Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Toppers and Kids

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by daisylover, Mar 16, 2012.

1. daisylover

daisylover Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone -- I have a question for all you Mommies out there who wear supplemental hair (whether it's a wig, topper or otherwise).
    How do you explain this to your kids? Or do you? I guess I am worried about them telling friends at school that Mommy wears a wig. Or that when they have friends over to the house, they run in my closet and see my "hair collection" or whatever. How do you all deal with this?
    I think this is another reason why I am thinking of going the bonding route. Not only does it fool me by waking up with hair, but I think it cuts down on the chance of awkward moments with the kids. Any thoughts??

2. ninanajna

ninanajna Guest

Hi!
    I'm also interesed in this topic. I'm not the parent yet, but I do find myself in situations where kids whant to play with my hair. I'm not wearing nothing yet, but dread of the moment I will. Do you let kids play with your hair when it's bonded or do you just turn them down?

3. hautemomma

hautemomma Guest

I currently wear a topper, and have for almost a year. My kids are totally used to seeing me with and without hair, its almost normal to them. My oldest is 4 and I've talked to her about keeping our personal business to ourselves, which includes mommy's hair. They get it that I'm not going to show myself to anyone else without my topper or a hat on my head. About your closet, I think its just a great idea to have certain places that are off limits to your kids (unless invited). Especially for when friends come over to play.

I do feel bad about not letting my little girl play with my hair. :( Also, I almost always wear a low ponytail, because I can totally picture the 2 year old grabbing a handful and yanking the thing off my head in public.

I am in the process of learning about bonded hair and I'm going to make that change soon, since some of my side and back thinning aren't masked by the stock toppers I wear now. Another plus to this will be less stress about my kids inadvertently outing me to passersby.

4. hope4hair

hope4hair Established Member

Dislikes Received:
  5. daisylover

daisylover Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I appreciate the replies. I think for now, I'm going to keep it quiet unless something ever happens. They don't need to know all of Mommy's problems. I know I can't shield them forever, but maybe at least until they are 16 or 18 and can understand a little better.

6. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had total hair loss 9 years before my first child. I have always been open with my two boys, they have seen me bald , with scarves and wigs, I never had a negative encounter because I was open with them, I explained I had lost my hair and that why I could take my hair off (that being the question the first one asked). I found that my kids were much more sensitive to others misfortune, they had a few disabled children in their school and both were good friends with some of them. IMO it also taught them that life is not always a bed of roses, but that even when negative things happen to you it is what you make of it to how it affects your life. I think too it teaches them the skills to cope with the challenges life throws at us.

It also gives a great sense of trust between you. As they have grown up they have encouraged me to enjoy wearing different wigs and not to be ashamed of my hair loss, they have been wig shopping with me before now giving me honest opinions!

Just thought I would add this as a different perspective :mrgreen:

7. Mom2Cuties

Mom2Cuties Member

Dislikes Received:
    Touchy subject with me! I have three boys - 8,6, and 2. I've had a fall for almost 2 years now. My boys don't really see me without it. I've always been worried about their little chatty mouths. Not meaning to talk, but they always manage to say things. They saw me everyday without one and one day I had it on and they asked me about my hair - I said I just fixed it differently.

My husband disagrees with the way I handled it, but I just didn't know what else to do. I put my fall on first thing in the morning and take it off right before bed. It makes me so sad to live like this, but it is just what I've decided to do...for now.

Good luck!

8. alicat

alicat Guest

I have a 21 month old son, and I can already tell he's interested in my hair and hair issues! Since day 1 my son has seen me with my wig on/wig off/hair extensions/head band etc, so I HOPE that this will just be a way of life for him and not really care whether mommy has hair or not. I'm pretty comfy with this issue now, so hopefully this helps him accept my hair issues :) Oh, and of course he'd better not ever blurt out in public that mommy wears a wig. I'm not THAT comfy with my hair issues hahaha! Luckily my boy is very sweet, so my hope is to teach him to keep this our family secret :)