Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Topical Finestride, Topical Spriolanactone Seem To Be Working

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by mcat11, Aug 3, 2017.

1. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey All
    Let me preface this thread by saying I am using several things.
    I started at different time periods so there is NO WAY I can say with a 100% certainty what is working best..I think it's a synergistic effect and they are all working together well for me.
    But everyone is different so I can't promise this would work for anyone else.

That said. I am sharing because part of what frustrated me in my hair loss journey was the lack of information on women...the men seem to have these very detailed regimens unfortunately with women I do not know what is going on, if it is lack of Doctors and research, lack of experimentation or women who do well move on without sharing information...If it is the last--I did not want to be one of those women. I wanted to share with my sisters in hair loss, who want to fight the good fight what is helping me at least for now (hair loss is unpredictable but I am having a very good response for now).

I'm 46
    I started to lose hair loss around 33. It was very mild at that time.
    I did not really notice at that time but NOW can see in old pics the very early signs.

It started in front part line but by age 40 it was starting to thin on crown and sides.

I am lucky in some ways I have 'good' hair for mild hair loss as it is kind of bouncy at root so not super noticeable when hair is styled.,..and it started out very dense--so it did not really become noticeable for a very long time..and to be honest i still get away with no topik/concealrs or anything BUT i have to part it on side part, and even that part was starting to look a bit wide without some eye brow powder.

In 2016 it did take a turn for worse.

I had a biopsy and blood work done.
    I have 'Early stage androgenic alopecia and it was worsened by being ferritin anemic.
    It was technically not 'early stage' but where they took the biopsy was on crown an area not as affected as the front which was probably more advanced.

My pattern is front middle part line/ (christmas tree).
    The back of my hair is unaffected. Although it always shed long hairs--no signs of miniaturization from 3 Doctors who confirmed with that magnifying tool they use. (my pony tail is always dense still)

First thing I did with my Dr was build up my iron stores with iron pills and the appropriate follow up blood work every 6 weeks. ( ferritin I started at 10--we got up to 50 or 60 last test--the goal is still over 70)

From 4/16 to 9/16 I treated with Iron pills, biotin (
    just makes hair grow faster not a hair loss treatment), Also Keto shampoo 3x a week.

in 9/16 my iron was up to 40
    (the goal is over 70---still not there its hard to get iron up for some people you have to monitor with a Dr or you can go toxic in blood)
    I was still shedding a lot. I was always a heavy shedder (average shower like 50 hairs shed, long and short hairs).

In 9/16 I added topical Spironolactone and estrodial (weaker one not the strong one)
    I noticed decrease in shedding within a month or so.

I added 5% foam Minoxidil n 10/16 or 11/16 (can't remember but i waited until shed seem to slow down from Spironolactone and or ferritin levels increasing--hard to say which. But shed had cut down to 1/2 to about 20 on average in shower.)

I had good regrowth by 2/17 ( I did have the 'dread shed' weeks 3 and 4 on minoxidil after that shed was on average 20 hairs a wash.)
    I was very happy--it was not miracle re-growth but MUCH better then where I was in September at base line in my photos and in my mirror.

In 6/17 I started to shed small hairs. I had normal amount of long hairs shedding but the miniaturized hairs shedding started up again which I had not seen much of those short hairs since Fall of 2016 and was concerning as a few of them were even thick and healthy looking but just short 1 to 3 inches in length.
    This went on all of June and into July.

I did some research and I kept going back to research on oral finasteride and dutasteride but felt nervous to start oral drugs yet (always keep it in back of my mind though). I considered the low androgen birth control pills and oral Spironolactone. I just kept doing research. My mind kept going back to finasteride as the lack of sides in women (other than getting pregnant--which is not an issue for me as I am 46 and I am not going to have a child at this age, don't want one.)

7/17 I added topical finasteride which was 3 weeks ago I started.
    Within the first 2 weeks I noticed a huge slow down in the short hair shedding..it was gradual each day getting less and less...

