Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Treatments

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Amygal, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Amygal

Amygal Guest

Hi Everyone,

I have been suffering from Alopecia Areata for about 3 years now.

I have about 3 significant patches.

I take a multivitamin and a vitamin e. I use rogaine too.

I don't know what else to do?

Please give me some suggestions.

2. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

have you been to a derm and gotten steroid injections?

3. Amygal

Amygal Guest

Ya, I have had coristone injections.

I forgot about that. I don't know how because it was painful.

4. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Did your condition improve at all with the injections?

5. Amygal

Amygal Guest

I have peach fuzz but that is it. A small bit grew back but not enough to say it really did anything.

I had them about 1.5 years ago.

6. lharrison

lharrison Guest

Amygal,
    I had injections every 4 weeks june, july, aug, sept..and my hair grew back by november I no longer had to wear my hat..I lost about 50% of my hair, due to stress...how long did you do the injections for?
    lharrison

7. Amygal

Amygal Guest

Wow, all of your hair is back now?

I only had it done once because I went away to school. The doctor was too igorant to recommend me one in the area where I was moving to. However, I found one and he told me that the cortisone (steriod) injections will speed up the process but it doesn't mean that it won't fall back out again. He said if it is going to grow back it will. (according to him)

I have also used a strong cortisone cream on the area but the doctor took me off it because I was showing some signs of side affects (reddness/ some tiny veins surfaced).

Right now I am using Rogaine and taking a mulitvitamin. Also, I am using this stuff called Propecia cream to take away the reddness (side affect) from the cortisone

It was soooo painful (the injections) and I can usually take pain. Was it painful for you???

I would have kept up with the injections but I was told it wouldn't do me any good.

8. lharrison

lharrison Guest

Amygal,
    Do you have Alopecia Areata? My hair loss was due to stress...my brother almost died..he was very sick, it was a very stressful time, he made it...6mths later, I started losing my hair(1 year ago) I went to my doctor, we talked, figured out why I was losing my hair, went to a derm., by then I had been going to the tanning bed, my hair started growing back in March, by the end of May had hair, no longer had to wear my hat, mid June, I started out just losing patches of hair back of my head.. "u" shaped...I went back to the derm. in June started injections, June, July,Aug, Sept....I would get about 7-10 every time I went....It is like WOMEN who wants to lose weight..you will do anything...my husband would go w/me, there is a numbing cream, you can put on, before getting the injections...again I was losing my hair due to my brother he is an addict..over -dosing...just not thinking.....now I am better I have my hair back, I know I thought I was wasting my time w/ the injections, but once my hair was coming in...and staying, i was happy....hang in there..it is a lond road, and it sucks!!!
    what caused your hair loss? do you have Alopecia Areata? love to hear your story....Talke care
    lharrison

9. Amygal

Amygal Guest

Yes I have Alopecia Areata. I have been losing my hair for about 3 years now. At that time (3 years ago) I had a lot of stress in my life. My mom went bankrupt; tried to support her; work drama; my boyfriend dumped me; went to a new university/ a lot of late nights studying. So there was a lot going on. My doctor did say their is a causal relationship with stress but there is no direct link. People with alopecia in their family history have a higher risk of getting it. I think my grandmother had it- but not for certain. I think I have been seeing some improvements with my hair growing back in but it is very miminal.

10. lharrison

lharrison Guest

Amygal, hair loss sucks.....I am still dealing w/it, covering a spot, hopefully I will be able to, trim my hair In a mth or 2....this is a good website..stick w/these girls..they will get you through it!!
    Talk soon, lharrison

11. Amygal

Amygal Guest

Thanks lHarrison. Your kind words are helpful!!!!
    Sincerely, Amygal

12. Amygal

Amygal Guest

Thanks lharrison. Your so nice and supportive!!!

13. tearie

tearie Guest

Amygal, pray like mad and leave the rest to God. You are doing all you can possibly do to fix your hair situation. The rest is up to God, or fate.

I wish you best of luck.

I've read in several places that hair can grow back without warning at anytime. Let's hope that happens to you, to me, and to everyone.

14. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Well said, tearie

15. Amygal

Amygal Guest

Thanks everyone!

16. SAMANTHA07

SAMANTHA07 Guest

lharrison, how rapid was your hairloss?
    i lost lamost all my hair due to stress as well

17. lharrison

lharrison Guest

Samantha07, my hair loss was fast, I started lossing end of dec...by the end of feb. I had lost 90% of it...by May I was not wearing a hat anymore, I had a full head of hair...I tell ya..stress can do it to ya...I know some people may not believe that stress is it...the stress I went through...I could feel it in my body..I do not handle death well at all ....I can not believe I did not take anything to get throught it....I never want to go throught it , again!!
    I put myself, kids, husband first....I can not change my brother, only he can I realize that..now I can only hope the best for him.what kind of stress are you going through?
    Talk to you soon,
    lharrison

18. Amygal

Amygal Guest

lharrision,
    Ya I believe that stress can do it. But for some people it just happens even if your not stressed. But in my case as well, it was due to a lot of different things going on (stress). Unfortunately, it still hasn't grown back for me.
    Sincerely, Amygal

19. SAMANTHA07

SAMANTHA07 Guest

i had a bit of problems about 3 years ago, then about 1 1/2 later, my husband started a new buisness, then i become pregnant and i worked till the end, not having much time to leisure. after 2 months i returned to work and left no time for myself and i felt really stressed out.
    the doctor told me that the pregnancy was both physical and mentaly stressful for my body

20. lharrison

lharrison Guest

Samantha07
    Hang in there..how long has it been since you have seen your derm? You just have to figure out what is the best treatment for you....mine was injections..I just had to stick w/it for 4 mths...evry 4 weeks,,was not fun, but it paid off in the long run.
    lharrison