Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Tiny hope

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Barbarina, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Didnt want to rush into posting my small news, because I dont want to look ridiculous when things go back to square 1. Since may be 4 days my crazy hairloss diminished. I am losing now normal like may be 50 strands, compared to 200-300 even 500

2. megan99

megan99 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    any idea why? thank god and i pray it continues

3. Leelees

Leelees Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Best wishes for this reduced hair loss to continue!!

4. Barbarina

Dislikes Received:
    Who could really know ? <may be minoxidil dread shed which settled in 3 years later (????) Never had it in the beginning. May be because I increased iron intace - es mentioned on so many hairloss forums it should be up to 170 and mine was 90 last time I checked. May be strong Zink deffitiency shown on a blood test 2 weeks ago, I mentioned it somewhere here already. So taking very strong supplements now. Wig shop lady whom I was visiting last week said that no answer really is found for the onset of prolonged strong hair loss.I am off evel high androgen pill for 3 years already....so who knows really how it works with hair.

5. Megan M

Megan M Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Great news! I would bet it is increased iron and zinc.

6. Barbarina

Dislikes Received:
    Still afraid of taking out my extentions in a couple of weeks:freaked2: However visit to a local wig store convinced me a bit that it is possible even in Germany to find nice peaces.

7. megan99

Dislikes Received:
    have you been consistent with the dutasteride in this time?

8. Barbarina

Dislikes Received:
    No, trying Spironolactone now. I am afraid that Ambien which I am taking every day for several years is causing it. It is not listed in sideeffects - hair loss. but some people on internet forum report it.

9. devbeth

devbeth New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Barbarina, where in Germany do you find wigs at? I just moved here in October...to Garmisch. Are you German? Have you heard of Pantogar? It's a German viviscal i think. Ive read good reviews on it but havnt found it anywhere. Finally. Where do you get your extensions here? Have you found that it pulls out more hair? I've been wanting to try it. Congrats on your lessened shed! Pray it continues!

10. Barbarina

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Devbeth ! Wigs I found by research in some local stores in Berlin. But the choice is not that grand, people are here just not into hair as Americans are. Extentions are never a good option and I have this sickening feeling in my stomach, because I have to take them out in a week or so. Pantovigar is just another vitamin for hair. Tried it. No idea if it did any job. Always thought that viviscal is a shampoo? With extentions I go to a hair dresser who specializes in them. And no I am not German, I am originally fm Russia, but at the moment Berlin is my home. Where are you from ?

11. devbeth

devbeth New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Viviscal is like pantogar then. A hair vitamin taken orally. Maybe I'll wait until i get back to the states to look for hair things then. I just ordered a halo hair piece but my natural hair is too short to blend it. From Russia huh? I had hoped to travel there this year.

12. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Barbarina,
    that is so good to hear. Is your shed still low? I am also on Rogaine and since late December been going through higher shed :(! I went to a hair dr. 3 years ago and what he told me made the most sense. He told me that, no one really understand the mechanism of shedding. There is no treatment out there that will stop shedding. All the treatments available just helps with regrowth of the hair after it sheds. As years go by, I begin to believe this more and more. I myself never experienced dreadshed with Rogaine either and have been using it for 2+ years, but have been through some high shed periods on Rogaine that seemed to be so random. The only pattern I see is that seasons seems to have something to do with it. I tend to lose a lot in June and July and lose very little in Sept and Oct, but even the amount of shedding during these months is really random. The rest of the year is a crap shoot. Last year, I shed very little mid Jan-Mid May. This year, my shed is definitely higher. So who knows. I really wish there was some predictability to this.

13. megan99

Dislikes Received:
    Barbarina,

I am so curious as to why you stopped the dutasteride? What now is your overall assessment of it?

14. Barbarina

Dislikes Received:
    I still take dudasteride but very non religiously. And who knows ? if it helped me or not and what could be initial triggor of all that. I am taking now Androcur, Diane, Rogaine on and off and Spironolactone on and off. Will probably go to my trichologist for a yearly check up to see what is happening on my head, but I dont expect any miracles not espetially this horror of shedding.I am praying that it was really strong Zinc defitioncy which caused all that.

15. Barbarina

Dislikes Received:
    Just to update... No idea, may be it is due to my increased intake of Zink, but it thinks that on my shedding is a bit less. However, I dont see too much of improvement.

16. pasbrillantebrunette

Dislikes Received:
    @Barbarina that seems a lot of anti androgens to me...
    Also, I wanted to ask you a question, I took Spironolactone and androcur, also tried Diane before that. It was working for my hair but I was gaining weight under it (maybe water). Anyway, I had to stop. It happened to me even under spironolactone which is supposedly less potent. Do you think I could try dutasteride 0.5mg every day safely or should I fear to gain more weight with it? Since I stopped all oral anti androgens I am willing to give duta a try but I am afraid of putting on weight, considering I still can not lose what Spironolactone gave me!!

Thanks in advance for your answer;
    BTW, if it's you in your avatar, you are very good-looking!

17. Barbarina

Dislikes Received:
    I seriously dont know what to tell you. At the moment I am going AGAIN through a horrible hair loss. My whish to take dudasteride was based on my own research and a book by Dr Redmond fm NY (not sure I remember his name correctly). Yes, Diane is known for giving you an excess weight, however it also fm the lifestyle. When I am home in Germany I always carry extra weight even so, I eat right and exercise. Now I am on holidays in the mountains and I lost weight - just being a lot in the fresh air I guess, that speeds up my metabolism. For water retentions green tea works miracles, I drink a lot of it. May be try to go to a holistic Dr when I am back in Berlin, because if my hair shedding continues - losing long thick strands and tons of miniaturized cotton candy ones. Sorry, can not help more.

pasbrillantebrunette likes this.
  18. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been taking dutasteriede and Avodart for quite a few years and my weight has stayed basically the same, if that helps anyone. My hair loss also seems to have stabilized.

pasbrillantebrunette and mcat11 like this.
  19. pasbrillantebrunette

Dislikes Received:
    Okay thanks. What would help me is to know if you have try Spironolactone and if you gained weight with it? If yes, then it could mean duta could be my way to go. If you did not, then it could mean you are just less sensitive than me to anti androgens in general and I would put on weight with duta anyway. I know it's ghetto science, but I really can not take any risk. It's sad enough to lose your hair, but to get fat in the process is just too much.
    @Barbarina thanks for your answer. I know it is not from my life style, which is really healthy and I leave in the same town as when I was slim. The reason I ask is because we are not talking about a little weight gain, but more like 20 lbs in 8 months, which now refuse to leave me even though I starve myself! So I am not entitled to another mistake with treatment, but at the same time I would like to treat my hair loss...

mcat11 likes this.
  20. Barbarina

Dislikes Received:
    Deidre, may I ask your age and if you every been on BCP? And what dose of Avodart and Dudasteride are you on ?

mcat11 likes this.