This 3rd week my hair is thickening up with regrowth.
    I also noticed not only am I no longer shedding short hairs, my long hair shed went from average 20 down to like 7 past few days. (this is too early to KNOW for sure if its coincidence of course, I can keep you posted on this if it changes.)

Hard to tell exactly what is doing 'what'.
    It COULD be the treatments I was already on doing a periodic shed (this supposedly happens, people shed like 7 to 10 months in and then re-thicken, and so on and so on, cycling stronger hair.
    Although Doctors say it does not happen--lots of people experiencing this on the forums--so I can't say).

My instincts are telling me I am a good responder to the finasteride because my hair is actually starting to look better than it did before I started to shed again.

I am kind of excited and if it stays how it is right now--it's good enough for me.
    It it continues to improve--which finasteride does do this for some people over a year or more--then I of course will 'feel' in remission, and hopefully can make the bridge to what is going on in Japan with potential cures and or better treatments (after 2020 I think we will see better treatments, perhaps even a cure).

I am going to take some after photos in September I think (unless I start shedding again which will be depressing but who knows with these medications--some people get a shed period on finasteride when it's working I think several months in).

I am not going to put pics up on the forum but in September I will share in PM if people want to see.
    I just do not like that this forum does not have an edit or delete option.

I will say this.
    I have mild hair loss compared to most people...
    I have it for a long time and its been a very slow progression.

So I personally may be okay with topicals where other women may not have this response.
    I do think its worth a shot because no way to know.
    (if you are not going to get pregnant of course--discuss time line with a Dr how long medications need to be out of system before conception).

I am going to try and get a DHT test when I see my Gyno because if the finasteride is working by going systemic--then I may as well take a pill--and the topical finasteride makes my hair a little greasy, which can just be how this is compounded--but my Spironolactone and the foam minoxidil--i am not greasy from next morning--so not always convenient. This is a MILD inconvenience not something that would deter me of course.
    But if it's working 'systemic', I would rather take a pill..I will let you guys know.

I have no side effects from anything I take so far.
    I did start gradual because I can be a hypochondriac with medications lol..I wanted to make sure I did not spook myself. Reading forums can do this to me..as I think most people so you have to be self aware.
    Of course some do get actual side effects so you have to be realistic with yourself and what is actually happening pro or con.
    But to be honest other than normal stress from hair loss (it's a roller coaster and so depressing, and even when you have good response it's a high/low feeling so I think a lot of it effects our minds).
    I do not have any side effects so far.
    I get blood work done over next two months both from a physical and an annual with my Gyno so If anything is suspect or weird in my blood work I will come back and update.

@admin You really should work on an edit/delete option so in case something turns out negative--we can warn one another at a later date.

2. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    PS I am not going to give information of where I get my topical medications, so please do not ask me.

Try to talk to your dermatologists about it, maybe your gyno maybe your primary or endo who you like and have a good relationship with---they will have to have it made at a compounding pharmacy so maybe call local compounding pharmacies who take your insurance and your Dr can call in scripts too...
    I mean you have to do some of the heavy lifting with hair loss unfortunately.
    Print out research for your doctors in advance to discuss with them the safety concerns they may have.
    I know my Derm did not even know it can work in women-I had to print stuff out for her...she is very cool and we are very friendly beyond medical so it was not a problem for her ego but some it will be.

I know in 2/18 there is a company (cant think of name of them, sorry) who are releasing a long study on topical finasteride for the least strength needed to work on hair and also NOT to go systemic---so you may wish to wait on this study because I think it will hold weight with more Doctors at both the safety and efficiency.
    This is not that far off so maybe wait for this if you have no luck with your doctors.
    You have to be careful who you get medications from and always better it is your doctors you know face to face.

3. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. I am taking oral finasteride 5 mg, cheaper than avodart and apparently is blocking up to 70% of DHT, when avodart does it even better - up to 90%. This info is according to Dr Redmonds book "It is your hormons" However dont see grand change at the moment, Just this morning pulled fm my sides and front line all together about 70 hairs - I do see some regrowth, but so little that it by no mean will ever reach the full lenght. Also cotton candy hair is caught in my brush lately. If it would be winter, would think it all comes fm pullowers etc.

sunny, Nadia1972 and mcat11 like this.
  4. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    How is your ferritin levels? this does not cause hair loss (androgenic) but it can cause shedding, which will make hair loss more apparent.
    Aldo od you use Minoxidil?

You can try dutasteride--that is supposed to block both enzymes that covert to DHT..finasteride blocks only 1 of them..but I do not know a lot about dutasteride..there is a good study on finasteride and dutasteride for women for 3 years and both got excellent results but I think dutasteride was a little higher in good results wth women who were still ovulating. I do no know why.

5. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My ferretin was never below 70 and when I was supplementing, rocketed up until 140, but may be my body needs higher dosages, so I am taking it again and will see what will happen. Will stick to finasteride so far, because avodart/dudasteride is touch to expensive for my current budjet, but probably will go back to it if no improvement.

sunny and mcat11 like this.
  6. admin

admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Dislikes Received:
    #6 admin, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  7. admin

admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm, you should see an "Edit" option on your posts. The button is at the bottom of the post.

Admin

8. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Huh, interesting. Has anyone done oral + topical? (I already take it orally).

9. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    I only see a 'quote' and 'reply' option.

10. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
  11. Linz

Linz Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thx for your amazing post!
    Are you still taking the rogaine and Spironolactone?

QUOTE="mcat11, post: 248082, member: 164729"]Hey All
    Let me preface this thread by saying I am using several things.
    I started at different time periods so there is NO WAY I can say with a 100% certainty what is working best..I think it's a synergistic effect and they are all working together well for me.
    But everyone is different so I can't promise this would work for anyone else.

That said. I am sharing because part of what frustrated me in my hair loss journey was the lack of information on women...the men seem to have these very detailed regimens unfortunately with women I do not know what is going on, if it is lack of Doctors and research, lack of experimentation or women who do well move on without sharing information...If it is the last--I did not want to be one of those women. I wanted to share with my sisters in hair loss, who want to fight the good fight what is helping me at least for now (hair loss is unpredictable but I am having a very good response for now).

I'm 46
    I started to lose hair loss around 33. It was very mild at that time.
    I did not really notice at that time but NOW can see in old pics the very early signs.

It started in front part line but by age 40 it was starting to thin on crown and sides.

I am lucky in some ways I have 'good' hair for mild hair loss as it is kind of bouncy at root so not super noticeable when hair is styled.,..and it started out very dense--so it did not really become noticeable for a very long time..and to be honest i still get away with no topik/concealrs or anything BUT i have to part it on side part, and even that part was starting to look a bit wide without some eye brow powder.

In 2016 it did take a turn for worse.

I had a biopsy and blood work done.
    I have 'Early stage androgenic alopecia and it was worsened by being ferritin anemic.
    It was technically not 'early stage' but where they took the biopsy was on crown an area not as affected as the front which was probably more advanced.

My pattern is front middle part line/ (christmas tree).
    The back of my hair is unaffected. Although it always shed long hairs--no signs of miniaturization from 3 Doctors who confirmed with that magnifying tool they use. (my pony tail is always dense still)

First thing I did with my Dr was build up my iron stores with iron pills and the appropriate follow up blood work every 6 weeks. ( ferritin I started at 10--we got up to 50 or 60 last test--the goal is still over 70)

From 4/16 to 9/16 I treated with Iron pills, biotin (
    just makes hair grow faster not a hair loss treatment), Also Keto shampoo 3x a week.

in 9/16 my iron was up to 40
    (the goal is over 70---still not there its hard to get iron up for some people you have to monitor with a Dr or you can go toxic in blood)
    I was still shedding a lot. I was always a heavy shedder (average shower like 50 hairs shed, long and short hairs).

In 9/16 I added topical Spironolactone and estrodial (weaker one not the strong one)
    I noticed decrease in shedding within a month or so.

