Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Toppik question

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by LivinwithaHairPiece, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Can you brush your hair after applying Toppik? If you brush your hair after applying it, does it come out in the brush and on the floor? What happens with Toppik if it rains or if you lay down?

thanks!

Kelly

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    No, you really can't brush your hair w/o disturbing the Toppik, although what is on your scalp stays put somewhat. I haven't had it run down my face in the rain, but I have found brown dust on my pillowcase in the morning. Still, can't do without it!

3. redclaire

redclaire Guest

I've goofed with the toppik and had to brush and I didn't lose it all. But after I got my hair styled I did have to go back and add a little more.

I wash my hair at night so I don't notice the pillow cases.

4. Does it work for thinning at the very front and center of your scalp? I have the most thinning right at my forehead. I just don't want it to look obvious that I have it on when someone is standing right in front of me.

-Kelly

5. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Yes it should be effective for that but practice makes perfect! Using some hairspray helps prevent the fibres moving.

6. Prini

Prini Guest

I don't brush my hair after I put it in (that day), but brush the following days with no problems. I tap it on the front/part center, and also areas on the side where there's hair spaces. The trick is to find your color.
    It can dry your scalp since it's a powder, but I use it because there's days I cannot stand to look at the scalp.

Prini

7. I have brushed my hair after I put it on and gently styled the top and front of my hair after applying it and while I may move it around a little, I do not lose the effect. I put a light spray of hair spray on my hair once I pat down the Toppik and that seems to help.

On a side note, I have to use two colors - Medium Brown and Blonde to get a good match. I use the darker color first and the blonde on top and then use a blush brush to set it. It looks more natural since I am dark blonde but have a lot of blonde highlights mixed in.

8. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone tried the new spray applicator? Perhaps it applies the powder more evenly and more on the hair/less on the scalp?

9. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

One of my actors bought it and says it puffs the product on and prefers it to shaking it on, but he did say he struggled with his hair line.

10. seliweli

seliweli Guest

Toppik

I'm a newbie and would like to say that I have tried toppik and Loved it but there was a major problem... Everyone saw it on my scalp. My scalp is white and the area I applied it was brown or the color of cinnimon. I hated that so I just stoped using it. Maybe I was doing it wrong but that was the only problem.

11. redclaire

redclaire Guest

Re: Toppik

I wonder if you couldn't buy the blonde and apply it first and then add your color. It might bulk up your hair and keep the brown from sticking to your scalp in an obvious way.

I've also used a q-tip to go in and fix the scalp so it doesn't look "dirty".

12. LuBee

LuBee Guest

One warning about the blonde - it is really yellow on the scalp. I have better luck putting the darker color on the scalp (lt. brn) and the blonde on top. And yes, the Q-tip cleaning up the scalp a bit does work.

13. luluflower

luluflower Guest

toppik and couvre

Hi there,

I was just reading the posts about applying toppik, and it took me awhile to get the application down pat.

For me I use Couvre first with triangle sponge and then "fix" it with a q-tip so it is even. Then I finish styling and apply toppik. When I first started using Toppik it would all fall through onto my forhead (happend when I was out at a dinner thank goodness I have bangs :oops: ) now I use a dense blush brush and just brush it into my hairline and I haven't had any fall through again. I will also pat it down on my part then spray. I have had luck with the colours I use Medium Brown in both Couvre and Toppik. I started with the Light Brown but it was a little red for me.

I haven't looked at in in direct sunlight yet, but I suppose for now it is the best we can do! I find it better than looking at my scalp. If people want to stare then they get what they derserve!

lulu

14. summer006

summer006 Guest

I ALWAYS brush my hair after using Toppik.. I want to make sure everything is set and won't fall onto my forehead.

Q-tips are great for fixing up parts. And I like a combo of couvre and toppik.

15. Soprano

Soprano Guest

When i apply Toppik, I have a special comb that I lay down at my part, to help it look more natural. I try to get away without using alot because none of their colors really matches my blonde hair (the blonde is too fake yellow looking and the light brown is a little too dark - but that's the one I've ended up using at the roots.

However, when I first started using the Toppik, I ended up out in the rain without an umbrella. Even though it was just sprinkling out, the rain drops that fell on my scalp left patches of washed away Toppik. Maybe I didn't use enough hairspray or something - i don't know.

I'm thinking of trying Kerasome because of the better color selection.