Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Toppik and carry-on luggage for travel

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Blahblahblah, May 20, 2015.

1. Blahblahblah

Blahblahblah Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am taking an international trip for work and checked luggage is practically not an option because of how closely connecting flights are scheduled. This means that topic which is practically my life line has to travel with me in carry-on luggage and I am petrified of security asking questions about it in front of my coworkers, or even worse taking it away. I haven't left my house without toppik on my head in over three years - an important business trip is certainly not the time to flash the world with my shiny scalp :-(

Has anyone recently traveled with toppik in carry-on luggage? Any suggestions? I'd get the travel sized container, but the nozzle applicator doesn't fit it.

2. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you'd even have to take the Toppik out of your carry-on...it's not a liquid. Last year I went on a cruise and flew to various airports. I had bought a sample size Toppik just for fun, to give it a test run on part of my scalp during the cruise. I threw the sample size into a pocket in my purse and kept it there while traveling. Nothing ever got scrutinized by TSA. And I went through three airport security checks. Hope this makes you feel better!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I just realized you mentioned a nozzle applicator so maybe you've got some sort of spray. In that case, I'm not sure how to handle it. Can you put some big labels over the bottle/canister or duct tape? Or put it in another kind of container that's not marked?

3. eco_girl

eco_girl Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I travel all the time- both domestically and internationally. I do have small bottle of Toppik that is in my bag of non liquid toliettries. I've never had anyone ask about it. If you have something that is a spray like the last poster noted, if it's more than 3 oz you won't be able to take it in carry on. I do carry a small canister of hair spray in my 3-1-1 bag of liquids and that goes through without a problem.

4. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    If you are really worried, apply for the TSA Precheck classification. No taking off shoes, unpacking bags, etc. Worth every penny (not that costly)!

5. Blahblahblah

Blahblahblah Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks ladies. The applicator is this thing:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QGKQXO...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7a164scqnf_b
    I suppose I can just put the regular lid on and the applicator would be separate somewhere else in my suitcase. The container of product itself contains less than half an ounce, and you are right - it's not a liquid, so I might just not even bother taking it out.

I've made peace with my Androgenetic Alopecia for the most part - I've lived with it for half my life at this point, I am lucky that somehow I can still get away with just toppik, albeit lots of it, but man it's these situations where I risk exposing this "lovely" little secret to strangers that stress the hell out of me. I hate having to think about this.

6. eco_girl

eco_girl Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know....I wear falls and wigs......they show up on the xray as a yellow box over your head. Some screeners seem to know what it is and leave it be. I have had the occasional screener pat my head.......so far that has only happened when traveling alone........but when I travel with others I do worry about it. If you have TSA pre you go back to the metal detectors.....but I do travel some foreign airlines where you can't use TSA pre.