I added 5% foam Minoxidil n 10/16 or 11/16 (can't remember but i waited until shed seem to slow down from Spironolactone and or ferritin levels increasing--hard to say which. But shed had cut down to 1/2 to about 20 on average in shower.)

I had good regrowth by 2/17 ( I did have the 'dread shed' weeks 3 and 4 on minoxidil after that shed was on average 20 hairs a wash.)
    I was very happy--it was not miracle re-growth but MUCH better then where I was in September at base line in my photos and in my mirror.

In 6/17 I started to shed small hairs. I had normal amount of long hairs shedding but the miniaturized hairs shedding started up again which I had not seen much of those short hairs since Fall of 2016 and was concerning as a few of them were even thick and healthy looking but just short 1 to 3 inches in length.
    This went on all of June and into July.

I did some research and I kept going back to research on oral finasteride and dutasteride but felt nervous to start oral drugs yet (always keep it in back of my mind though). I considered the low androgen birth control pills and oral Spironolactone. I just kept doing research. My mind kept going back to finasteride as the lack of sides in women (other than getting pregnant--which is not an issue for me as I am 46 and I am not going to have a child at this age, don't want one.)

7/17 I added topical finasteride which was 3 weeks ago I started.
    Within the first 2 weeks I noticed a huge slow down in the short hair shedding..it was gradual each day getting less and less...

This 3rd week my hair is thickening up with regrowth.
    I also noticed not only am I no longer shedding short hairs, my long hair shed went from average 20 down to like 7 past few days. (this is too early to KNOW for sure if its coincidence of course, I can keep you posted on this if it changes.)

Hard to tell exactly what is doing 'what'.
    It COULD be the treatments I was already on doing a periodic shed (this supposedly happens, people shed like 7 to 10 months in and then re-thicken, and so on and so on, cycling stronger hair.
    Although Doctors say it does not happen--lots of people experiencing this on the forums--so I can't say).

My instincts are telling me I am a good responder to the finasteride because my hair is actually starting to look better than it did before I started to shed again.

I am kind of excited and if it stays how it is right now--it's good enough for me.
    It it continues to improve--which finasteride does do this for some people over a year or more--then I of course will 'feel' in remission, and hopefully can make the bridge to what is going on in Japan with potential cures and or better treatments (after 2020 I think we will see better treatments, perhaps even a cure).

I am going to take some after photos in September I think (unless I start shedding again which will be depressing but who knows with these medications--some people get a shed period on finasteride when it's working I think several months in).

I am not going to put pics up on the forum but in September I will share in PM if people want to see.
    I just do not like that this forum does not have an edit or delete option.

I will say this.
    I have mild hair loss compared to most people...
    I have it for a long time and its been a very slow progression.

So I personally may be okay with topicals where other women may not have this response.
    I do think its worth a shot because no way to know.
    (if you are not going to get pregnant of course--discuss time line with a Dr how long medications need to be out of system before conception).

I am going to try and get a DHT test when I see my Gyno because if the finasteride is working by going systemic--then I may as well take a pill--and the topical finasteride makes my hair a little greasy, which can just be how this is compounded--but my Spironolactone and the foam minoxidil--i am not greasy from next morning--so not always convenient. This is a MILD inconvenience not something that would deter me of course.
    But if it's working 'systemic', I would rather take a pill..I will let you guys know.

I have no side effects from anything I take so far.
    I did start gradual because I can be a hypochondriac with medications lol..I wanted to make sure I did not spook myself. Reading forums can do this to me..as I think most people so you have to be self aware.
    Of course some do get actual side effects so you have to be realistic with yourself and what is actually happening pro or con.
    But to be honest other than normal stress from hair loss (it's a roller coaster and so depressing, and even when you have good response it's a high/low feeling so I think a lot of it effects our minds).
    I do not have any side effects so far.
    I get blood work done over next two months both from a physical and an annual with my Gyno so If anything is suspect or weird in my blood work I will come back and update.

