Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Too many vitamins?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by what now, Apr 13, 2005.

1. what now

what now Guest

I heard that too much vitamin A can cause hair loss but is there anymore vitamins that if you take to much of can cause loss or is harmful to hair aswell.
    right now im taking 3 different brands of vitamins for hair also im taking
    msm
    biotin
    multivitamin

i know it might sound a lot but im so desperate to get my hair healthy and grow and to protect the regrowth :D

2. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

You don't need to take more than one hair vitamin. One of the old posts said that there was an excess of vitamin A in one of the hair vitamins. I think you should stick to just one of those and add the other stuff.
    T.

3. what now

what now Guest

the hair vitamins i take none of them contain vitamin A in the list on the label just my multi-vitamin but i guess taking 3 is or might be a bit much i guess i was desperate when i bought them :D i think i might just cut it down to the one brand :)

4. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

None of them have Vitamin A????? Which ones did you buy? Are you sure about that? It should be the first thing listed.
    T.

PS-I just looked at Shen Min and GNC Nourishhair. Both have Vitamin A. Shen Min has 5000iu and GNC has 1000.

5. what now

what now Guest

No sign of vitamin A being listed :?
    currently taking..
    Holland and Barrett vitamins for hair
    Holland and Barrett Mega vitamins for hair
    Boots skin hair and nails vitamins
    and cant see vitamin A listed in any of them?

6. what now

what now Guest

7. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

I assume you are in the UK???? Does vitamin A have another name??
    T.

8. Ceanne3434

Ceanne3434 Guest

vitamins

Hi,

I had a bad TE bout due to OTC Pill, and during the course of it- i took almost every vitamin I read about: Flaxseed, Biotin, Niacin, Folic, Centrium, Evening Primrose Oil, B6 complex, and more. The Flaxseed oil caplets made my hair extremely soft- making it look and feel thinner. I quit taking it, and my hair thickened back up.

Also, I always used to have this burning sensation on the top of my head and forehead. I suspect it was because of all those vitamins I was taking, because when I stopped, that feeling stopped. Now, I just take Centrium (which is a good idea regardless of hair) and Biotin when I remember.

Be careful with the vitamins, ladies-- too much of anyone one vitamin can actually be harmful. Unless you're really deficient in a certain vitamin, don't over do it. Plus, eating healthier is better than popping pills. Ok- i'll shut up now-- just my opinion.

9. what now

what now Guest

Hi tbacchi yes im in the uk that is what im wondering because i havent a clue if it goes under another name or not?

10. what now

what now Guest

Re: vitamins

Hi ceanne That is what is concerning me i just got really down hearted about this bloody hair loss and just reached out for the vitamin tablets and to be honest i havent a clue if its doing me any good or not? i guess i just got them trying to give me a bit of hope that im doing something to put right this damage and now i havent a clue if im doing right or wrong :oops:

11. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Vitamin K goes by another name too. I would do a search.
    T.

12. what now

what now Guest

thankyou tbacchi :D i am totally lost with this vitamin stuff

13. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Retinol. Is there something there by the name of Retinol?
    T.

14. what now

what now Guest

bare with me a minute i will just type out what the label states on each bottle and in the proper order of the contants ..lol

15. what now

what now Guest

BOOTS SKIN HAIR AND NAILS
    vit D
    vit E
    Beta carotene
    thiamin (vit B1)
    rioflavin(vitB2)
    vitamin B6
    folic acid
    vit C
    magnesium
    copper
    iron
    managanese
    selenium
    zinc
    evening of primrose oil
    gama lindenic acid
    l-cysteine andhydrous

HOLLAND AND BARRETT VITAMINS FOR HAIR
    niacin
    folic acid
    vit B12
    pantothenic acid
    iron
    zinc
    iodine
    choline bitartrate
    inositol
    PABBA
    copper
    manganese
    protein
    in a base of brewers yeast

HOLLAND AND BARRETT MEGA VITAMINS FOR HAIR
    beta carotene
    vit c
    thiamine(vit B1)
    riboflavin(vit B2)
    niacin
    vit B6
    folic acid
    vit B12
    biotin
    zinc
    l-cysteine
    PABBA
    inositol
    choline
    copper

PHEW :lol:

16. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Bingo! Beta Carotene is your vitamin A. What amount is in the vitamin?

17. what now

what now Guest

boots its 4.0mg
    holland and barrett
    6mg

18. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

I don't know how that translates into IU?????? In my own opinion, I think you are over doing it.
    T.

PS-And I take a million different supplements a day.

19. what now

what now Guest

would the best thing to do is take
    2 msm tablets a day
    biotin
    and just take theH&B mega vitamins a day and forget about the rest ? :)

20. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

I would take one hair vitamin along with the msm and biotin you are taking. If you want, I'll send you a list of exactly what I am taking tomorrow. I see a homeopath on a monthly basis. I don't take one hair vitamin.
    T.