Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Topper detectability

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by lady_a, Apr 10, 2013.

1. lady_a

lady_a Guest

Hi ladies,
    Just wanted to know wat ur experience was wearing ur first topper into work..
    Today is the first time im going to wear my topper to work and im extremely anxious about colleagues noticing. Up til now, ive worn my bio hair up everyday and it's just gotten to the point where im so sick of the same messy hairstyle.. I work with a lot of middle aged people so hopefully they have no idea.. I'll post my experience after the end of today... I am sooo scared :-(

2. TesserCat

TesserCat Guest

I'm in the same place you are :) I just got my first topper, and I've worn it around the house, but not out yet. I am partly nervous it will be detectable, and partly excited that my hair will look nice for the first time in a long time LOL. Do let us know how your day turned out!

3. Janie-Ann

Janie-Ann Guest

One thing I did when I first got my first topper was wearing it out and about in places where I was pretty sure I wouldn't run into anyone I knew, just doing a lot of shopping, eating, interacting with STRANGERS. Once I realized that no one was staring at my head or pointing and asking, "is that a wig???" I kind of relaxed into it and it didn't feel like such an alien.
    And I wore it up a lot in the beginning, letting it look a little messy. My topper was longer at first and I didn't feel confident having that much pretty long hair all of a sudden, so wearing it up in a big clip in the back helped me feel less like a "fraud," if you know what I mean...
    Keep us posted...

4. lau

lau New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know exactly how you feel. I started wearing my first topper to work last week and I was so servous I couldn't sleep! I always wore my hair in a bun so nobody knew what my hair looked like when it was down. I think this helped a lot ;) I am a teacher and my students are extremely observative and they notice everything new, from earrings to shoes so I thought I would get some remerks about the hair. I wore it in a plaid the first day and all the comments I got were 'did you colour your hair? It looks nice. I did tell my students that I had got some extensions and a new haircolour. My colleagues just said something along the same lines as my students and nobody stared at it as I had thought would happen. So don't worry, you are going to be fine! Maybe wear it up or in a clip the first few days so it's not such a big transition to wearing it down. Good luck!

5. TesserCat

TesserCat Guest

This is helpful to me, thanks :) I totally know what you mean about not feeling confident "having that much pretty long hair all of a sudden" :) I still haven't worn mine to work, but we go on vacation soon & I plan to wear it then (will only see one person I know, my niece, and we haven't seen each other in over a year). I like the big clip idea!!

6. lady_a

lady_a Guest

My topper and I (lol) had a pretty good day at work, though I was still paranoid. I dont think it looked wiggy at all, just the change from super thin hair to all of a sudden niceish hair made me paranoid. I certainly looked a lot nicer and younger. But not sure if any of my colleagues figured it out. My boss certainly didnt.
    I think next time ill put my hair back in a clip like Janie Ann so the change isnt as drastic.
    Now all im worried about is having to wash it. I am absolutely clueless!!!!

7. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Lady_a, is your topper a clip-on or bonded?

8. lady_a

lady_a Guest

Lily - my topper is clip in..

9. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I also wear clip-on toppers - I alternate between two - a "clean" topper which I wear most of the time and a "dirty" one which I wear for walking, yoga, golf etc. I wash the dirty one and the clean one cycles into the dirty category. I use a very good shampoo and conditioner which I purchase from my stylist - gently wash the topper, blot it dry and use lots of conditioner. I comb it through with a wide-toothed comb and leave it on for 45 minutes or so, then rinse thoroughly. Topper hair can get dry because your body is replenishing it with oils, of course. I'm not very good at styling my topper (or my bio hair) so use Velcro rollers for fine hair - gentler on the hair. I'm not sure this is the best for the topper but is about my limit in styling skill. I use very little hairspray so don't wash my toppers more than once a month or so, depending on my activity level, hot weather, etc.

10. Janie-Ann

Janie-Ann Guest

Lady, so glad the first day went well!!! It does get easier and you'll feel more confident as you get used to it. For some reason, for me, it seems when I just plop it on and run out the door, it looks better than when I fuss and fuss over it. Not sure what that means, just wanted to put it out there...

Washing it is a whole other subject, ha ha. Maybe you can do a search and read some old posts. My advice for now is leave a lot of time and take it slow, don't be rushed and don't do it hours before an "event" or something. What freaked me out was how truly awful it looks when wet, like a dead rat. I was convinced it would never look normal again. But it does/ it will. So try and stay calm, you'll do fine.

