Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Too many vitamins?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by what now, Apr 13, 2005.

1. what now

what now Guest

Many thanks tbacchi :D for taking the time to sort this out for me.

2. skyline

skyline Guest

As someone whose hair loss is from a Vitamin A derivative (Accutane), I can tell you that beta carotene is ok. It's retinol that's the problem. Your body converts what A it needs from beta carotene and flushes the rest out. Retinol, on the other hand, is not water-soluble and builds up in your liver. So... if your vitamin only has beta carotene, don't worry about ODing on A.
    Jessica

3. what now

what now Guest

Im even more confused now :lol:

4. what now

what now Guest

Today ive got lined up
    MSM
    Biotin
    mega vitamins for hair
    does that sound ok and should i stick with just that or add anything else. :?

5. teester

teester Guest

Skyline,
    When you say Retinol, does that include topical retin-a. I use that for my acne?

6. skyline

skyline Guest

what now,
    don't be confused! beta carotene is ok, and that's what's in your vitamin!

teester,
    i would be more concerned about oral retinol but i have read some posts from people on the internet claiming that they had hair loss from topicals. for what it's worth, i used retin a before accutane and it didn't do anything to my hair! but, if you're concerned, you could switch to something else.

jessica

7. teester

teester Guest

thanks skyline. Retin a works so well for my acne and with shrinking my pore size and fine wrinkles...I would like to cont. using it.