Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Toppik vs Nanogen

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Krisann79, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Krisann79

Krisann79 Guest

I'm looking to get one to fill in my part until my hair (hopefully) grows back from thyroid hormone fluctuations. I can see my scalp and use eyeshadow right now but need something a little better.

Which is better for someone who uses a part?
    Why do you like it better?

2. Domi587

Domi587 Guest

Hi,

I'm a big fan of Nanogen although they are essentially the same product so I think either would do. Particularly around my hairline (parting isn't much of a problem for me at the moment but I guess it's the same) I can't see the Nanogen at all when it's applied, it looks perfect. With Toppik it's not bad at all, but looks like I need to wash my hair or something, there's something a little odd about the texture or shine of my hair that I can't put my finger on.

Plenty of others on here use Dermmatch too, it's a color for your scalp. I'm not so sold on this as it's not nice to apply, I get tons on my hair rather than my scalp but the effect looks really good. Nanogen also make a version called Aquamatch which I haven't tried, it looks much the same but it's a pencil instead, so might be easier to put on your parting.

Let me know if you try it and it's any good!

3. Krisann79

Krisann79 Guest

I've been using Toppik along my part by just covering my part with a q-tip and it's been working GREAT! I'm so pleased with the results!
    :punk:

4. I have been using toppik for the last 2 years and did not have a problem with it at all until I died my hair lighter and started using the medium brown, it’s got a dusty fake colour to it, when first applied to freshly clean hair it is noticeable then afterwards when it settles its perfect. Then I go to the gym, sweat a little and notice it starts having a greeny hue to it. I didn’t have this problem with dark brown so I am thinking of dying my hair dark brown again…. My hair colour now is not a generic colour, its like a medium brown but with a reddish tinge…. I am also going to try nanogen in my next order so I will let you know how that goes (and if it is gym compatible!)…

5. Arisemysoul

Arisemysoul Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm blonde and nanogen colors look better on me than toppik.

6. Thanks Arisemysoul, I've researched pros n cons and a lot of peeps prefer nano over toppik. Can't wait to use nano!

7. Ok so here is my verdict on my first day of usage of Nanogen (Dark Brown)… keeping in mind that I didn’t plan enough time for hair (prob only 15 mins including drying and styling) whereas I usually allow a half hour… so it was rush rush…BUT so far I think I prefer my usual regime of Toppik, (Medium Brown) my only problem with Toppik was that it gave off a greeny hue, and Nano seems to give off a bluey hue…. So its really the case of which colour is better to have noticed on your head in the sun? green? Or blue? LOL…

Maybe too quick to judge, another thing with Nano is that it doesn’t blend in with the hair well as well as toppik, it takes a few tries… but like I said, I will perservere… I am colouring my hair back to my natural colour (dark brown) on Friday so the Nano may blend in better then, and the bluey hue may be less obvious…

I’ll keep you updated :)

8. here is the bluey hue.... photo taken against sun from my bathroom window... will take another shot with my dark brown hair on friday... what do you think?

Attached Files:

• hair.JPG
      hair.JPG
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
    • hair.JPG
      hair.JPG
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
    • hair.JPG
      hair.JPG
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
  9. I hope not, why do these things have to have hues? LOL is there a colour/brand that doesn't give off hues? Im afraid to go in the sunlight now, might as well be a vampire :p

10. Tara101

Tara101 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Nanogen is without doubt is the best. It gives more natural look.The array of colors that look natural under strong lights is the most important aspects.