Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

To wash or not wash every day?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by loandmo, Apr 4, 2015.

1. loandmo

loandmo Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am curious to know how often everyone here washes their hair...right now i am every 2-3 days and the amount of hair I lose makes me want to throw up. I am too scared to wash every day for fear that I will see I lose the same amount no matter what. In between 2-3 days I lose so much I can't even count...I try but give up when I hit around 70 and realize how much more I have to count. I wish I had the face for a shaved head...

2. Roxana

Roxana Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think besides fear of loss in shower, the frequency of wash depends on the oiliness of scalp. If it doesn't bother you every 2-3 days, keep it as is.
    I don't think washing makes a big difference in the amount of hair you loose. If you don't brush in between 2 washes, then your loss builds up and gets revealed in the shower.
    I am now washing daily because I am trying to treat my SD and I am loosing 60-90 per day. When my SD was more under control, I lost 30-50 per day.
    Hope it helps :)

3. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with Roxana - this question comes up at the forum from time to time and the conventional wisdom is always - you are going to lose what you're going to lose. Shampooing your hair doesn't cause hair loss.

4. loandmo

loandmo Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much ladies…I just washed my hair for the first time since thursday and my god am I outraged at what came out…and I haven't even blow dried yet. I am going to try washing every day to see if there is a huge difference between my everyday wash and my 2-3 day wash. If it happens to be much less it may help my mental health…lol…if not…then I'm screwed.

This is what I lost from washing and brushing…I have an asymmetrical bob…but my hair is about 2 inches above my shoulders in the back…

[​IMG]

5. Topcat

Topcat Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi

Having gone through shedding for five years now on and off I think its best to wash every day as the hair loss looks less, the photo below shows what I was losing in 2010 (the first time I started to shed) this was every other day with a hair wash (besides the extra with combing, blow drying and just falling etc) I started washing it every day to make it seem less so it wasnt so upsetting.

I stopped taking photos of the loss in 2011 as it was too depressing but the shedding I had last year and now, thankfully isnt as much as this photo maybe because I have a lot less hair now maybe.

Attached Files:

6. hairld56

hairld56 Guest

This is a great point. Also, are you brushing your hair while it's still wet? I've always heard that it's not good to do that because you hair is weakest when wet. If you are, that could be part of the issue. Hope this helps :)

7. Jenk

Jenk Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Every day. The Trichologist I go to says that with a good shampoo it's very important for scalp health to wash every day! Your scalp gets dirty just like any other part of your body. If you don't wash it - you can have odor, and scalp issues. It is a myth that your natural oils do this or that for your hair. It's dirt and it doesn't go down into the shaft and do wonderful things for your hair- it clogs the follicle. I have to wash every day because not washing it does NOT make the shed any less. If I don't wash for 2 days it is always double the shed. I can't deal with that.. losing what I am losing is hard enough

8. loandmo

loandmo Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks…so I have a scalp that flakes…I am thinking it is a type of psoriasis…maybe fungal? Maybe SD…can I ask what shampoo you all use? I use Aveda Shampure for the most part…I am curious if I should be switching to a Tea Tree shampoo...

9. Topcat

Topcat Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is the only shampoo I can use, I have used it for over 12 years now, I used to have a really bad itchy, flakey scalp that also used to get lumpy spot things that would be really sore, tried this and got instant relief, after a visit to the hairdressers and they have used there own stuff I get a really itchy scalp so I wont try anything else now. I buy the dandruff scalp treatment one, hair is squeaky clean after no build up.

http://www.danielfieldmailorder.co.uk/natural-hair-shampoos/