Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

those with thyroid probs, have you tried this?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by as324., Jul 13, 2011.

1. as324.

as324. Guest

http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Sources-Ra ... /6016?at=0

Its a glandular I've been taking it for four days and my temperature is more stable now hopefully with the other cofactors it can actually work now, there are lots of reviewers who say that its helped them more than their synthroid

2. Vlal

Vlal Guest

Very interesting. I would consider taking it. Hmmm the fact it contains adrenal/pituitary freaks me out a bit. It's not very expensive so I think it's worth a try. Are you taking synthroid also As? Or just this?

3. HopefulMama

HopefulMama Member

Dislikes Received:
    I actually have this. I was just this week diagnosed with Hashimoto's brought on by my last pregnancy. But my problem had been the fluctuating between hyper and hypo- and the hyper stages are honestly harder on me physically and emotionally than the hypo. I'm just (fingers crossed) coming off of one now, so I'm afraid taking this might tip me into hyper again. But the reviews online were amazing, and I hate the idea of being on a synthetic med for life (although I won't be as per my endo until my thyroid eventually gets destroyed and I go permanently hypo).
    Let me know how it goes!

4. Vlal

Vlal Guest

We are in the same boat HM - I am not on thyroid replacement because of the exact same issue. It really sucks! Thing is, if you get hyper symptoms, you could just stop or taper down. I understand your caution though. I have concerns too and I think I will wait a bit before trying anything like this. I almost feel like it would be my last resort.

5. Vlal

Vlal Guest

Well they said Autoimmune Thyroid Disease and I am not sure which makers I have, from the look of me, I am guessing Hashimoto's... sometimes people with Hashi's have the antibodies for Graves Disease too. I started to notice something was up with my thyroid in Autumn 2008 - numbers were creeping around. I got diagnosed Spring 2010 when I went hyper. My main thing with hyper is crazy heart rate, can't stop talking, insomnia, hair loss goes crazy (too), can't sit down as feeling like I am buzzing, weight loss without trying to lose, more frequent bowel movements. My hypo symptoms are so lengthy I can't be bothered to write them down! I have that thing you described where I seem to get these little windows where I can feel my thyroid levels must be more normal. Isn't it frustrating?!

I could be wrong as I haven't read up on this but I think thyroiditis (of other causes) can be transient so that the thyroid may recover or be damaged to the point that it partially works. In Hashimoto's it is not transient, it is permanent so the end result will be hypothyroidism because the body is intent on destroying the thyroid completely. Some people unfortunately find that even when treated, they continue to have some of the symptoms associated with hypothyroidism so it can be quite debilitating. I have read of other people with Hashi's saying that even when taking thyroxine they continue to experience cycles of heavy shedding (possibly as the body is still destroying the thyroid?!) and their hair loss has not recovered.

Are you on any meds for your symptoms? I am on Propranolol to control my heart rate as it is so variable.

6. anuta

anuta Guest

I also have Hashimoto's and I am on Levoxyl. Derm was the one to diagnose me when I came with hair loss problem. At that point my TSH was 30 and I did (and still do of course) have antibodies to thyriod hormon. I remember being somewhat more tired than normal, and hair loss of course. But nothing too noticeble. My hair has never grown back and in fact I still keep loosing it. Now - due to Androgenetic Alopecia, according to the same doctor. Levoxyl did help me normalize my TSH pretty quickly, although it got out of control again after my 1st pregnancy.... I heard thyroid drugs can be associated with hair loss, but I figured that walking around with TSH of 30-40 is not a good option either....

7. as324.

as324. Guest

Hey No I am not on synthroid, after my last set of bloodwork my endo called me immediately and basically sounded as if i would die tomorrow if i didnt start on synthroid ASAP. My tsh crept up from 5 to 7. I physically felt no different than I had and just told myself that I would exhaust all other options before signing up for synthroid. I really do intend to never sign up for synthroid. Lucky me this option is doing something pretty quickly lol. So I hope it continues to work. I am also on the essential thyroid support stuff, vitamin C, selenium, B vitamins and iodine.

8. as324.

as324. Guest

Again I didnt test positive for antibodies. So I don't know how all of this applies to autoimmune hashimotos.

9. livEyourlife

livEyourlife Guest

I tried a different supplement arond a month or two ago which also had adrenal/pituitary (I didn't look closely at the ingredients... it was listed as scientific jargon so I didn't know it was animal's adrenal glands!).
    I shed like a dog for 3 days, quit, and then my hair went back to it's "normal" shed again.

I'm on board for thyroid supps with ALL plants/herbs but no glands for me.. it doesn't even say if it's from pigs?

10. as324.

as324. Guest

It says

*Whole Raw tissue concentrated from bovine sources specially processed (freeze-dried) at or below -5° C to preserve natural occurring vitamins, enzymes, nucleotides, lipoproteins and all other cellular components.

Bovine sources as in cattle

11. Vlal

Vlal Guest

Thanks for replying. Did your endo determine the cause of your hypothyroidism as it is not autoimmune? It's weird because in the UK they often wait for people to have a TSH of over 10 before starting treatment... yet you were told that a TSH of 7 was serious.

So you have had your thyroid retested since taking the thyroid supplement or you are going by your temperatures as an indication it is working?