@admin You really should work on an edit/delete option so in case something turns out negative--we can warn one another at a later date.

12. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    [/QUOTE]

thank you

Yes, I am still using topical Spironolactone and minoxidil as well as the addition of topical finasteride...
    Its over a year using the topical Spironolactone and minoxidil (which slowed down the loss and gave me some decent regrowth)
    It is now 3 months since adding the topical finasteride...

It's 2 months since I posted this thread (I think)--

The progress since I started this thread is astounding to me.

I can say with some certainty that the addition of finasteride was a total game changer for my hair especially the past month.

This is why I wish their was an edit button (I can't PM either???) I would fix the original post to reflect the certainty I now have that the addition of topical finasteride not only is saving my hair but increasing the regrowth in the past 2 months.

I can't say if it is going systemic or not BUT I personally have no side effects from any of the drugs I am using except some mild darkening of facial hair mostly on the hair line and upper checks from minoxidil which is easily removed via threading 1x a month.

@pasbrillantebrunette what blood tests should I get to see if it goes systemic?? I see my Gyno in few weeks. maybe if I get a test it can help to prove if it goes systemic or not. Or if it does how much.

sunny and Maasai like this.
  13. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    Just to add (why do I not have an edit function?)

My ferritin was tested again this past month, its around 100 now, so I am working with my Dr to maintain it around this level. He always believed this helps with regrowth and how well the medications work..Kind of makes sense since hair needs ferritin to grow so if you are having hair issues and a shortage of stored ferritin--this can be a connection..I dont think ferritin a lone would regrow hair though. the studies i read it was about the hair loss treatment working better in people who raised ferrite above 70.

When I read all the ups/downs of treatments though it does make me scared like I have a great reprieve from medications but is it only temporary? I don't know.

14. Linz

Linz Member

Dislikes Received:
    Will you update us if you decide to switch to the pill form of finasteride? All the topical treatments seem like a lot of work.

thank you

Yes, I am still using topical Spironolactone and minoxidil as well as the addition of topical finasteride...
    Its over a year using the topical Spironolactone and minoxidil (which slowed down the loss and gave me some decent regrowth)
    It is now 3 months since adding the topical finasteride...

It's 2 months since I posted this thread (I think)--

The progress since I started this thread is astounding to me.

I can say with some certainty that the addition of finasteride was a total game changer for my hair especially the past month.

This is why I wish their was an edit button (I can't PM either???) I would fix the original post to reflect the certainty I now have that the addition of topical finasteride not only is saving my hair but increasing the regrowth in the past 2 months.

I can't say if it is going systemic or not BUT I personally have no side effects from any of the drugs I am using except some mild darkening of facial hair mostly on the hair line and upper checks from minoxidil which is easily removed via threading 1x a month.

@pasbrillantebrunette what blood tests should I get to see if it goes systemic?? I see my Gyno in few weeks. maybe if I get a test it can help to prove if it goes systemic or not. Or if it does how much.[/QUOTE]

sunny likes this.
  15. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    [/QUOTE]

Big picture of hair loss?
    It's very easy to use topical treatments.

It's takes 30 seconds to spray my scalp and maybe another 30 to put on minoxidil.

It's that I have to wash my hair more often--which to be honest I had to do anyway because since hair loss my scalp was more greasy quicker than before hair loss...so it's not any extra work to speak of to be honest.

I doubt I am going to switch to oral medications because I don't feel any systemic side effects.

Even if it is systemic-(which I don't know yet)-so far I don't feel anything and would not want to tempt fate by switching.
    IF the blood test comes back showing it went systemic--I will keep you guys posted.

sunny likes this.
  16. sunny

sunny New Member

Dislikes Received:
    so thankful for this thread!

mcat11 likes this.
  17. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    Update

Still did not get blood work done..I am super busy and I had to postpone my Dr appointment.

I don't feel sides--BUT I cant say for sure so if considering children I would definitely speak to your Dr before trying this just in case it goes systemic.

