Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Thinning And Diagnosed With Androgenetic Alopecia - Should I Cut My Long Hair Shorter?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by hpk, Sep 7, 2018.

1. hpk

hpk New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shedding excessively for about three months, have lost about 60% thickness. I used to break elastics and now have to wrap one four times to get it to stay (though I only use elastics in an emergency, now).

I have mid-back length hair, I always have. But since I’ve been diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia and the thinning has occurd the long ends just look wispy and get tangled. I feel like it’s heavier and pulls leading to more shed. And I feel like when I sit down and I feel it pull on my back it pulls out.

I was thinking about a shorter cut, so I don’t feel it tugging on my back anymore but also to make it lighter and help prevent shedding further.

This is devastating to me. I have had long hair my entire life and I feel it’s the only feature I ever really liked about myself so I’m very torn on cutting it but I wonder if it would help? Has anyone else gone from long to shorter?

2. kellydyann

kellydyann New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I cut off several inches when I lost hair. I did the super short cut in the back with it angled longer in the front and it was one of my favorite hair cuts ever! It made it look Fuller and I got tons of compliments. I explained what was going on to my stylist and she was amazing. It was really fun! Research what you might like and then talk to your stylist about how you want it to look and how to style it without too much damage. Good luck!

3. sunshine21

sunshine21 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ive just recently took five inches off, due to three months of persistent shedding. I had an operation and I’m convinced the anaesthesia has caused this massive shed. I can see through to my scalp on the sides and back of crown .

For months I could see bundles of hair when I washed it. Long strands with white bulbs, it became too much. So after my cousins wedding I had it cut. It’s still falling but it doesn’t look as bad when I’m getting it out of the plug hole