Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Treatment Advice Rogaine Vs. Spirnolactone

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Caitlin, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Caitlin

Caitlin New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair has gotten so thin over the past 4 years over which I tried Rogaine for 6 months on and off but never long enough to notice a difference I'm finally fed up and realize something needs to be done as I am now to self conscious to even leave my house so I am looking for recommendations on the best treatment to try first my dermatologist immediately wanted me to start Spironolactone but I wanted all my hormone levels checked first for an outlying cause after everything has come back normal I'm now grasping at straws to hopefully find a treatment that works so if anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate any advice TIA

2. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It is not one or the other with these medications, you need both to fight Androgenic hair loss successfully.

Minoxidil lengthens the growth cycle, promotes hair growth--which slows down during Androgenic alopecia and can make hair loss more apparent sooner.
    Anti Androgen--which is how Spironolactone lowers your T levels which lowers the conversion of T to DHT which attacks the follicle. so it slows down the progression of hair loss.

Not everyone responds to both or even either at times...but to have the most efficient hair remedy is to have both they work synergistically together.

*i use topical forms or Spironolactone and finasteride so you may want to research that if you are hesitant or concerned about the oral meds..it works well for me as does foam minoxidil, but everyone is different. I also need to keep my ferritin up around 100 (it was at one point very low around 10).

3. sdp10112

sdp10112 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am on both as well as Propecia. I just upped my Propecia to 5 mg. started rogaine 3 1/2 months ago. Went through a terrible shed. Have seen no recovery yet. I was wondering where you get topical Spironolactone and finasteride? No dermatologist I have been to has even mentioned it.

I have had extremely high ferritin for years and just recently it dropped from 450 to 65. Now I know I need to raise it some. What do you do to raise yours? How long does it take to raise ferritin? Any advice would be great.
    Thanks!

4. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You have to go to hair surgeons who also treat medically it depends where you live.
    Or
    You have to find a dermatologist who specializes in alopecia who is up on research for these things
    If you live in Canada try Hasson and Wong (think Europe can get from them as well)
    I think Dr Cole in Georgia sells but not sure if to women yet but he has nice people who work for him so you can ask.

I posted a link somewhere to another site where they give a way to make it at home from the pills..I dont think its complicated but that depends on you personally how well you are with measurements and directions etc.

You have to bring it up with your physicians and bring print outs of the actual studies if you can find them (they are not hard I have fond a lot in past)

I dont know your Iron sounds good level to me--i dont think this is necessarily your issue...mine was 10 for years.
    i got mine up wth my Dr who did blood work ever 6 weeks and slowly started me on iron pills and depending on blood work upped the dose--you have to do it that way or it is going to go too high.