As for my progress-
    I am having continued success--it's pretty amazing.
    It did not reverse 100% what I lost but I would say so far I got back maybe 40% to 50% of what I lost (hard to quantify that is just my impression).
    Center front part is still a bit thin so I don't know if that is ever going to completely come back but thats okay my side parts look great (they were starting to look thin before) and when I pull it back in a bun the front hair line has thickened up enough it looks normal. (had looked very thin for a while).
    I notice also I see less scalp on sides (by my ears) when I part it to put on my topicals.
    Whats crazy is how many baby hairs I have back framing my face, and I feel like my hair line has actually lowered ( i think it just thickened so it makes me think it lowered in mirror like an illusion). I think the baby hairs had really thinned out over past few years.

Another crazy thing is my grey hairs are a lot less--I am going much longer between getting my color done even my colorist noticed I have less grey--again it his might be an illusion like more hair is coming in so the grey are less noticeable (i have not got a lot of grey yet to begin with). My hair also seems less oily, again this may be more hair the oil gets absorbed more. Before I was having to wash hair every day--now even with topicals I can get away with skipping a day. ( i mean it does not look great if i do that due to stuff in hair, looks messy but does not look oily like before).

If i had to pick the Spironolactone vs the finasteride (i am using both) I would go with the finasteride
    I know finasteride is harder to get in topical but I would definitely beat bushes and call around for it.
    I am going to continue using both.

*Dont use either topical without consulting a Dr, doing research if you are going to get pregnant at some point*

18. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    I finally did also get my ferritin up to 100 (In spring of 2015 it was 10, now Fall of 2017 it is up to 100) so this may have helped medications work well.
    A lot of the information on internet about Iron levels and hair loss is misquoted and misunderstood IMO.

The actual studies say getting it up over 70 while also working in conjunction with hair loss medications (both anti androgens and topical minoxidil) Yields better results or response to the medications.

Dr Costarellis is one of the Doctors who published a study on this and he is often taken out of context in articles--the articles usually leave out the part about the study treating the low level ferritin in conjunction with Alopecia Areata drugs and Minoxidil yielded better results than those who they did not treat the low level of ferritin.

These articles are misinforming women its just their iron (and unfortunately a lot of Doctors who are not really up on hair loss research in women) that the iron alone is the culprit. Not unless you are a full on anemic I do not think.

Ferritin is needed to grow hair.
    So if you are already fighting hereditary hair loss and/or sensitivity to DHT or thyroid etc..having a low ferritin level in addition is just going to make your hair loss worse.
    If you have low ferritin # and hair loss it's a good idea to treat BOTH.
    Not one of the other.

Thats only for women whose levels are low--if your levels are over 70 then it's not going to be applicable.
    Don't self-medicate with iron--you have to monitor your iron intake so it does not become toxic.
    You have to get a ferritin test--know your start point and then work with a Dr (or lab) and get it tested every 6 weeks as you supplement.
    For me I had to take iron on empty stomach with Orange juice or vitamin c pill since I am very resistant to building ferritin.

19. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mcat, my derm is willing to call a compounding pharmacy and order topical minoxidil with finasteride so I can try it. Do you happen to know what % finasteride is in your formula?

20. mcat11

Dislikes Received:

mine is 0.5% formula..I don't know what the vehicle it is mixed with i am going to guess something ethanol (I am really not sure)

I know Hasson and Wong sell one that is 0.25%

I often have read of them also being 0.1%

I know mine is working on my hair but I wish I had done blood work as baseline to say if it goes systemic or not but I am definitely NOT having kids so I care--but don't care if it goes systemic if that makes sense.

These are some links that might help you figure it out with your Doctor.

https://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/threa...-on-your-topical-finasteride-experiment/page6
    https://3pfizs243h34c09mn6s0ul69-wp...mic-of-p-3074-finateride-topical-solution.pdf
    https://hassonandwong.com/topical-finasteride-solution-prescription/
    https://hassonandwong.com/topical-finasteride-update/
    http://www.hairlosscure2020.com/?s=topical+finasteride