Lily's suggestion about Velcro rollers is great. I've put them in big velcro ones when the topper hair is just slightly slightly damp after air drying on the form -- and they really put nice body into it, without all the blow drying (which I'm not good at. you'd think it'd be easier on a head form but I become suddenly dyslexic and klutzy...) I have bangs on my topper and I put a velcro roller into dry bangs when I put on my makeup -- it gets the hair off my face and puts just the right small bit of curl into the bangs.

Again, glad it went well. Keep us posted about that first wash :rolleyes:

11. TesserCat

TesserCat Guest

Lady_a, so glad your first day with the topper went well at work :) (bosses are usually oblivious to what we look like anyway, right? LOL) I have to agree with Janie-Ann about the spooky hot mess it will resemble when wet :) Surprising how it "bounces" back to looking good once it dries. I will have to take Janie-Ann & Lily's advice & get some Velcro rollers for my topper! I've been wondering how to get a little curl in the bangs!

12. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some of my Velcro rollers at Sally's Beauty Supply. They have a roller for fine hair, gentler "teeth."

13. AJaymes118

AJaymes118 Guest

I also just had my first day to work with a bonded topper and I knew the difference would be DRASTIC, so I expected the comments. I work in a cube farm with about 60 other people and I felt like a freak show. Of the 60, at least 59 said something about my hair, but it was all GOOD stuff! Some knew it wasn't my hair and just commented on how nice it looked and how perfect it was, etc. and others that I don't see regularly just asked if I got a new cut or color, those closer to me asked a million questions, touched it, pulled on it, etc. Haha, I'm SO glad I have hair again. I'll never go without a bonded topper again. I can shower, sleep, workout and swim and never think twice about it. :)

I'm glad your day went well, too! I wish I would've done this sooner and not been so concerned about what everyone else would think.

14. TesserCat

TesserCat Guest

Thanks for the tip, Lily. There's a Sally Beauty Supply near where I work that I will check for the rollers. Ajaymes, sounds like you had a great experience wearing your topper to work :) I wore mine, it's a clip on, about half of my vacation last week. Some days the topper, some days a cute hat LOL. It was easy as I wasn't seeing too many people I knew, and those folks I hadn't seen in quite awhile. Did wear the topper while flying out & back, and it wasn't detected at all. I had extra "fashionable" barrette type clips in on my way home, & security asked about those, but were very polite & discreet about it.

15. lady_a

lady_a Guest

So ive been wearing my topper into work for a few weeks now and im sure noone has noticed but today in particular im feeling pretty down about it and a little paranoid.. I can see where it starts and im wondering whether other ppl notice it too.. it's just so unfair how we have to go through this.. Im thankful I have my health and other ppl r in far worse situations, but sometimes I just think.. Why me?! Look at all those lucky ppl who never even have to experience the stress and anxiety associated with hair loss.. :-(
    Sorry just wanted to vent..

16. TesserCat

TesserCat Guest

It's cool If you can't vent here about hair loss, where can you? :) I understand what you mean. We (meaning everyone, not just those of us with hair loss)tend to think everyone notices things about us the same way we do...I think it's fair to say, they don't. I even got paranoid wearing mine on vacation, and then I thought "wth", these people don't even know me so I doubt they're noticing a difference in my hair! Sometimes you just need to vent, right?

17. EdenG

EdenG New Member

Dislikes Received:
    [QUOTE = "AJaymes118, post: 218611"] Je venais tout juste de commencer la première journée de travail avec un topper collé et je savais que la différence serait DRASTIC. Je m'attendais donc aux commentaires. Je travaille dans une ferme cubique avec environ 60 autres personnes et je me sentais comme un spectacle monstre. Sur les 60, Alopecia Universalis moins 59 ont dit quelque chose à propos de mes cheveux, mais c'était tout bon! Certains savaient que ce n'était pas mes cheveux et ont juste dit à quel point ils étaient beaux et parfaits, etc., et d'autres que je ne vois pas régulièrement me demandaient simplement si j'avais une nouvelle coupe ou une nouvelle couleur, ceux qui étaient plus proches de moi ont millions de questions, touchées, tirées, etc. Haha, je suis TELLEMENT heureux d’avoir les cheveux à nouveau. Je n'irai jamais sans un topper collé à nouveau. Je peux me doucher, dormir, m'entraîner, nager et ne jamais y penser à deux fois.:)

Je suis content que ta journée se soit bien passée, toi aussi! J'aurais aimé pouvoir le faire plus tôt et ne pas m'inquiéter de ce que tout le monde penserait. [/ QUOTE]
    Hello,

unee you still happy of your bonded topper ? Je veux traverser le parcours mais j'ai très peur

thanks