in march. Must have read something about nails and checked mine and saw ridges. My nail beds arent as pink as other peoples they are a bit like terry nails they have improved. And the lunula appears to be very slowly coming back. My periods are irregular. Some times 2 days some times 3 days some times 4 days. Have been lighter recently were heavy and clotting. If it was weightloss it was about 15 percent of my body weight lost in a week. Why has it not corrected 19 months later. Everywhere says 6 to 9 months. Why ama i shedding high numbers? Why is there no regrowth? Why is the hair weak? Why has my bosy hair not corrected itself? I really worry every single day every hour. This has broken me.

2. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I should say i am shedding short and long hairs. My hair length doesnt really grow any more that i notice. Hair falling out snaps like a twig. Thin as a rake all of it

3. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So many things to say about this hair loss. Alot if not all of my hair most of my hair developed this kind of brassy colour to it. Thats another reason why i know it has beens badly affected and not improved. Surely that brassy colour shine would go away. Especially noticable on the part of hair that was highlighted. Hair has no weight. Would be fly away no bounce. My family say i am unlucky and just going to be bald even though all aunts have their hair and grannies. I had their hair before this started so cannot figure out. How when i have their hair how can i be going bald with Alopecia Areata. They say it is aging. Is it aging to loose 30 + hairs when you wake in the morning without brushing your hair or touching it, to loose hairs everytime you brush hair 70 +, loose hairs everytime you touch your hair? I dont know how much longer i can cope with this. Being disappointed ans having no cure or improvement is awful. I watch 2 friends who lost hair after having babies 5 months after i started loosing my hair have massive regrowth sticking straight up in the air. I dont have that type if regrowth from the couple of bits of regrowth i have they arent thick enoough to stand straight up. They are weak and thin cannot hold their own weight i even see vellus hair growth/nearly invisible regrowth

4. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Androgenetic Alopecia not Alopecia Areata

5. Sunnyday

Sunnyday Member

Dislikes Received:
    Actually i was thinking, could you have alopecia areata? if yor hair loss is that diffuse! did your derm check for that? he needs to look with dermoscope
    Androgenetic alopecia dosen't cause body hair loss, a severe TE however could
    if you post pictures maybe i could help more. Also how old are you?

6. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Why do u say Alopecia Areata. One derm said it could be that. But only after she said it was telogen.

Attached Files:

7. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:

8. Sunnyday

Sunnyday Member

Dislikes Received:
    Because you said you're losing hair all over your body and you have a heavy shed. But i don't really know!!
    Your pics look like TE to me, it's diffuse, worst at temples. I have the same thing.
    My derm said TE too.. the problem is to know if ther's Androgenetic Alopecia in there too or not ( it's possible to have both) ! i think the only way to know is by biopsy and they don't do it in my country.

9. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Are you as bad with the shedding? How long have you been shedding? The derms said telogen. Hair condition is awful. All of my hair strands are thinner than they were 19 months ago not just regrown hairs. Yes i have really slow sparse hair growth everywhere. Diffuse loss from eyebrows eyelashes leg growth has slowed right down. Diffuse loss underarms and arms growth all slow. Why has it not stopped after 19 months? All my bloods are meant to be fine hormones etc. I am waiting on full thyroid panel as dr refused to do it. Said tsh was fine. I had what the derns believe was unbelievably thick hair before this started. I had thick hair. Now i have less than half of it. And it is not stopping. My regrowth has no strength. I am half a stone heavier now than i ever was before because i want to make sure it isnt diet and i eat so much more. What are the sins of recovery is it the shine returns to your hair? Then regrowth and hair shed stops or what? Does any1 know. This is pure torture. Derms do not have a clue.

10. Sunnyday

Sunnyday Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's been 20 months. At the beginning i was losing 200-300/day then it slowed down don't know really for how long but am sure that since 3 months am shedding 100-200 /day. I wash it every day, it's always been the case.

I wish i could tell what's happening with your hair. I don't know what's happening with mine. On thing is sure, if it's juste TE, and didn't stop yet it means that you didn't remove the trigger or there are multiple ones. Then again that's pure TE. I wish that's our case
    i have lot of regrowths but i think they are not keeping up with the shedding. Also some of my regrowth are thinner and i do lose hairs of all sizes and thickeness and it's diffuse. For now i've lost 50% of my hair and i didn't start with very thick hair.

11. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    For the first 6 months or so i was easily shedding 500 or 600 a day. I dont have a lot of regrowth at all. Any regrowth i have is very thin. I have only seen 2 hairs that are my old thickness that is new growth. My old hair has thinned and is no longer that thickness. Is your regrowth strong and does it stick straight up? Did the hair that hasnt fallen out thin or is it the same thickness? Does your hair tangle? Is it fly away lost its weight? What bloods did you get done and what were the results? I believe there is something metabolically wrong with me. My growth of body hair is slow and thinner. I had alot of symptoms suggesting low iron. Dr said i was fine for months 6 months in i asked for the ferritin it was 16. I had restless legs, eyelids were white, hands and feet cold, i waa always walking around with a jacket (all the time up until March/April of this year), my nails were white (they are a bit bwtter now more pink than before), i had only lunula on my thumbs slowly coming back, i have vertical ridges beaded type and lines i think they are slowly very slowly improving, i had clotting in my periods, the last one i had, had none. Do you have nail ridges? Although our hair loss looks similar and same length of time you are having regrowth i am not. My regrowth can barely hold its own weight is fine wispy and curls up on itself. The derms believe the weightloss/stress were my triggers. My thyroid when last tested was 2.13 and t4 was 16. (I cant remember the 0. Value) dr saidc categorically/forcefully there is nothing wrong with my thyroid. I was asking for a complete thyroid panel test. It waa refused so i am currently waiting on private thyroid test results. Should know in 2 weeks.

12. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I do wonder at what point do you give up. If te isnt back within the 6 to 9 months. What percentage of people regrow hair after our length of time? I have seen no improvement in my hair condition. All bloods are ok by all accounts. Although i think about this all the time and i cry and am depressed i cannot believe that the stress is sever enough to cause this. No where near the level of stress i had for a month last year. Plus my cortisol levels are meant to be sound. So if stress is not the issue, diet is the best it has ever been for 14 months, ferritin is raised to above 70 since May of this year. What else is can it possibly be, hormones are supposed to be fine, ovulating fine, not early menopause, however, periods are irregular and light. In two weeks at least i will be able to rule in or out the thyroid issue for sure. I inherited my mother aunt and grandmothers hair the same colour and all. If they have all theirs still in 80s and 60s and 50s then i technically should still have mine. If i had different colour or type i would agree that it could be fphl, but i am sure the suddeness of how this came on and how my hair condition changed so much in a month, this is a reaction i have to something. I need to figure out why it has not stopped. What is preventing growth and slowing it all over my body. It points for me to something to do with my metabolism or hormones.

13. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone know anything about hormone results. These are mine, drs and derm says there is no problem with these. I got day 20 of a 32 cycle hormone test resuls are Lh 18.0 IU/L, Serum testosterone 1.4 nmol/L, SHBG 86, Free androgen index 1.6 ratio, Serum progesterone 39.9 nmol/L, Serum Fsh 5.0, Serum oestradiol 596 pmol/L, Tsh 2.1, Ft4 16.3

14. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I got my thyroid results, can anyone advise:
    Tsh 3.32 miul range 0.27 - 4.20
    Free thyroxine 16.6 pmol range 12.00 - 22-00
    T4 106.5 nmol/l range 59 - 154
    Ft3 4.69 pmol/l range 3.1 - 6.80
    Rt3 ratio 19.08 range 15.01 -75
    Thyroglobulin antibody 19.4 range 0-115

*** Thyroid peroxide antibodies 43.6 iuml range 0 - 34

15. Sunnyday

Sunnyday Member

Dislikes Received:
    It means you have hashimoto's disease but your are not "yet" hypothyroid. You should review with your endocrinologist. There are a big controversy wether to treat or not but in your case I think it would be beneficial? ( maybe! ). Anyway you should monitor your tsh levels as it could get higher over time
    see this link https://www.verywell.com/research-on-treating-hashimotos-3233013

16. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    F$$$ i could cry. So now i know what it is because i had to go private the dr refused for 10 months and now the likely hood is they wont treat me and i have to continue with this hairloss...and other hypo symptoms. I feel cursed

17. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can a very bad flu cause it?

18. Sunnyday

Sunnyday Member

Dislikes Received:
    No it's an autoimmune disease

19. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have just ordered a hyplori test. Should arrive tmw. 4 working days turn around. Since this started i have had a burning sensation in my upper left side around my lower ribs. Always seems worse when i havent eaten in a while. Goes away when i eat. Dr ignored that symptom. Just read that if you have that it can have an impact on your antibody level. Getting tested to see if i have it. Have to ring gp (off all week) to request referral to endo. Going to wait until i have the results from the hyplori test first, then will discuss both thyroid and hyplori test with her and referral. I had to get the full thyroid panel done privately because she refused several times. She doesnt know the outcome of it yet.

20. jump1

jump1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just discovered i have hpylori. Have had burning left side pain since this hairloss started. I am wondering if this would cause /lengthen the duration of the hair loss? I read that it can increases your thyroid peroxidase levels.