Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

To Sally Turney re: knotting

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by skyline, May 19, 2005.

1. skyline

skyline Guest

Hi Sally!
    I was wondering if you could help me...
    Ever since I tried Spironolactone last September for three months, my hair has been knotting a lot. The Spironolactone REALLY dried my hair out, and I can't get the ends back on track. Can you recommend a conditioner or deep conditioning treatment that would help? I comb it out every day, but the nape seems to be knotted five minutes later. I have tried V05 hot oils and Aussie 3 Minute Miracle. Neither did much. Is there a conditioner that is particularly good for tangly, damaged hair (but not too flattening, if it is a daily treatment)?
    Thanks so much! I figured this would be right up your alley, but if you don't know -- no worries.
    Jessica

2. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Not on Spironolactone myself but have extensions which get dry and I bought a very deep intensive conditioner that is left on the hair for five - 15 mins and washed off .... go into a hair salon and ask them ... thats where I bought mine ... cannot tell you teh name I forgot :roll:

3. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Sorry for my late reply - I have been working away and unable to log on.

The Aussie products are goodf, but not as good for detangling as you may think. Vo5 hot oil (not wishing to be sued) but...well, not ideal for knotty hair!

One of my favourite detangling conditioners is Pantene Smooth and Sleek condioner. None of the other Pantenes work in quite the same way.

For daily detangling, in between washes, try Aussie Hair Insurance (I use this on all the wigs I work with as they get unbelievably knotty in the nape after a days filming). Squirt it through and work the tangle out with a really wide tooth comb. Don't use a detangling comb as these usually make it worse! You need a comb with the widest teeth you can find and preferably rubber tips. My fave is a REVLON one I've had for years.

It may also help to add a little serum, such as Frizz eaze to the areas which tend to knot most as it is a good preventative and keeps the hair soft and shiny.

In high temperatures or when you are experiencing high levels of constant knotting, I would be - brushing hair whenever you can using only an excellent quality hairbrush (Mason Pearson are the WORLDS FINEST!), washing hair with a very good quality shampoo (Kerasilk - again World class!), conditioning with Pantene Smooth and Sleek (only to the areas which need it - don't go massaging it into your scalp- rinsing off with cool water and EVEN applying a small amount of Aussie Slip Detangler before I rinse off and dry. If it is still doing it, I would then add a little frizz eaze too.

Phew! Hope this helps!!

Love Sally x

4. skyline

skyline Guest

Thanks Sally!
    You are the best...
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Jessica

5. skyline

skyline Guest

BTW,
    I have two Mason Pearson brushes (one I've had for 18 years, since I was eight). They are both the child's model, which I don't think is pure bristle but still excellent. Is this good enough?
    I love my Mason Pearson -- my hair always looks a million times better after I use it...
    Jessica

6. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Fabulous!! I was given my first Mason pearson when I was a little girl and had another for my 16th birthday, which I have used to this day. They are so expensive now aren't they? I have a 'Junior' which is medium sized and has nylon and bristle. My hair is thick so I need the nylon. the pure bristle brushes are designed more to polish the hair rather than really get through it. Even a childs brush is fine. They are the Rolls Royce of hair brushes! I keep watching them on eBay, but they are still going for more than I can afford.

Good on you!

7. passionate1

passionate1 Guest

Mason Pearson Brush

I finally broke down and bought my first mason pearson hair brush. It's the one for thin hair. I figure my I need to pamper it as much as possible and from what you said it's the Rolls Royce of hair brushes. I found a website that had them a little cheaper than ebay...not much, but no shipping charge. Can't wait to get it.

8. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Ooh please let me have the link. I pay full price for mine and could really do with a new one for myself.

You are definately doing the right thing. It is the single best thing you can do for you hair.