Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Thought this would just get better

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by 4Cats, Mar 11, 2010.

1. 4Cats

4Cats Guest

I lost a quarter-size patch of hair during an incredibly stressful period in December and it looked like some small hairs were coming back, so I decided to see what would happen. In the next six weeks, it doubled in size, so I went to the doctor last Monday and was officially diagnosed. I've had a round of shots and was hopeful that would stem this tide. But it seems to be accelerating! Right now my hair pretty much covers the tennis ball size patch, but it won't within the week. I am getting more and more freaked out that this thing is just going to continue and the medical and cosmetic solutions seem so overwhelming. I appreciate having all of you that have gone before to learn a bit from. If you have any advice for good places in Los Angeles for wigs or toppers, I would be grateful, as I'm pretty unsure of where to begin. Thanks.

2. SabrinaLouise

SabrinaLouise Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi 4Cats (great name -I have 3 cats--love those spoiled rotten kitties!). I'm sorry you are going through this. I think I can speak for everybody here that it's so scary and frustrating to see your hair falling out. I don't have Alopecia Areata but Androgenetic Alopecia, but I wanted to say a few things to you. I am assuming the shots you are referring to were steroids, right? The idea behind those shots is to suppress inflammation. There is a natural anti-inflammatory that you may want to consider that has properties that can awaken hair follicles and that is Emu Oil. Unlike steroids (which unfortunately thin the skin, which is not a good long-term solution), Emu Oil actually thickens the dermis, is anti-inflammatory and has been shown to awaken dormant hair follices. If you get a chance, please go to http://www.skinbiology.com and take a look at their products for hair loss, including Emu Oil S. I don't have any tips for wigs, but I wanted to say Hi and that you came to the right place for help. :)

3. qtpi316

qtpi316 Guest

Hi 4cats. I like that name as well as I have 5! :) I unfortunately can't tell you much about wigs or toppers as I have yet to deal with them, but I have been dealing with Alopecia Areata for a very long time (although I am new to the board and am looking for great advice). From my experience I have had many, many spots and many many injections. I'm still getting the cortisone injections once every 3-4 weeks and it is helping my hair to come back...just not very fast and it doesn't keep it from falling out. In the past I was always able to style my hair a certain way to cover up the bald spots, but now I have resorted to wearing hats and am considering a wig myself. I don't quite know the difference between a topper and a fall and my biggest concern is the clips that clip onto your real hair. I was wearing some synthetic extensions before that were on clips and they hurt quite a bit and would pull at my hair, so I don't know if anything with clips would really be good for someone with Alopecia Areata. I hope you get some better responses though, as I would like to know more too. Good luck with everything.