Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Topper help please!!!

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by LAgirl, Jul 6, 2015.

1. LAgirl

LAgirl New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Extremely new to toppers and would strongly appreciate any help I can get before I purchase one....

I have long hair and will need one (I suspect) that is 18" long to help cover and mask how "stringy" it now looks in the back. (Hits just below bra line) I've got TE and although I have no hair loss at the top and hairline, the entire back, nape and the sides are so noticeably thin I just feel like I need to do something to cover it! I desperately need "more hair" at the bottom. My natural hair is starting to resemble a mullet I swear!!! One would immediately thing "extensions" with this description, but I'd like to avoid anything that will cause traction on the scalp. And a half wig is a little too extreme for me yet even though it's a pretty fun and glam piece to wear.

For reference: My hair is stick straight, naturally shiny, virgin, and is in between a #1B and #4. It's basically a super ashy deep darkest brown. The 1B is definitely too dark but the 4's pull this rich brown that my hair is definitely not. Is it even safe to dye hair when going through TE? (Given I'll never get a good match if I don't?)

The price jump is obviously steep between synthetic (rene of Paris long top for example) and HH. Thanks to resources from this site, I took a look at www.wigsroyal.com and saw HH toppers in the $80-200 range from China. (Compared to (easipart HH HD XL exceeding over $700?) The Chinese ordering system seems a little "unofficial" but I trust people have had decent experiences with them here paying with paypal?

For my very first topper, should I start off with:
    HH or Synthetic?
    Just go visit a pro wig store and get fitted even though I know the markup is 3x more in the stores?
    Dye my TE hair anyway to match a 1B or a 4 even though my TE scalp is so irritated?

Ugh, hair loss.. It is the pits. I just want to feel normal again.

Thanks ladies

2. Sakura

Sakura Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    LAgirl i just bought a topper from wigsroyal like.. 2 weeks ago! it should arrive on july 18. i have spoken with people and they all seem to have good experiences with this company, i hope mine will be beautiful too!
    it is safe to color your hair with TE, no worries!

3. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been wearing a HH topper for over 8 years. I used to clip on but my bio hair got too thin to get a firm grip so now I wear it 24/7 using a weave/bond attachment. I would visit a salon that deals with hair replacement clients for a consultation - neither of my stylists have charged for an initial consultation - you don't have to buy from them but you might learn something. I now have a wonderful stylist who has been working with hair replacement clients for over 20 years. I pay about $900 for a HH topper which includes the cut in.

4. LAgirl

LAgirl New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks ladies for the help!

Sakura- sounds like you managed to make a smooth transaction. I'm encouraged!!!! And you're gonna look gorgeous. Just curious, what kind of hair did you buy? European? Color?

Lily: thank you very much for your first hand knowledge. After reading this, I'm going to take your advice and go have one fitted just to see how it sits, feels, looks. If it's right for me, then place an order of the same type of piece on the web to perhaps help me save some cash. I definitely know these wig shops have an insane markup in my area.

5. Sakura

Sakura Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    indian virgin :) my hair is number 3, but i asked color 2 and i will lighten it if i find it necesary ( indian hair is only virgin if it's 1, 1b or 2)

6. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    How long does your topper last before you have to buy a replacement? Also, how does your stylist bond the topper since you still have hair left? I've heard of women shaving and then bonding a topper, but it would be great to bond without having to do that.

7. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am getting new toppers next week and will have a better idea of how long they last after that -just started wearing them 24/7 about 10 weeks ago. The old toppers (I alternate between two) are doing okay but of course I've slept in each one just 5 weeks. The topper is bonded at my frontal hairline - I was so thin there my stylist didn't even have to shave. For the rest, she does some sort of braid and then uses microfilament to "sew" the hairpiece on. She has been in the biz for over 20 years and swears this does not cause traction alopecia but of course even if it did it wouldn't matter because my bio hair is shot. I guess it doesn't cause more hair loss because the topper loosens slightly as the hair grows out - so does the tension.

8. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Lily, I'll bet it looks lovely. Does it ever itch? My scalp is still super oily at 52, so if I ever go the bonded route, I'm wondering if I'll be able to give my scalp a good enough scrubbing every day.

9. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Surprisingly that hasn't been an issue so far. Of course shampoo and water get through the topper base and I rub it around as best I can when I shampoo. I see my stylist every 5 weeks, would go every 4 weeks if I lived closer. The worst part about wearing the topper 24/7 is styling it on my own head rather than a styrofoam head. It may take awhile to find the best cut/style.

10. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thx, Lily. I think, for myself, I'd rather style hair that's on my head. My problem is I am in the elements twice a day during the school year, so expensive hair would be a waste for me. I'd have to find something middle of the road, probably synthetic.

11. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like most of the ladies at wig support.com wear synthetic. I'm interested in it for traveling, will speak to my stylist when I see her next.

12. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thx, Lily. Hoping to hang onto my crappy hair till 60, but with the amount I lose every day, that'd be a miracle!

13. Rnra1217

Rnra1217 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi LA girl! I would suggest starting with an inexpensive synthetic first just to make sure that you are comfortable with the clips and you can figure out the optimal cap size (I prefer larger caps because they clip further down my head and my hair loss is on the top of my head). I only wear HH toppers and that is what I would recommend when you are ready to really commit to wearing a topper full time. I also wear synthetic wigs, btw. I am experimenting.

I also think you might consider joining heralopecia.com because it is an excellent source of information and a very supportive group for those who wear hair both synthetic and HH. You can search "toppers" there and you can see pictures and reviews etc. Also, there is a great site "the corner of hope and mane" and the founder of the site (Lauren) wears toppers and there is GREAT info there for someone considering the topper route. All of these resources will make you feel that you are not alone and that there are people who can help you find the right hair.

Good luck and keep us posted!

14. LAgirl

LAgirl New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rnra1217,
    Hey there and thanks for the links! I visited a local wig boutique in my area that caters to both men and women with all forms of alopecia. The SA there did not think a topper would do me any good for some reason. (Likely because my hair loss is everywhere BUT the top...) She pulled a one piece clip in extension that was about 10" across and 16" long. After she showed me how to "install" it, it was literally what the doctor ordered. My hair looked good for once in a long time. I had "barely" enough to cover the track. But it looked good. Surprisingly good. Unfortunately, 16" was slightly too short, and they didn't have an 18" available, so off to the world of online shopping I went. I settled on the easihair easivolume HD 18" straight synthetic piece. Originally, this went totally against my promise that I wouldn't resort to extensions, but the traction feels very minimal. And the piece is only 2.2 oz heavy. I wear it out then take it off when I get home. Just ordered a human hair one-piece clip in, waiting for it to arrive in the mail this week.

I am starting to show improvement. My fingers are very crossed. But with a healthy dose of supplements and a mega vamp in veggies/greens intake, I am truly starting to see a turnaround. I posted my new regimen positive stories section.

This forum is really awesome. Everyone here is truly great!